Plant's Post-Zeppelin Career. Love it or hate it?

Evster2012

138 members have voted

1. 1. Love it or hate it?

• Great work! Wonderful diversity!
    • If it ain't Zeppelin, I don't wanna know!

His later solo work is certainly the best. The first bits of solo stuff sound like dated pop songs, he, like Jimmy Page, seemed like they were trying way too hard to get away from Zeppelin. But around the early nineties he seemed to embrace his hard rockin' past and his solo work got better and better. Mighty Rearranger and Raising Sand are the pinnacles of his career out of Zeppelin.

His later solo work is certainly the best. The first bits of solo stuff sound like dated pop songs, he, like Jimmy Page, seemed like they were trying way too hard to get away from Zeppelin. But around the early nineties he seemed to embrace his hard rockin' past and his solo work got better and better. Mighty Rearranger and Raising Sand are the pinnacles of his career out of Zeppelin.

I love his early solo albums (especially Manic Nirvana which granted is a bit later) but I'm definitely more drawn to his albums from Fate of Nations on forward and would say FoN and Mighty Rearranger would be favorites.

I think there are few, if any artists, with the amount of success Robert Plant has had through the years, with LZ, his solo stuff, and now with Allison.

Is there any other single person with the degree of success that Roberts had? He's been in the spotlight since the late 60's and just won a Grammy for his project with Allison. Seldom has the spotlight waned for Planty.

Roberts talented and diverse.

My one lament is that he won't get together with his old LZ pals and do a couple more gigs Stateside.

Sorry to bring it up, but I had to say it coz it's how I feel.

I burn to see them all together. It would be a dream come true.

I feel very blessed to of seen Page and Plant live together. It's probably the closest I will ever come to the magic that could be of the Three J's together.

I think there are few, if any artists, with the amount of success Robert Plant has had through the years, with LZ, his solo stuff, and now with Allison.

Is there any other single person with the degree of success that Roberts had? He's been in the spotlight since the late 60's and just won a Grammy for his project with Allison. Seldom has the spotlight waned for Planty.

Roberts talented and diverse.

My one lament is that he won't get together with his old LZ pals and do a couple more gigs Stateside.

I feel very blessed to of seen Page and Plant live together. It's probably the closest I will ever come to the magic that could be of the Three J's together.

Yes he is very talented and diverse and I think that diversity is what keeps him in the spotlight because he's not resting on his past glories. He wants to push forward.

He's actually won six Grammy's for Raising Sand :D

Who knows it may happen :)

I still have hope :angel:

Pictures At Eleven, Principle Of Moments, Honeydrippers Vol.1, & Shaken & Stirred are all really good albums. After that I can't stomach them.

Now & Zen, Manic Nirvana, Fate Of Nations, Dreamland, & Mighty Rearranger are just dreck to me. Terrible stuff mostly with some of the worst production Ive ever heard.

Having said that, I was really happy with "Raising Sand". It's music that is pushing him to new corners creatively & its something I'm glad he's continueing to pursue.

So I really like the early stuff, HATE the middle, & enjoying the end of the highway.

Pictures At Eleven, Principle Of Moments, Honeydrippers Vol.1, & Shaken & Stirred are all really good albums. After that I can't stomach them.

Now & Zen, Manic Nirvana, Fate Of Nations, Dreamland, & Mighty Rearranger are just dreck to me. Terrible stuff mostly with some of the worst production Ive ever heard.

Having said that, I was really happy with "Raising Sand". It's music that is pushing him to new corners creatively & its something I'm glad he's continueing to pursue.

So I really like the early stuff, HATE the middle, & enjoying the end of the highway.

Well as I said above, I love all of them but I'm more partial to Fate of Nations, Dreamland and Mighty Rearranger, the latter I think some of his best songwriting and lyrics to date. I will agree that Raising Sand was a beautiful album.

Well as I said above, I love all of them but I'm more partial to Fate of Nations, Dreamland and Mighty Rearranger, the latter I think some of his best songwriting and lyrics to date. I will agree that Raising Sand was a beautiful album.

Well that mid period, it's not even so much the songs that bother as much as the production. One of the few songs I like off of "Now & Zen" is "Ship Of Fools" & I cant bare listening to the production on it. Same with "Liars Dance" on "Manic Nirvana". Good song but I cant listen to it. But a song like "Little By Little" which definately sounds like it's time period doesn't bother me at all, & a lot of people are turned off by that song for that very reason, but I love it lol :P . To each his own. Listening to "66 To Timbuktu" can be a very frustrating experience for me, especially disc 2 where I'm extremely loving a song or detesting a song.

Even a beautiful song lyrically like "I Believe", I just can't get past the production.

Well that mid period, it's not even so much the songs that bother as much as the production. One of the few songs I like off of "Now & Zen" is "Ship Of Fools" & I cant bare listening to the production on it. Same with "Liars Dance" on "Manic Nirvana". Good song but I cant listen to it. But a song like "Little By Little" which definately sounds like it's time period doesn't bother me at all, & a lot of people are turned off by that song for that very reason, but I love it lol :P . To each his own. Listening to "66 To Timbuktu" can be a very frustrating experience for me, especially disc 2 where I'm extremely loving a song or detesting a song.

Even a beautiful song lyrically like "I Believe", I just can't get past the production.

Have you listened to the albums remastered? They sound cleaner though I never found the original production an issue to my ears. Ship of Fools and Liar's Dance are both beautiful songs and excellent showcases for Doug Boyle's playing. I love Shaken and Stirred. It's not my favorite of his but I think it was an interesting album and there are some really great lyrics there.

Have you listened to the albums remastered? They sound cleaner though I never found the original production an issue to my ears. Ship of Fools and Liar's Dance are both beautiful songs and excellent showcases for Doug Boyle's playing. I love Shaken and Stirred. It's not my favorite of his but I think it was an interesting album and there are some really great lyrics there.

No, I havent. It's not an issue for myself as far as technical glitches in the production as much as in it's style. "Shaken & Stirred" sounds very much of it's time, 1986, & it somehow works for me. "Now & Zen", released 2 years later in 1988 , just sounds horrible to these ears with "lame" 80's production that to me carried over to even "Dreamland".

I like live versions of some of those songs because a good song is a good song is a good song, etc, due to a songs structure. The "sound" of it though can nullify it's potential as a "recording".

No, I havent. It's not an issue for myself as far as technical glitches in the production as much as in it's style. "Shaken & Stirred" sounds very much of it's time, 1986, & it somehow works for me. "Now & Zen", released 2 years later in 1988 , just sounds horrible to these ears with "lame" 80's production that to me carried over to even "Dreamland".

I like live versions of some of those songs because a good song is a good song is a good song, etc, due to a songs structure. The "sound" of it though can nullify it's potential as a "recording".

Gotcha - though I don't hear the albums that way at all as far as production :)

Isn't Liars Dance just an acoustic guitar and a vocal?

Yeah, if someone is performing the song in front of you it is. It's a pretty song musically. The "sound" on the "recording" irritates the hell out of me though, rendering it a completely unenjoyable listening experience for me. Different production styles for different types of songs can make or break an album or song for me. I love Zep's "In Through The Outdoor". The production works for that specific album. The "sound" & style of production on "ITTOD" would be horrible for "Physical Graffiti" & vice versa. Thats the best way I can explain it at the moment lol.

Yeah, if someone is performing the song in front of you it is. It's a pretty song musically. The "sound" on the "recording" irritates the hell out of me though, rendering it a completely unenjoyable listening experience for me.

Oh wow! I think you must have a neurosis about this kind of stuff then because I find the "production" is very subtle in Liars Dance!! What is it specifically about the sound you don't like? I"m just curious, that's all.

Oh wow! I think you must have a neurosis about this kind of stuff then because I find the "production" is very subtle in Liars Dance!! What is it specifically about the sound you don't like? I"m just curious, that's all.

:P Lol I do have a neurosis about this kind of thing, guilty as charged.

What I don't like about the studio version of "Liar's Dance" is that I feel the production doesn't let the song breathe. It just doesn't work for me. Now, I can watch the performance of it from Knebworth 90' over & over again & I love it. It's my own personal thing I guess. I'm not putting down Robert or that specific song themselves, but most of those recordings make me cringe. "Heaven Knows" is another. Great song but I hear it & I'm like "What were the producers & Robert thinking? It could be so much better." Not performance wise, just the sound doesn't fit the song.

I'm just that way, particularly with my favorite artists from the Stones to Johnny Cash on certain songs & albums.

I think he's done some great things. Up to and including his work with Alison Krauss. It's not on the level of Zeppelin, but yet again, what IS?

But he's not trying to recreate Zep in his solo career (clearly some of the influence is there naturally) which is why to a large extent he's been so successful. It's like he's started over :)

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
Have not liked his post music. We are all fortunate that Page discovered him because if he had not there would never have been any other Plant music. His work with "Led Zeppelin" opened all other doors.

I think the "if" makes no sense. None of us has the crystall ball and can tell what could have happened etc etc.

Have not liked his post music. We are all fortunate that Page discovered him because if he had not there would never have been any other Plant music. His work with "Led Zeppelin" opened all other doors.

I don't think that's true per se. Obviously we won't ever know for sure because history happened the way it did but Robert was already garnering a reputation as a singer not to be missed and I suspect if Page hadn't come along, it would have been only a matter of time before he'd have become famous regardless.

I don't think that's true per se. Obviously we won't ever know for sure because history happened the way it did but Robert was already garnering a reputation as a singer not to be missed and I suspect if Page hadn't come along, it would have been only a matter of time before he'd have become famous regardless.

I was at FYI today (music store in the US, not sure if its in Europe) to buy Raising Sand and was amazed to find a used copy of Mighty Rearranger for $4! I don't, for the life of me, understand why so many LZ fans cannot appreciate Robert's post-LZ work because he has come out with some great stuff and he always goes in a somewhat new direction yet has that awesome bluesy feel. When I think of all those LZ fans who can't get into Robert's solo material, including the poor sap who returned my new CD, I feel bad for them.

I was at FYI today (music store in the US, not sure if its in Europe) to buy Raising Sand and was amazed to find a used copy of Mighty Rearranger for $4! I don't, for the life of me, understand why so many LZ fans cannot appreciate Robert's post-LZ work because he has come out with some great stuff and he always goes in a somewhat new direction yet has that awesome bluesy feel. When I think of all those LZ fans who can't get into Robert's solo material, including the poor sap who returned my new CD, I feel bad for them.

I don't understand it either but cheers for being one of the ones that does appreciate it :beer: I think it's great that he hasn't rested on the past other than to use it as a springboard to take him in a new direction. He's always venturing into uncharted territory musically and I have a hell of a lot of respect for him doing that :D

Archived