Plantations

mad dog

One of my favorite things about listening to live Zep is Plants Banter between songs. It helps to get the listener a feel of the event and whats going on at the time. It adds to the feeling of being there so much I like it and adds to the uniqueness of live shows.

As a long time listener of live music in general I have always wondered why official live releases of bands cut this type of stuff out. I can understand issues such as time, radio play considerations, philosophy of only music for a release, and other things I probably don't know of. Page is such a genius sometimes that if I wonder if he thought of such things to included in the official live releases or just didn't realize the impact of inclusion.

Im not sure what my point is, just rambling....

Depending on the source of a bootleg they might also edit out the talking or it might be at the begining of one song instead of the end of another. I just noticed this the other day as the way I often recognize right away what bootleg a random song is from is by the talking before, but a different source came on and it went right to the song, so I didnt know.

Ive def come to love and quote them often.

"the man who made constipation passe"

One of my favorite things about listening to live Zep is Plants Banter between songs. It helps to get the listener a feel of the event and whats going on at the time. It adds to the feeling of being there so much I like it and adds to the uniqueness of live shows.

As a long time listener of live music in general I have always wondered why official live releases of bands cut this type of stuff out. I can understand issues such as time, radio play considerations, philosophy of only music for a release, and other things I probably don't know of. Page is such a genius sometimes that if I wonder if he thought of such things to included in the official live releases or just didn't realize the impact of inclusion.

I'm sure while some people love it others hate it. They are probably playing safe by excluding it as most people would buy it just to hear the music.

Meg

One of my favorites is from Japan in 1971. I believe it's from Osaka on September 24th. A couple good parts to this.

"Where's Bonzo?...Mr. Bonham is in the back with a geisha." The band without Bonzo of course, launch into an impromptu version of Friends.

After finishing the song, Robert says the following to the audience. Not sure how many understood him.

"After three everybody say Mr. Bonham...one, two, three, MR. BONHAM!!!...for fucks sake..Where were you man?" I think he had to make a run to the facilities, since he was probably still recovering from a night Out On The Tiles. At least that's what I've heard from other members on this forum.

I'm sure while some people love it others hate it. They are probably playing safe by excluding it as most people would buy it just to hear the music.

Meg

Yeah, I was disappointed that the Jennings Farm Blues version I have has the Plantations omitted from it. :angry:

One of my favorites is from Japan in 1971. I believe it's from Osaka on September 24th. A couple good parts to this.

"Where's Bonzo?...Mr. Bonham is in the back with a geisha." The band without Bonzo of course, launch into an impromptu version of Friends.

After finishing the song, Robert says the following to the audience. Not sure how many understood him.

"After three everybody say Mr. Bonham...one, two, three, MR. BONHAM!!!...for fucks sake..Where were you man?" I think he had to make a run to the facilities, since he was probably still recovering from a night Out On The Tiles. At least that's what I've heard from other members on this forum.

I had an incomplete version of this show before. 9-29-71 Osaka, and they went into "Tangerine" by themselves. I have the complete version now, and it's still funny. When Bonham comes back Robert says something like,"Where were you mate?, they were chanting for you!" And Bonham says"La-di-da,La-di-da, and then he goes into a wonderful "Moby Dick". I'll have to listen to the complete version again to remember the song order. There was also some interesting chatter, after they comleted "HeartBreaker" you can hear one of them complaining and I can't tell whether it was Jimmy or Bonzo. " He won't listen to me " " He won't do what I tell him to do". Was this Jimmy complaining to Robert about Bonzo? Or was it Bonzo complaining about his drum tech?

Any way this recording stand out as one of my favorite openings ever, with Immigrant/Heartbreaker!

I had an incomplete version of this show before. 9-29-71 Osaka, and they went into "Tangerine" by themselves. I have the complete version now, and it's still funny. When Bonham comes back Robert says something like,"Where were you mate?, they were chanting for you!" And Bonham says"La-di-da,La-di-da, and then he goes into a wonderful "Moby Dick". I'll have to listen to the complete version again to remember the song order. There was also some interesting chatter, after they comleted "HeartBreaker" you can hear one of them complaining and I can't tell whether it was Jimmy or Bonzo. " He won't listen to me " " He won't do what I tell him to do". Was this Jimmy complaining to Robert about Bonzo? Or was it Bonzo complaining about his drum tech?

Any way this recording stand out as one of my favorite openings ever, with Immigrant/Heartbreaker!

hmm... they opened with that from June 1970 to late June 1972... so I hope you didn't think this show was the only one that had that opening...

It may have been John Paul Jones. There was one show, and one of the few times, where JPJ went off like a rocket at Bonzo.

Meg

hmm... they opened with that from June 1970 to late June 1972... so I hope you didn't think this show was the only one that had that opening...

I'm aware of that, and I have several 70-72' shows with that opening. This one stands out because of Jimmy's solo in Immigrant inc. Wah-wah pedal, and the Solo in Heartbreaker with the xtra tidbits. I think I,ve read that they are Paul Simons 59th street bridge, the Bach Classical piece?

• 4 weeks later...

i love robert plantations too he's so funny i really loved the time he told the audience about bron-yr-aur and what it means in english ("golden breast which leaves alot to the imagination"...)

I'd guess its partly down to Plant himself not wanting it released, shame as has been said he comes across as a smart witty guy alot of the time rather than the typical bonehead rabble rowser.

Archived