The hermit painting

lucyinthesky

If anyone ever discovers my last post; I want you to know that there is more, way, way more. It is so amazing! Can it be that I am the only one who knows? I have scoured the internet for any post about this painting and it's hidden images, the meaning of it all. What do these things represent? Who painted it? All i find is a five year old post with a bunch of replies about the lantern! What about the dancer in the rocks, the thinking man? it's all there in the direction and angles if anyone bothers to look.

goodbye

i was always more intrigued by the writing in the stairway lyrics way back when i was a youth. why some letters have flourishes on them in some words and not in others etc

The drawing is attributed to Barrington Colby.

I think it is anyone's guess whether that is a pseudonym Jimmy used. So that is still up in the air.

Jimmy did go to art school, and the hermit was someone I think we all could say he identifies strongly with.

And (sigh).... reading the first of this thread made me realize how much I miss Evster's posts on here!

:(

There's been no indication that a personage by the name of Barrington Colby exists. Plus, Jimmy has been known to be use pseudonyms and the artwork is right up his street in terms of his spiritual interests.

I can't believe people rather asume it's Jimmy Page instead of just going to google to find information.

When you use his accurate name (Barrington Coleby) you'll find out more about this man in less then a 2 minute search..

What he looks like; http://www.luzernfoto.ch/img_view.php?prev_path=albums%2FStadt+Luzern%2FSchwanenplatz%2FStrassenkunst&name=Strassenkunst&filename=EA080420-H-09.jpg&first_name=Stadt+Luzern&sec_name=Schwanenplatz&page=2&alb=forth&PHPSESSID=a341fe2c5d0ea06b72ef5b9c686546f1

Want to give him a call?

http://tel.local.ch/en/d/Ittigen/3063/Coleby-Barrington-KrUJa0Yij5hJyLmYpE38Hg

When you see his other paintings you'll clearly recognise the "hermit" style of painting.

Where is a link to his studio or other works?

Barrington has moved out of his apartment in Ittigen. I have a contact in the Lucerne art scene who is asking around for me. I'll post here if we track him down. In the meantime, here's some photos of him and some of his works.

post-20091-0-01146700-1375140665_thumb.j

post-20091-0-13048900-1375140667_thumb.j

post-20091-0-99141100-1375140670_thumb.j

post-20091-0-28884500-1375140672.jpg

post-20091-0-35472000-1375140674_thumb.j

post-20091-0-86991500-1375140675_thumb.j

post-20091-0-64371800-1375140679_thumb.j

post-20091-0-42199200-1375140681_thumb.j

post-20091-0-40595900-1375140683_thumb.j

post-20091-0-19621600-1375140685_thumb.j

Barrington has moved out of his apartment in Ittigen. I have a contact in the Lucerne art scene who is asking around for me. I'll post here if we track him down. In the meantime, here's some photos of him and some of his works.

Cookie,

Thanks so much for helping to clarify things.

I tried Google-translate on the page posted by eixip1977 with not much success.

I also googled Barrington Coleby again with not much substance.

I think whether Mr. Coleby truly existed has been a huge mystery to most of us for many years.

It would be awesome to get a Zep-related interview with Mr. Coleby to get his side of the creation of that very iconic painting!

Thanks again! :)

Cookie,

Thanks so much for helping to clarify things.

I tried Google-translate on the page posted by eixip1977 with not much success.

I also googled Barrington Coleby again with not much substance.

I think whether Mr. Coleby truly existed has been a huge mystery to most of us for many years.

It would be awesome to get a Zep-related interview with Mr. Coleby to get his side of the creation of that very iconic painting!

Thanks again! :)

I agree. That page is a difficult one. From what I've heard of Coleby, he left England for Switzerland, and moves between villages there. He constantly paints and creates work, and contributes to small regional exhibitions and art shows, as seen in the photos we have of him. I work in the art industry so I'm talking to all the gallery owners I know in Switzerland to try and find more of his work.

Working on contacting him, hopefully we'll have a breakthrough soon. He's dropped off the face of the earth so successfully that many people doubt he even existed in the first place, it's a real achievement.

I agree. That page is a difficult one. From what I've heard of Coleby, he left England for Switzerland, and moves between villages there. He constantly paints and creates work, and contributes to small regional exhibitions and art shows, as seen in the photos we have of him. I work in the art industry so I'm talking to all the gallery owners I know in Switzerland to try and find more of his work.

Working on contacting him, hopefully we'll have a breakthrough soon. He's dropped off the face of the earth so successfully that many people doubt he even existed in the first place, it's a real achievement.

I think many of us would like to know the ins and outs of his commision and how closely he was told to stick to the original Pamela Colman Smith hermit card.

I really do hope your leads pan out and you are able to contact him.

Got a couple of leads on Barrington, one through an art dealer in Zurich, also talking to the company who sell his postcards to see if we can find him. Fingers crossed.

Don't suppose anyone knows 'Rockhound'? He's mentioned a few times as an English guy who knows Barry, he might be known to some Led Zeppelin fans.

Looking at the pictures, seems a bit like a mix of Douanier Rousseau, Mucha and Hyeronimus Bosch. Interesting and well painted, but not that original, in my humble opinion.

The hermit in "The Hermit" looks an awful lot like Seasick Steve if you ask me. Sure SS was a lot younger then and not many knew of him but there was some pretty interesting stuff going on around the LZ IV era if you know what I mean, wink wink.

The hermit in "The Hermit" looks an awful lot like Seasick Steve if you ask me. Sure SS was a lot younger then and not many knew of him but there was some pretty interesting stuff going on around the LZ IV era if you know what I mean, wink wink.

Now that you mention it.....yes, he does! Lol

:hysterical:

• 1 month later...

Upon endless searches and researches of the name Barrington Colby, I can only say no one else seems to have heard of him. And as Page used to check into hotels under the psedonym Chevalier MacGregor, I don't doubt his ability to create names you'd never suspect (I know, MacGregor Mathers).

That said, I've leaned more towards the "I suspect Jimmy may (stress on may) have painted it" camp.

Now, is that in fact a dove beneath the hermit's foot? Is that a hint of a cloven hoof in the hermit's shoe? Are those the feathers of a fallen angel subtly folded into his cloak? And why is his head so damned pointy? Horns under that hood? 6-pointed Seal of Solomon" from the Kabballah in the lantern?

Relax people, this is just for fun! biggrin.gif

The OTO was based on the innermost esoteric aspects of Freemasonry ceremonies (the OTO 1st degree was equivalent to the 33 degree in Freemasonry). The most esoteric aspects of Freemasonry were in turn built on the most esoteric aspects of Kabballah discovered by the Knight's Templar , which were derived from ancient Egyptian occult systems.

Cheers,

Indi

This is very interesting, Indi - thanks. I have a question. Since the Knights Templar were of Catholic origin and have a very fascinating history - do you know why they would become attached to "esoteric" aspects of the Jewish Kabballah, or did I mis-read you in that they only discovered it. I knew that Freemasonry had a connection to ancient Egypt and that they

did not allow Catholics to enter their organization. Maybe they were all more interested in the esoteric and occult systems more than their system's religious roots.

This is very interesting, Indi - thanks. I have a question. Since the Knights Templar were of Catholic origin and have a very fascinating history - do you know why they would become attached to "esoteric" aspects of the Jewish Kabballah, or did I mis-read you in that they only discovered it. I knew that Freemasonry had a connection to ancient Egypt and that they

did not allow Catholics to enter their organization. Maybe they were all more interested in the esoteric and occult systems more than their system's religious roots.

The original Knight Templars were a group of wealthy nine French noblemen who purportedly adopted the convenient guise of Catholic monks serving Christ, as it bestowed the privilege to facilitate unimpeded travel throughout Europe (predominantly under the sway of the Vatican at the time) and the "Middle East", particularly "Palestine". By doing so they could:

1. Conduct their secret purpose and magical activities without arising the Vatican's suspicion.

2. Seek out ancient Kabbalistic manuscripts, which contained "lost" occult (hidden magical) information that could enable them to gain power and influence.

The Knight Templars were actually alleged to be a clandestine magical cabal who practised the "dark arts", as opposed to be benign crusaders campaigning (by the sword) for the propagation and upholding of Christian Catholicism.

In certain circles, it is believed the Holy Grail and the quest for it, which is strongly associated with the Knight Templars was not a physical object in which the blood of Christ was caught at the time of his Crucifixion, but rather a piece of esoteric information in manuscript form that conferred on those who possessed it great occult power.

Cheers,

Indi

• 3 months later...

This is another painting by Colby, from a 1996 disc by Phil Thornton, who (coincidentally or not) has collaborated with Hossan Ramzy, who was involved with No Quarter.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-media/product-gallery/B00000E00N/ref=cm_ciu_pdp_images_0?ie=UTF8&index=0

Similarities are clear.

post-12775-0-58104600-1388070889.gif

• 10 months later...

Archived