Classical Music!

Jarlaxle 56

• 7 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I have been thinking about the origins of "heavy" music.  Many people think of Wagner but he is not my cup of tea.  I think about these pieces as the origins of heavy music.

18th Century

Bach Toccata and Fugue in d minor

19th Century

Beethoven Moonlight Sonata, 3rd movement

Chopin Etude 12 in c minor, the "Revolutionary", Polonaise op 53 in A flat - the "Heroic"

Mussorgsky - Night on Bald Mountain - original piano solo version and later orchestral versions

Franz Liszt - Mazzepa - piano solo and orchestral versions,  his piano solo version of Franz Schubert's song "Erlkonig", and Transcendental Etude No. 8 the "Wilde Jagt"

• 10 months later...
On 27.1.2018 at 1:27 PM, Kiwi_Zep_Fan87 said:

Can someone please recommend a good CD compilation for the works of Mozart?

I am looking for a compilation that houses just his piano based, violin based and orchestra work. No opera music, please!

Thanks! :) 

I have no answer to your question. IMO the Amadeus soundtrack is the best compilation of Mozart's work - but it contains opera and choir music.
And I think that Sir Neville Mariner's and Sir Colin Davis interpretations are always worth a listening.

The recording of the Symphonies 21-41 by Josef Krips with the Royal Concertgebouw Orchestra Amsterdam is quite famous.
I like it very much:

18 hours ago, LedZed66 said:

I have no answer to your question. IMO the Amadeus soundtrack is the best compilation of Mozart's work - but it contains opera and choir music.
And I think that Sir Neville Mariner's and Sir Colin Davis interpretations are always worth a listening.

The recording of the Symphonies 21-41 by Josef Krips with the Royal Concertgebouw Orchestra Amsterdam is quite famous.
I like it very much:

Hi, thanks for your reply. Now, there is this mp3 album called Mozart : The Essential Classics. I listened to the entire album on YT and needless to say, it was delightful! Now, unfortunately, the CD version of this album is out of stock. So, I was wondering whether there was another CD compilation equivalent to that.

http://www.halidon.it/sinfonicacamera-c182-artisti_vari_mozart_essential_classic-g3076-d1.html

• 9 months later...
I have a subcription for sacred choral music for more than 20 years now.
I love this kind of music very much. For me it's the real heavy music. 80 - 200 people singing, with 40 - 80 musicians on stage - no amps needed 😎

This morning Mozart was on the menue:

- Clarinet Concerto in A major KV 622 (1791)
- Requiem d-Moll KV 626 (1791)

I've heard Mozart's Requiem live many times. Once I heard it in a huge old church and nothing tops the acoustic of a church. For me the Lacrymosa is the song of songs. This is the most moving and amazing piece of music ever composed, IMO.

Next stop: Händel's Messiah next sunday

Edited by LedZed66

• 2 months later...