Finding Led Zeppelin in unrelated places

marmorek

13 minutes ago, sk8rat said:

at least it was the protesters playing it and not trump trying to reach out to the youth like Hilary. regardless led zeppelin should be kept away from politics, they are far above something so pedestrian.

I somewhat agree but Led Zeppelin and politics go all the way back to the 1976 Presidential race between Gerald Ford and Jimmy Carter.  Of course Led Zeppelin did not "endorse" either candidate. 

Edited by kingzoso

• 2 weeks later...

Last night I watched some of the premier of the new HBO drama Vinyl, which is sort of like Mad Men only about the 70's music business, created by Martin Scorsese and Mick Jagger. Much to my surprise, Led Zeppelin features quite heavily in the premier. The fictional record label at the center of the show, American Century, attempts to poach Zeppelin away from Atlantic in order to secure a buyout by Polygram. First, in a scene where the heads of American Century meet with some people from Polygram, the cover of Led Zeppelin I is shown on the screen, along with some Hindenburg footage and some very similar but not quite Led Zeppelin music. Then later a scene is shown backstage at a Led Zeppelin concert where the head of American Century talks to Robert Plant, and later a scene is featured where Peter Grant shows up at the American Century offices. I only watched a little over half the premier, so I don't know if there were any other apperances, though I doubt it.

The good: during the backstage scene, there's a moment where American Century executive Ritchie Finestra spots Peter Grant scolding some guys from the venue about bootleg posters which was almost word-for-word identical to the scene from The Song Remains The Same, which I found amusing. The actor who plays Grant is an almost exact soundalike. The costumes on Plant, Bonham, and the brief glimpse we see of Page are pretty close to their 1973 outfits, which is a nice touch.

The bad: naturally the show has to use Zeppelin soundalike music rather than actual Zeppelin music, which is kind of a drag. While the actor who plays Grant is a soundalike, he's also probably at least a foot too short and 200 lbs too light. This guy is kind of a little pipsqueak. Plant is the only Zeppelin member to have dialogue, and I can't honestly see Plant ever having the conversation he has in the show. The actor looks enough like Plant, but just doesn't really sound or talk or act like him. It's as if the actor had no idea who Plant was and just played him as the generic British rock star.

In any event, it was interesting to see Zeppelin play such a prominent role in this show.

http://www.vulture.com/2016/02/vinyl-recap-season-1-episode-1.html

I wondered how long it would be till this got brought up. I agree regarding the Plant character in that it didn't come across as the Percy we all know. In fact it seemed like an odd choice to use Led Zeppelin. They obviously couldn't use any of the music and as you said plant could have been any generic rockstar and the whole thing is fictional anyway. Why not use another band, they obviously secured the rights to use 'personality crisis ' for the New York Dolls bit. Maybe someone on the HBO team doesn't like them!

24 minutes ago, babysquid said:

I wondered how long it would be till this got brought up. I agree regarding the Plant character in that it didn't come across as the Percy we all know. In fact it seemed like an odd choice to use Led Zeppelin. They obviously couldn't use any of the music and as you said plant could have been any generic rockstar and the whole thing is fictional anyway. Why not use another band, they obviously secured the rights to use 'personality crisis ' for the New York Dolls bit. Maybe someone on the HBO team doesn't like them!

I can understand that the show seems to want to use real bands instead of fictional bands in order to create a feeling of authenticity, but you're right, why not go with a band that they could actually use their music? The only thing I can think of is that they wanted to use Zeppelin to help generate some interest in the show, given Zeppelin's popularity. But that's the only guess I've got. Their Peter Grant definitely could have used some lift shoes and a fat suit, but Plant was just horrible. He looked the part well enough, but I just don't see Plant bitching at some record label guy about f-ing them out of money. Page maybe I could see, but it seems like Plant would've more likely gone off on a tangent about Celtic mythology or Indian tea or something then wandered off.

3 minutes ago, Balthazor said:

I can understand that the show seems to want to use real bands instead of fictional bands in order to create a feeling of authenticity, but you're right, why not go with a band that they could actually use their music? The only thing I can think of is that they wanted to use Zeppelin to help generate some interest in the show, given Zeppelin's popularity. But that's the only guess I've got. Their Peter Grant definitely could have used some lift shoes and a fat suit, but Plant was just horrible. He looked the part well enough, but I just don't see Plant bitching at some record label guy about f-ing them out of money. Page maybe I could see, but it seems like Plant would've more likely gone off on a tangent about Celtic mythology or Indian tea or something then wandered off.

I don't think they used Zeppelin to gin up publicity for the show since LZ was never, ever mentioned in any pre-show PR.  I think they were used as the biggest band around that got away from the record company and put the company on the path forward, in other words, a plot device.  It's unfortunate (IMO) that they did such an extended scene with actors that were laughable in their "interpretations" of the real people.  And that they couldn't use the music.  I hope we've seen the last of LZ in this show. 

I'll stick with the show for a while longer to see how it goes.  And to remember 1973 NYC in all its glory...

12 minutes ago, ebk said:

I don't think they used Zeppelin to gin up publicity for the show since LZ was never, ever mentioned in any pre-show PR.  I think they were used as the biggest band around that got away from the record company and put the company on the path forward, in other words, a plot device.  It's unfortunate (IMO) that they did such an extended scene with actors that were laughable in their "interpretations" of the real people.  And that they couldn't use the music.  I hope we've seen the last of LZ in this show. 

I'll stick with the show for a while longer to see how it goes.  And to remember 1973 NYC in all its glory...

You are right about Zeppelin never appearing in any of the previews. Still, since the whole American Century thing was fictitious anyhow, they could've used any popular band to accomplish the same thing. Hell, with Jagger being a co-creator, they could've used the Stones. Whatever the reason is, it seems they just wanted to wedge Zeppelin in there somehow.

I do feel like we probably have seen the last of Zeppelin, since it seems like that plot device has run it's course. Like I said, I thought the Peter Grant performance was pretty spot-on, just the physical qualities of the actor were all wrong. I mean, in the scene at the American Century office, Grant is literally the smallest guy in the room. Which made it odd when one of the executives commented about how intimidating he is. But yeah, Plant was pretty bad. You'd think the actor could have a least watched a few minutes of Plant speaking to see how he actually talks and acts. Instead he came across like a character you'd see in Spinal Tap.

I found a good writeup of the Vinyl show on Salon, which includes this spot-on quote:

But the American Century executive team is in for a rude awakening once they arrive home. Richie gets into his car only to be told by his driver that they’re going to “33rd & 7th,” which is, of course, the address of Madison Square Garden. There’s a problem with the Led Zeppelin deal, and Richie has to go fix it. When he arrives, Zeppelin’s legendarily abrasive manager, Peter Grant, is arguing with someone else, so Richie takes this opportunity to plead his case to Robert Plant directly. They got Plant’s clothes right, but not much else, to be honest. But the worst part of the scene is the dozens of groupies hanging around, who then follow the band like rats scrambling after the Pied Piper as the band walks onto the stage. There are easily 30 women gyrating on the side of the stage. The Led Zep soundalike band isn’t very good, either.

http://www.salon.com/2016/02/15/behind_the_music_on_vinyl_martin_scorseses_premiere_gets_the_new_york_dolls_right_and_led_zeppelin_so_wrong/

Nearly everything I wanted to say about "Vinyl" has been said: the actor playing Grant sounded enough like him but he was seriously the smallest man that one would normally see at just about any event other than midget wrestling; and the actor that played Plant looked a lot like the transvestite in Silence of The Lambs, that uttered the words, to his captive in the hole, "It puts the lotion on the skin." One of the most (in hindsight) hilarious lines ever, while at the time and in context, very disturbing.

It was an interesting show, surely the Led Zeppelin bit made it even more so but I do plan to catch future episodes and I'll see how good they are now that the Led Zeppelin bit is surely over.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This has been a fun thread to read over the last week, 8 years and 34 pages. Too bad many of the early links no longer work.

A couple off the top of my head that weren't mentioned.

The show NewsRadio was mentioned early on, but only that Led Zeppelin I and II had shows named after them. In fact, 9 Zeppelin albums had NewsRadio episodes named after them at the end of the second season. Only Led Zeppelin III was left out, which has always annoyed me, as much as I loved that show.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_NewsRadio_episodes#Season_2_.281995.E2.80.9396.29

Sometime in the late 80's I was walking through a book store, and saw a book I had to buy, just because of the title. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swan_Song_%28Robert_R._McCammon_novel%29

It turned out to have nothing to do with Zeppelin, but it has a very familiar plot to one of my all time favorite books, The Stand by Stephen King (who could be called the Led Zeppelin of horror fiction authors). In the original version of The Stand published in 1978, it had one of the main characters, Larry Underwood, a budding rock star, getting a big break by opening for Zeppelin. The book was re-released in 1990 as an uncut version that contained parts that were edited out of the original. King also updated it to remove outdated references, and that Zeppelin reference was removed.

Edited by lz2112

• 2 months later...

I have thought long and hard about getting the four symbols tattooed on my forearn but not on my back,I want to see them.It would make a change from the devils,skulls and naked women I have elsewhere that i have had for twenty years plus.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Watched the final "bonus" episode of A&E's "Born this Way".  One young lady was talking about music she wanted to hear at her gay brothers wedding and she said "Whole Lotta Love"!  The two guys looked at each other like she was crazy, and she said "You know...LED ZEPPELIN"!

If you don't know about this show, it's a reality show featuring the lives of young people with Down's syndrome.  Very eye-opening!

• 1 month later...

A couple of days ago Jensen Ackles and his wife had twins and they named one of them "Zeppelin."

For those of you who don't know, Ackles plays the character "Dean Winchester" on the tv show "Supernatural." Dean Winchester is a huge Led Zeppelin fan; in one episode he sets a vinyl of the first album in his room in their hideout. He and his brother pretend to be detectives and FBI agents and borrow last names from rock stars; in one episode they were Page and Plant.

On 12/4/2016 at 6:52 AM, ScarletMacaw said:

A couple of days ago Jensen Ackles and his wife had twins and they named one of them "Zeppelin."

For those of you who don't know, Ackles plays the character "Dean Winchester" on the tv show "Supernatural." Dean Winchester is a huge Led Zeppelin fan; in one episode he sets a vinyl of the first album in his room in their hideout. He and his brother pretend to be detectives and FBI agents and borrow last names from rock stars; in one episode they were Page and Plant.

In addition, in case it hasn't been mentioned, quite a number of the show's episodes are Led Zeppelin song titles.

On 12/4/2016 at 7:52 AM, ScarletMacaw said:

As much as I love the band, that's an awful name to saddle your kid with. Maybe your cat or dog, not your child. Thank God his favorite band wasn't The Sex Pistols.