Guitar Hero / Rock Band / Video Games

guitarmy

Post your reason for why you answered how you did!  

98 members have voted

1. 1. Would you support Led Zeppelin including some of their songs in a video game like Guitar Hero or Rock band?

• Yes
    • No
    • Either way is fine.
  2. 2. Do you consider yourself a part of video gaming culture?

• Yes, very much so.
    • Yes, but I don't play too much.
    • No, I play video games sparingly.
    • No, it's not for me.

So I realize we already have a Guitar Hero / Rock Band thread (multiple), but I figured this poll would give people a quick way to reply. Sometimes this is easier than reading an entire thread all the way through just find out whatever the posters are currently talking about.

Feel free to give any reasoning as to why you voted the way you did.

In addition, I wanted to add more questions, but you can only do 2 polls per poll thread.

Comment on these if you want:

Do you enjoy playing either Rock Band or Guitar hero?

-Yes

-No--I've tried it and I don't like it.

-No--I haven't tried it but I don't like the concept.

Which would you choose if you could only have one or the other?

-Full-blown Led Zeppelin reunion with a tour

-Led Zeppelin's inclusion in Guitar Hero and Rock Band

How old are you?

15 and under

16-20

21-25

26-30

31-35

36-40

41-45

46-50

51-55

56-60

61-65

66+

As for me:

-I would support Led Zeppelin in games like Guitar Hero and Rock Band.

-I definitely consider myself a gamer.

-I enjoy playing Guitar Hero and Rock Band (not all gamers do).

-I would prefer a Led Zeppelin reunion, so I'm not too crazy!

-I'm 25

When this first came out I thought wtf do the kids not learn to play the real thing !! but now I think its great because alot of the kids now are being exposed to some great rock music that they might of overlooked or missed being that national radio usually plays watered down type pop music rap etc, so it has a thumbs up even if I can play the guitar but get my backside wiped when playing the guitar hero with my partners kids !!...so great !!

No I don't support it. Obviously, Led Zeppelin doesn't support it either.

I only play video games when I'm stoned.

I'm 23.

Eventually you video game kids are gonna ruin the only fuckin' thing that is right and true in rock music.., wake the fuck up.

When this first came out I thought wtf do the kids not learn to play the real thing !! but now I think its great because alot of the kids now are being exposed to some great rock music that they might of overlooked or missed being that national radio usually plays watered down type pop music rap etc, so it has a thumbs up even if I can play the guitar but get my backside wiped when playing the guitar hero with my partners kids !!...so great !!

Hmm, it sure is interesting then that none of mine or any previous generation ever overlooked great rock music... We never had any cheap plastic guitars with pretty colore-coded buttons tell us what to listen to... so please explain that?

In all seriousness, someone explain how.

I'm 23.

Eventually you video game kids are gonna ruin the only fuckin' thing that is right and true in rock music.., wake the fuck up.

Yeah when I get up in the morning I say "Today I am going to single-handedly fuck up Rock and Roll because I know video games have the power to do that" == sarcasm

The last I checked, most new music today sucks already, and it's not because of video games. Guitar Hero and Rock band are super new. So I don't see the doom that you're predicting. It's already here, and the source isn't video games.

What is it then? Not entirely sure, but it involves shifts in cultural norms.

Hmm, it sure is interesting then that none of mine or any previous generation ever overlooked great rock music... We never had any cheap plastic guitars with pretty colore-coded buttons tell us what to listen to... so please explain that?

I think I've offered this explanation before---the times they are a'changin. The media dynamic that we have today is not even close to what we had 10 years ago. The farther we go in time, the more Led Zeppelin will fade. Does that mean that not one person in 2025 will know what Led Zeppelin is all about? Of course not! But it does mean that the less Led Zeppelin is included in emerging cultural trends, the less likely someone will know wtf I'm talking about when I say the words "Led Zeppelin".

It's all about culture and Led Zeppelin's inclusion in it.

Yes I have seen early teens (partners kids friends)who are into rap and pop as thats all they have listened too, but through playing this game guitar hero they have discovered classic rock music by plsaying it and thus like alot of it, so much so they want to discover more...thats what I ment in my thinking that its good that this has exposed them to music which is not considered modern !!!

Have a peanut for not having plastic guitars, for your generation being able to discover classic rock another way !!! Buthis game is a way of letting this generation of kids not yours of discovering classic rock, that is a good thing, so implying that playing a game is ruining rock music is B*llocks (in my opinion)..look at the bigger picture seriously !!!

I'm 23.

It's not that Led Zeppelin don't support it, they don't feel like handing out their master recordings to strangers. But then again, anyone can be bought if the price is right.

People don't just sit around and listen to vinyl albums anymore.

It would be great if they showed up eventually, but so many bands are hopping on board, you just have to respect the choices of the ones who don't wish to be.

I love lots of video games (mostly RPGs because I'm a huge nerd and love Dungeons and Dragons)

On that note, I don't play any of these games Rock Band, GH, etc... mostly because I find them boring, and secondly because I really do suck at them.

I play drums, and took lessons for 2 and a half years (weekly) Hoping to start up a couple projects maybe in the future. Need to get the money for some better quality equipment though. I think these games are a good way to get people interested in taking up an instrument, but they're just games really. I don't find them all that fun, but I can respect other people do find them fun. Its just like sports games, I don't find them most of them fun at all but others do.

Although Iv not played Guitar Hero or Rock Band these games are getting increasingly popular. They've already made a Legends Of Rock and an Aerosmith version and with rumours of a Jimi Hendrix version and no doubt other bands in the future i think it would be a shame for Led Zeppelin to miss out. After all most of the people who play these games are in the 15-30 age bracket and alot of them won't have been exposed to the brilliance of Led Zeppelin. Seems like the perfect way to reach an untapped market?!

Although Iv not played Guitar Hero or Rock Band these games are getting increasingly popular. They've already made a Legends Of Rock and an Aerosmith version and with rumours of a Jimi Hendrix version and no doubt other bands in the future i think it would be a shame for Led Zeppelin to miss out. After all most of the people who play these games are in the 15-30 age bracket and alot of them won't have been exposed to the brilliance of Led Zeppelin. Seems like the perfect way to reach an untapped market?!

Agree, I mean I heard the great Eric Johnsons Cliff of Dover on one of those games, and who would of listened to him before exept guitar nerds like me (I could be wrong) but thats all cool to expose these great players to the younger gen :)

Agree, I mean I heard the great Eric Johnsons Cliff of Dover on one of those games, and who would of listened to him before exept guitar nerds like me (I could be wrong) but thats all cool to expose these great players to the younger gen :)

Cliffs of Dover is my girlfriend's favorite song from Guitar Hero 3 and we didn't know about Eric Johnson until we saw it on GH.

I love lots of video games (mostly RPGs because I'm a huge nerd and love Dungeons and Dragons)

On that note, I don't play any of these games Rock Band, GH, etc... mostly because I find them boring, and secondly because I really do suck at them.

I play drums, and took lessons for 2 and a half years (weekly) Hoping to start up a couple projects maybe in the future. Need to get the money for some better quality equipment though. I think these games are a good way to get people interested in taking up an instrument, but they're just games really. I don't find them all that fun, but I can respect other people do find them fun. Its just like sports games, I don't find them most of them fun at all but others do.

I can certainly respect that you're not a fan of the game. Some of my video game friends (RPGers* included) ignored it for a long time until something clicked.

Right now, I'm playing Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion on PC. I first played it on Xbox 360, but once I saw all the mods out there for the PC, I don't think I'll be going back to playing it on Xbox.

If you've only played it on console, then I suggest you try it on PC for the added content.

*RPG = Role Playing Game. I don't really understand why they are called this, but RPGs usually involve some sort of epic adventure that requires you to travel far and wide while playing a particular character or group of characters. There is usually some sort of stats system that keeps track of things like strength and intelligence and any number of other attributes which could be unique to each game.

Cliffs of Dover is my girlfriend's favorite song from Guitar Hero 3 and we didn't know about Eric Johnson until we saw it on GH.

Thats so good and I think backs up my theory :), wonderful instrumental and what a player, and if it inspires just one person to go and buy his stuff or even better go and pick up a guitar to learn.

I would have never heard of King Crimson if it weren't for Rock Band's song suggestion forum. It was like finding Jesus!

King Crimson is all over this forum as well... if you're looking for new music, check the "other bands" section of this forum.

King Crimson rules, by the way.

• 2 weeks later...

-Yes

becuase i would never get a ticket to the tour becuase im not hardcore enough i would love to go tho lol if i was garenteed a spot i would rather have that.

How old are you?

*wow i suck at spelling

Yes I have seen early teens (partners kids friends)who are into rap and pop as thats all they have listened too, but through playing this game guitar hero they have discovered classic rock music by plsaying it and thus like alot of it, so much so they want to discover more...thats what I ment in my thinking that its good that this has exposed them to music which is not considered modern !!!

Have a peanut for not having plastic guitars, for your generation being able to discover classic rock another way !!! Buthis game is a way of letting this generation of kids not yours of discovering classic rock, that is a good thing, so implying that playing a game is ruining rock music is B*llocks (in my opinion)..look at the bigger picture seriously !!!

I totally agree. I recently attended my 8-year old granddaughter's birthday party during which about 20 kids in her age range were playing either Guitar Hero or Rock Band (I don't know which) and singing "Mississippi Queen" at the top of their lungs. It was so funny but pretty cool. How many kids that age would otherwise be familiar with a song like Mississippi Queen?

I love these games. They make me feel like i can actually play guitar.

I would rather have a full blown reunion tour. Because they are just that amazing. I would hate for Led Zeppelin to get into these games because then all the people just know Stairway to Heaven would act like they really like Zeppelin. Also you can always mod your consoles to be able to play copied games, then just add the song to the game to play it.

15 and under.

-Yes

becuase i would never get a ticket to the tour becuase im not hardcore enough i would love to go tho lol if i was garenteed a spot i would rather have that.

How old are you?

*wow i suck at spelling

I love these games. They make me feel like i can actually play guitar.

I would rather have a full blown reunion tour. Because they are just that amazing. I would hate for Led Zeppelin to get into these games because then all the people just know Stairway to Heaven would act like they really like Zeppelin. Also you can always mod your consoles to be able to play copied games, then just add the song to the game to play it.

15 and under.

You both get extra brownie points for the added info.

Maniac, you might not be able to go, but I'm sure you could get some bootlegs or official releases out of it.

I'd also like to see a no-Stairway policy for these games for the first time it is included. This way the Zeppelin newbies can get over the Led Zeppelin Stair-way-o-type.

Led Zeppelin PLENTY of memorable and epic tracks to choose from.

Stairway to Heaven can be included in a later version or something.

Hmm, Stairway-o-type...you like it...don't steal it :D

I totally agree. I recently attended my 8-year old granddaughter's birthday party during which about 20 kids in her age range were playing either Guitar Hero or Rock Band (I don't know which) and singing "Mississippi Queen" at the top of their lungs. It was so funny but pretty cool. How many kids that age would otherwise be familiar with a song like Mississippi Queen?

It's interesting you say that because both Guitar Hero III and Rock Band have "Mississippi Queen"!

But if they were singing it and the words were appearing at the top of the screen, then this was Rock Band.

Guitar Hero III, the most recent Guitar Hero game, doesn't have vocals.

Guitar Hero: World Tour will have vocals and will be released on October 26, 2008.

Now the question is, was it Rock Band 1 or 2? Not that it matters really. I haven't played Rock Band 2, but I am aware that you can make all of the Rock Band 1 songs available!

Rock Band 2 was released on September 14, 2008, so it's possible they were playing that.

How trivial of me to try and figure out which one...sheesh. I'm bored.

if it took a video game to discover new bands, then Led Zeppelin would have died out years ago...

people just seem convinced that the only way Zep can stay "relevant" and continue to be listened to, is by being included in video games, and releasing new albums. seriously, how do you suppose they ever survived between Coda and BBC Sessions? 15 years with only 3 concerts, no albums, no inclusions in movies, or video games, how'd they last? and for all the "watered down crap" that everyone is convinced is the only thing being played anywhere, take a look at the radio dial, there's tons of good classic rock stations plastered all over the place, if a video game is the only way to find it, then must be your tuner's broke.

the band can include songs if they want, that's their choice, I just think it's kind of cheesy myself

Archived