Frontmen Of Rock

Rock N' Rollin' Man

Frontman of Rock  

239 members have voted

1. 1. Who is the greatest Frontman of Rock of all time?

• Mick Jagger (Rolling Stones)
    • Jim Morrison (The Doors)
    • Alice Cooper
    • Bruce Dickinson (Iron Maiden)
    • Bon Scott (AC/DC)
    • Roger Daltrey (The Who)
    • Ozzy Osbourne (Black Sabbath)
    • David Lee Roth (Van Halen)
    • Robert Plant (Led Zeppelin)
    • Other
  2. 2. If Robert, who would be second?

• David Lee Roth (Van Halen)
    • Ozzy Osbourne (Black Sabbath)
    • Roger Daltrey (The Who)
    • Bon Scott (AC/DC)
    • Bruce Dickinson (Iron Maiden)
    • Alice Cooper
    • Jim Morrison (The Doors)
    • Mick Jagger (Rolling Stones)
    • Other

• 2 weeks later...

I love Robert Plant's voice from the 68-71 years. He also wrote some AMAZING lyrics on the later albums. As for over all best frontman though? Naw, I think that belongs to Freddie Mercury. Love or hate Queen, you gotta admit that Freddie was indeed a freak of nature. Led Zeppelin was the type of band where the members played off of each other, where Queen was more like Freddie's backing band.

I love Robert Plant's voice from the 68-71 years. He also wrote some AMAZING lyrics on the later albums. As for over all best frontman though? Naw, I think that belongs to Freddie Mercury. Love or hate Queen, you gotta admit that Freddie was indeed a freak of nature. Led Zeppelin was the type of band where the members played off of each other, where Queen was more like Freddie's backing band.

Don't agree either.

Mick Jagger.

In a way, I don't consider Robert Plant the front man of Led Zeppelin. Jimmy is! (that oughta stir things up!)

Don't agree with this either.

Mick Jagger.

In a way, I don't consider Robert Plant the front man of Led Zeppelin. Jimmy is! (that oughta stir things up!)

Describing someone as a frontman isn't necessarily saying that person is the best person in the band. The singer, with or without guitar, is the person who gets out on the front of the stage and performs, and is therefore the frontman. By definition. That's all.

:wtf:

I totally disagree with you. I wonder what makes you think Queen was Freddie's backing band...

You are not even close. :huh:

I guess maybe I worded it a little wrong... I have a lot of respect for both bands actually, though Zep is my favorite band of the two. I realize that all of the Queen members offered creative input to the band's material, but I was more or less commenting on how their live shows were performed. To me... and it's just my opinion based on concert footage I've seen... It always seemed to play out as The Freddie Mercury Show. I'm not saying it as being a negative thing. It's just how they were onstage, in my opinion.

I guess maybe I worded it a little wrong... I have a lot of respect for both bands actually, though Zep is my favorite band of the two. I realize that all of the Queen members offered creative input to the band's material, but I was more or less commenting on how their live shows were performed. To me... and it's just my opinion based on concert footage I've seen... It always seemed to play out as The Freddie Mercury Show. I'm not saying it as being a negative thing. It's just how they were onstage, in my opinion.

That's really no different than how many singers were/are. As charismatic as Freddie was on stage, I never saw it as his show but a Queen show.

Fair enough.

Brian May wrote-"Tie Your Mother Down", "We Will Rock You", "Who Wants to Live Forever", "Hammer to Fall", "The Show Must Go On", "Save Me" and "I Want It All".

Roger Taylor wrote-"Radio Ga Ga", "A Kind of Magic", "The Invisible Man" and "These Are the Days of Our Lives".

John Deacon wrote-"You're My Best Friend", "Another One Bites the Dust" and "I Want to Break Free".

Fair enough.

Brian May wrote-"Tie Your Mother Down", "We Will Rock You", "Who Wants to Live Forever", "Hammer to Fall", "The Show Must Go On", "Save Me" and "I Want It All".

Roger Taylor wrote-"Radio Ga Ga", "A Kind of Magic", "The Invisible Man" and "These Are the Days of Our Lives".

John Deacon wrote-"You're My Best Friend", "Another One Bites the Dust" and "I Want to Break Free".

Yes, I know. :) As I said, I am a Queen fan too. My mother and cousin listened to them constantly when I was growing up. I actually knew about Queen years before I even knew that Led Zeppelin existed. Just take my original message in this discussion as being horribly mis-worded. I really didn't mean to sound so derogatory about it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Geoff Tate of Queensryche is my favorite singer, but overall frontman goes to Plant.

Honorable mention, though, should probably go to Bruce Dickinson. His energy and enthusiasm is awesome, but it's rare in the live performances I've seen for him to sing as well as he does on the albums.

Jim Morrison sucked & I feel sorry for the rest of that group because the dude ruined it. Nobody wants to hear or see some drunk slob barely able to talk-out their songs and ramble about astrology for a half hour between songs...

Woulda been cool if he didn't act like he was so far above everyone., but he got old really fast after 1967.

Jim Morrison sucked & I feel sorry for the rest of that group because the dude ruined it. Nobody wants to hear or see some drunk slob barely able to talk-out their songs and ramble about astrology for a half hour between songs...

Woulda been cool if he didn't act like he was so far above everyone., but he got old really fast after 1967.

Wow that's the first time I've ever heard someone say that about Jim. I didn't see them live but from the footage I've seen and hearing reports of those who have, he was nothing short of incredibly intense and charismatic on stage.

Well, Robert as #1 of course, but for my second choice.....David fucking Gilmour. Sorry Roger fans, he may have wrote the songs, but David made them classics. A part of me always felt that he should have kept Comfortably Numb to himself instead of bringing it to The Wall sessions.

Most people probably don't know that; he was working on that song during the sessions for his first solo album (which I have).

Well, Robert as #1 of course, but for my second choice.....David fucking Gilmour. Sorry Roger fans, he may have wrote the songs, but David made them classics. A part of me always felt that he should have kept Comfortably Numb to himself instead of bringing it to The Wall sessions.

Most people probably don't know that; he was working on that song during the sessions for his first solo album (which I have).

Interesting fact - I didn't know that!

Interesting fact - I didn't know that!

Yup! He had recorded it for his solo album, but later decided not to use it and brought it with him when Pink Floyd started working on what became The Wall. It's one of the very few songs on the album Roger Waters didn't write.

Frankly, just to spite Waters' ego, he should have kept it. <_<

Yup! He had recorded it for his solo album, but later decided not to use it and brought it with him when Pink Floyd started working on what became The Wall. It's one of the very few songs on the album Roger Waters didn't write.

Frankly, just to spite Waters' ego, he should have kept it. <_<

:lol: It's a great song and you could definitely have seen that on one of his own albums. One of my faves off the Wall too.

Archived