Let me catch my breath

I thought we had all night

I like to take my time

I like to linger as it flies

A weekend on your lips

A lifetime in your eyes

:faint1:

Leonard Cohen's "Hallelujah" by Oakland School for the Arts Chamber Choir

It's a beautiful arrangement, especially that moment of "...the fourth the fifth/ The minor fall and the major lift...." It gave me chills. It's nice to see young people expressing themselves creatively.

• 3 weeks later...

It's a beautiful arrangement, especially that moment of "...the fourth the fifth/ The minor fall and the major lift...." It gave me chills. It's nice to see young people expressing themselves creatively.

It's great to see another Leonard Cohen fan on this website, I personally love his first three albums, how about you?

It's great to see another Leonard Cohen fan on this website, I personally love his first three albums, how about you?

Well HI! Glad that someone else here actually likes Leonard Cohen, too. There are gems from every album, really, but the first has so many classics that he's come to be known for - Suzanne, Master Song, Sisters of Mercy, So Long,Marianne, Hey, That's No Way to Say Goodbye - an understated but almost sibylline beginning for someone who found his musical niche relatively late and shared his voice, however humble (no joke, he heard Dylan sing and thought, "Well if that guy can do it..." lol). I do think he's an underrated guitarist, and the songs themselves are very well crafted. First three albums are quietly remarkable.

Imagine that Columbia refused to release "Various Positions" even though it contains Hallelujah which has been covered by everybody and their choir, and If It Be Your Will which is as close to a manifesto as I'm willing or able to loosely grasp. The album's success, particularly that of it's crowning song, must be somewhat of a vindication for him. Columbia came back on board for the next album.

To very finally answer your question, I'm interested in how Leonard is navigating the stages of his life and career, particularly the proverbial "third act", this also a time when he had to come out of performing retirement, so the last several albums, "Ten New Songs", "Old Ideas", "Popular Problems" are ones I'm enjoying of late. But when the older albums beckon, I enjoy the visit. They've all stood the test of time.

Archived