Best LIVE VERSION of Ten Years Gone?

mindthegap

On 12/15/2014 at 9:25 PM, Sue Dounim said:

Except for the White Summer from Berlin (and only Berlin!), I wouldn't describe any of that tour as a complete mess, some shows are just more...perfunctory than others.

Holy thread necro batman!

I wouldn't say only White Summer from Berlin is a mess, it was pretty consistently bad night in night out imo. I really don't know why they kept it in the set.

I love 6/7/77  and I do have a bias for 6/21 & 6/23 Winston RM's., so that would round out my top 3.  But any version when Robert is really feeling it is great.  I may dust off Copenhagen 7/24 . Somehow it's not memorable to me.

I wish they would have had it on the Europe 80 set list. It's a small sample but during that tour I feel Robert's singing was very emotive and heartfelt (most shows anyway). Getting on stage had to be an escape for him. I really feel we would have got some stunning TYG's if it was included. That's the problem with HAVING  to play a lot of the songs on the set list.

3 minutes ago, tom kid said:

Holy thread necro batman!

I wouldn't say only White Summer from Berlin is a mess, it was pretty consistently bad night in night out imo. I really don't know why they kept it in the set.

I have said this before . He was a shell of the man who so eloquently played an impromptu version of that song on the Julie Felix Show in 69.

Some clunkers sprinkled over 77 too. But 80 was just painful.

I was elated to hear the Page/ Plant boots for the first time. Eureka ! He's got it again.

Never impressed with The Firm but that's me, I had unreasonable expectations.

8 hours ago, nick2632 said:

watch?v=vX2POa0FWAc

I finally learned how to upload videos from YouTube on here, yay!! lol. Anyway I know I already commented my favorites before, but at the time I mentioned New York ~ June 11, 1977, but at the time I only had a copy of the mediocre audience recording which since then I had discovered that Ten Years Gone is fortunately one of the few songs circulating on a good quality soundboard recording!! I also found a copy on YouTube so I figured I would share as I have listened to many different performances of Ten Years Gone as it's always been a favorite song of mine and this performance is one that I find to be perfect and the recording is great too!! Please enjoy! The ending is sspectacular :).

Very nice, nick! I love the guitar in this version, similar to my favorite 4-28-77. And the ending is spectacular, as you say!  Thanks for posting!

:) 

• 4 weeks later...

Wow, that is too funny. This week I added some real good copies of 4/28 and 6/11.

6/11 The Four Source Merge is mostly audience but the TYG is SBD and is my new favorite. Better than 6/7 . Finding some really good AUD versions from '77 !  On deck is Birmingham.

I mostly had AUD boots for completest reasons with the exception of Millard , The Freezer and a handful of others I rarely listened to them.

5 hours ago, Jimmywalnutz said:

Wow, that is too funny. This week I added some real good copies of 4/28 and 6/11.

6/11 The Four Source Merge is mostly audience but the TYG is SBD and is my new favorite. Better than 6/7 . Finding some really good AUD versions from '77 !  On deck is Birmingham.

I mostly had AUD boots for completest reasons with the exception of Millard , The Freezer and a handful of others I rarely listened to them.

Birmingham, eh? Oh man, you are in for a treat- the Birmingham show is fuckin' awesome (paging forum member Jabe...)

The June 11 show, incidentally, is probably my favourite '77 show, closely followed by June 10 and April 28.

On ‎4‎/‎8‎/‎2016 at 1:48 AM, Nutrocker said:

Birmingham, eh? Oh man, you are in for a treat- the Birmingham show is fuckin' awesome (paging forum member Jabe...)

The June 11 show, incidentally, is probably my favourite '77 show, closely followed by June 10 and April 28.

I've been seeking out AUD shows mostly from 77. I have to say that once I got past the fact that EVERY AUD show is not going to be the same quality as Millard, Freezer and or the real good ones like Copenhagen 79 (71 is great too but not on the level of 79), Kezar (Godfather) etc.  it's a much more enjoyable listen .Previously , I mostly used them as space savers for / if a SBD drops. 

I love Birmingham and found and a few really good Winston Remasters but so far 4.28.77 has gotten the most play .

I'm going to make a separate post regarding AUD boots. I've done a bit of research so some are just eliminated if Collectors and Argent rate them poorly.  Lot's of good stuff !

• 4 weeks later...
7 hours ago, Sue Dounim said:

the one from 1977/05/28 is underrated

Again, it's funny how on the "off nights" in '77 (5-28, 4-27, 7-17) they managed to pull off decent versions of "Ten Years Gone" on the night- a song Zeppelin had difficulty playing without any flaws with consistency.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
On 6/4/2016 at 8:39 AM, Eman the Epic said:

Both Knebworths are the best. No contest.

They only played TYG at the 8/4 show, they did not play it at the 8/11 show. The 8/4 version is just ok as Page kinda screws up the first solo. A much, much better version is the Copenhagen 7/24 TYG...that one is my favorite version right behind 6/11/77, but I would not put the 8/4 rendering even in my top 10 performances of the song.

• 3 weeks later...

In my opinion, Ten Years Gone is the most beautiful songs they have played in Live.

The sound of the guitar, the rythm..  We can feel a lot of emotions through this song.

I will choose the LA Versions 23/25/26 june .. but  impossible to make a top... MSG and Capital Centre versions are excellent too..  Knewborth too...

1 hour ago, Remi said:

In my opinion, Ten Years Gone is the most beautiful songs they have played in Live.

The sound of the guitar, the rythm..  We can feel a lot of emotions through this song.

I will choose the LA Versions 23/25/26 june .. but  impossible to make a top... MSG and Capital Centre versions are excellent too..  Knewborth too...

Copenhagen 79

On 10/31/2017 at 6:29 PM, ZepHead315 said:

6/23/77 followed closely by 7/24/79 are my two favorites. Page's outro solo on the latter is one of the most beautiful things he's ever done, but I love the overall vibe of 6/23 just a bit more. It's neck and neck though!

Yes yes !! Copenhagen is terrific with that solo. It baffles me why Jimmy couldn't nail the solo most of the time. It always  seemed like a struggle until the solo days with Robert. He sounds like a 10 th grader with his first guitar at times. I cringe when I hear it. The 1977 boots had JPJ very low with no bottom and i'm assuming it sounded better if one were in the audience. I also like Robert in the 1977 versions on the bridge after the solo. He comes in strong. Studio wise, one of his best lyrical solos. 

On 5/10/2016 at 1:05 AM, Nutrocker said:

Again, it's funny how on the "off nights" in '77 (5-28, 4-27, 7-17) they managed to pull off decent versions of "Ten Years Gone" on the night- a song Zeppelin had difficulty playing without any flaws with consistency.

Well Ten Years Gone is actually a rather easy song to play on guitar, though it does take some concentration to get the timing right and of course you have to be feeling it to get the solos where they were on the good nights. It doesn't really matter how difficult Jonsey's part was, as he was always on. Now Bonzo's roll played a huge part on this song as it suffered extremely in the outro in San Diego.. 

But also one of the few songs that would benefit from a mediocre Plant, maybe not benefit but not be held back like Rock And Roll was in 75.. Thank You was another song I thought was great when Plant wasn't at his top (Phoenix 1970 perfect example).

Archived