Best LIVE VERSION of Ten Years Gone?

mindthegap

I always loved this one live. So far I think my favorite is the 6-21-77 Forum show. A few others sound better (SBD) but performances are shaky - mostly rough solo by Jimmy (IMO).

What is the best one out there - both in sound quality and performace?

This is the only live version I have heard of this song and loved it. I was also very surprised that it didn't make the DVD!

I believe it would have, but they didn't have Jimmy's guitar track when they were putting togather the DVD material. I remember reading a Kevin Shirley interview about it, with him saying something about Jimmy switching to an amp that wasn't miked during TYG.

I believe it would have, but they didn't have Jimmy's guitar track when they were putting togather the DVD material. I remember reading a Kevin Shirley interview about it, with him saying something about Jimmy switching to an amp that wasn't miked during TYG.

Thanks for explaining what happened there. Maybe someday they can release it on a DVD. I remember seeing the video clip of it on VH1 Classic and really enjoyed it.

I like a few of the L.A. versions from 1977, on the 21st, 23rd and 25th. I also like Houston on May 21 and Landover on May 25th. Not a big fan of the Knebworth, August 4th version as Jimmy's guitar is burried in the mix. It clears up during the solo. That explains what Killing Floor said above. It was very unclear when it was originally aired on MTV back in 1990. But at least I got to see it.

I like a few of the L.A. versions from 1977, on the 21st, 23rd and 25th. I also like Houston on May 21 and Landover on May 25th. Not a big fan of the Knebworth, August 4th version as Jimmy's guitar is burried in the mix. It clears up during the solo. That explains what Killing Floor said above. It was very unclear when it was originally aired on MTV back in 1990. But at least I got to see it.

http://mixonline.com/recording/interviews/...elin/index.html

Found the article. The very last paragraph, Shirley talks about TYG.

I concur...'cept it was actually "Eleven Years Gone"! :D

july 24th/1979 for sure ! actually that entire show is quiet good.....one of the best post 75 gigs and my fav from 79/80......the playing,the recording and the atmosphere can not be beat.

la versions from 77 are the ones i like best, i just love how he gets the guitar to sound.

I love his sound on the '77 versions as well. He had to overcome a lot when performing this song, considering the number of guitar parts there are and all the layering of this on the studio version. I think he succeeded quite well. :thumbsup:

I love his sound on the '77 versions as well. He had to overcome a lot when performing this song, considering the number of guitar parts there are and all the layering of this on the studio version. I think he succeeded quite well. :thumbsup:

thats very true to, when he play with the crows he said similar things about them doing their homework on all the guitar parts i mean for jimmy to do that song live with that sound, its intense man.

I love the B-bender stuff - it really adds a cool new thing to an already awesome song, and it allowed Jimmy to jam out little licks that helped fill in the layered studio brilliance.

Believe me, I'm not knockin' Jimmy at all - I just hope to find that one version where everything just fell into place - you know, that rare magic moment! B)

I always loved this one live. So far I think my favorite is the 6-21-77 Forum show. A few others sound better (SBD) but performances are shaky - mostly rough solo by Jimmy (IMO).

What is the best one out there - both in sound quality and performace?

I'm not saying its the best, but TYG from 7/24/79 is one of my favorites.

Archived