Best LIVE VERSION of Ten Years Gone?

mindthegap

Wow...thanks for posting this. Admit that I am not well versed on the live performances, but I wouldn't think it could get any better than this. I agree that there is so much emotion in this performance...the guitar is just haunting, can't get it out of my head! One of my favorite LZ songs, now even more a favorite.

:peace: The tempo in this version is just perfect IMO, the slower pace makes it that much heavier, emotional, and haunting... I love it

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

For me is 6/7/1977 by far. Jimmy blazes brillantly through the solos plus Plant sings the "we are eagles of our nest..." line wich is a unique thing. I fell surprised this version is so underrated!

You're right MSG 6/7/77 in a great performance all together which I need to listen to again, I just came across this boot about a month or two ago and was pretty shocked about how underrated it is for a good soundboard, check out the 6/11/77 performance of TYG. It's not great quality (from the copy I have at least) but wow Plant gets a little aggressive on the last line 'Ten Years Gone all in all, Ten Years Gone yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah!' gotta love it!

^ It certainly has the most energy out of the LA shows from 77. Badgeholders is pretty good but I've never really understood the hype for this show (aside from the Plantations and Mr. Moon).

You're also right LTTE is slammed packed with energy, Bonzo was feeling excellent!! But as far as Badgeholders Only, I'm a huge fan of it and never cared about the plantations or Keith Moon (which are both awesome). It's just another killer show! But I think Eddie has a bigger hype overall, but NQ is 30 minutes of pure bliss. SIBLY is freaking awesome (definitely my favorite version of the late years). STH.. Mind blowing. TYG is great, but even with the cut Eddie is better IMO.

• 2 weeks later...

Just listened to the 7/24/79 Copenhagen version and this is far and away my favorite version I have heard thus far. I have yet to hear the 6/8/77 MSG version or show...this will have to me my next acquisition, this and Zurich and Frankfurt from 80'.

Too bad they did not include TYG for the 80' tour setlist but if you are gonna cut it to 2 hours ya gotta cut something.

I'm glad they didn't play TYG on the Tour Over Europe simply because that would've been just another song for people to bitch about Jimmy's playing on and use it as another martyr for how "bad" they think that tour was. On the other hand if they had played it I'm sure the Brussels, Rotterdam, Zurich, Frankfurt, and Munich versions would have been great.

^ True Sue. In fact I am listening to Vienna right now (first time in about 25 years or so) and I really cannot believe how well Jimmy is playing. I hear so much bad about the Tour Over Europe 80' but this show really is amazing. The overall sound is great and the performance, IMO, was excellent. Jimmy was great! I heard about 50% of this tour was great and 50% a complete mess.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

Old thread, but it grabbed my attention when I was using the search function for something else

Yeah agreed 7-24-79 is good!  Wow though,  what a noticably different audience  compared to the
crowds at the '77 Los Angeles shows.  I kept waiting for some kid during the Copenhagen gig to yell
"Fuck Ja !"   :P  like the one dude having a good time on Millard's 6/21/1977 recording.  I give my
vote to the June L A shows and throw in Cleveland's too.  I think I'll check out some of the others
that were mentioned. Ten Years Gone  generally went over fairly well live for the for the most part. 
Some versions just happened to outshine others.  

Curious if anybody knows if there is a 'Tempe A L S'  version of this song?  A.K.A one that's a complete
write off?

watch?v=vX2POa0FWAc

I finally learned how to upload videos from YouTube on here, yay!! lol. Anyway I know I already commented my favorites before, but at the time I mentioned New York ~ June 11, 1977, but at the time I only had a copy of the mediocre audience recording which since then I had discovered that Ten Years Gone is fortunately one of the few songs circulating on a good quality soundboard recording!! I also found a copy on YouTube so I figured I would share as I have listened to many different performances of Ten Years Gone as it's always been a favorite song of mine and this performance is one that I find to be perfect and the recording is great too!! Please enjoy! The ending is sspectacular :).

Archived