Putting away my "Song Remains the Same"

rockerrr

I'm sure this subject was discussed months ago when the remastered "The Song Remains the Same" was released months ago, but I just had to get this off my chest. I finally got a new cd storage system and was putting all of my compact discs into it when I came across the above mentioned title. Jimmy cut the solo to "No Quarter" because he wanted the soundtrack to more closely match the film, yet, he added songs to the soundtrack that weren't in the movie. Jimmy is a genius as far as I'm concerned, but I don't follow his thinking on this one.

The soundtrack would have been perfect to me if he had remastered the original as is, and added the extra songs.

But he's the man and I'm not.

I'm sure this subject was discussed months ago when the remastered "The Song Remains the Same" was released months ago, but I just had to get this off my chest. I finally got a new cd storage system and was putting all of my compact discs into it when I came across the above mentioned title. Jimmy cut the solo to "No Quarter" because he wanted the soundtrack to more closely match the film, yet, he added songs to the soundtrack that weren't in the movie. Jimmy is a genius as far as I'm concerned, but I don't follow his thinking on this one.

The soundtrack would have been perfect to me if he had remastered the original as is, and added the extra songs.

Welcome to the forums! :wave: I'd suggest you do a bit of searching before making a new thread, because yes, this was discussed at the time, and in several threads. But yes, many people agree with you about the cuts made in No Quarter; I certainly do.

Perhaps Jimmy just didn't realize how many fans see this particular solo as one of his very best ever....

They are talking about the released version of TSRTS. The album and original movie were released in 1976, including the entire No Quarter solo. However, last year when the album was released Jimmy cut out the solo during No Quarter on the album.

I agree. I wish he had remastered both.

On the original movie it remains uncut. I'm not sure about the new vesion of the film, been awhile since I've seen it.

No, it is NOT uncut. It's exactly like the remastered CD's, only the cut is more abrupt.

Sorry Jimmy, but ya screwed up that one. <_<

They are talking about the released version of TSRTS. The album and original movie were released in 1976, including the entire No Quarter solo. However, last year when the album was released Jimmy cut out the solo during No Quarter on the album.

In 1976 the album version of No Quarter has a cut different from the movie in 1976. On the album version there is the longer build up before the solo,In the movie, that section is cut out and abruptly the solo starts. The movie version also has the wah wah passage towards end of the solo(when Jonesy comes home). This wah -wah passage is cut out of the album version. Best thing to do is get the bootleg from 7/28/73 and listen to the whole unedited song. Or combine the "old" cd or album version and edit it with"new" version on cd. The entire No Quarter was never released commercially.

In 1976 the album version of No Quarter has a cut different from the movie in 1976. On the album version there is the longer build up before the solo,In the movie, that section is cut out and abruptly the solo starts. The movie version also has the wah wah passage towards end of the solo(when Jonesy comes home). This wah -wah passage is cut out of the album version. Best thing to do is get the bootleg from 7/28/73 and listen to the whole unedited song. Or combine the "old" cd or album version and edit it with"new" version on cd. The entire No Quarter was never released commercially.

The TSRTS original album version is taken from all three nights at MSG. The movie is from the 28th and 29th.

The 29th was the best performance of all, by far. Very dark, powerful and mysterious. Too bad they just didn't use that.

A little bird tells me that one of the Jap bootleg companies is readying to release a "Working Tapes" version of the TSRTS soundtrack. Two things, if that's the case. Firstly, I hope this one is the genuine article & not the Winston remasters knock-off Empress Valley were peddling (and hastily withdrew). Secondly, I wonder if it's likely to be a longer uncut source? Hmmm.... <_<

Just taking the contrary view for the sake of discussion... I like the newer version. It's tighter and more powerful. The solo gets right to the point - sounds like a guy taking charge of his group of ice bound warriors and going for it. No Quarter... no meandering around working up to the solo, just, right into it, and blistering.

I like the other version too, just, not as much.

The TSRTS original album version is taken from all three nights at MSG. The movie is from the 28th and 29th.

The 29th was the best performance of all, by far. Very dark, powerful and mysterious.

Too bad they just didn't use that.

Very good point there, Rock Action. :)

I like the 29th performance, too.

Maybe it had something to do with syncing up the visuals with the audio after they went back to re-shoot in England to fill in the holes and then as they got into the editing/assembling it, it became a collage of the three nights???

R B)

The 29th was the best performance of all, by far. Very dark, powerful and mysterious. Too bad they just didn't use that.

Agreed there is just to great of an atmosphere on that night.

Very good point there, Rock Action. :)

I like the 29th performance, too.

Maybe it had something to do with syncing up the visuals with the audio after they went back to re-shoot in England to fill in the holes and then as they got into the editing/assembling it, it became a collage of the three nights???

R B)

That's a reasonable assessment. For the video's sake, I can understand having to do some splicing.

But why fuck around on the soundtrack, when the 29th was the best out of the bunch, easily? <_<

I was hoping for the re-release of TSRTS, that they would have released one of the Garden shows in its entirety. To this day, there is still no commercial video release of one complete concert from their peak. I would just like to hear and see one from start to finish, to get the whole experience, whether or not it is perfect. I know Jimmy has to have some, but man he puts this stuff out only every few years. What is he waiting for at this point???

Just taking the contrary view for the sake of discussion... I like the newer version. It's tighter and more powerful. The solo gets right to the point - sounds like a guy taking charge of his group of ice bound warriors and going for it. No Quarter... no meandering around working up to the solo, just, right into it, and blistering.

I like the other version too, just, not as much.

well then you should probably stay away from the '77 versions...:)

well then you should probably stay away from the '77 versions...:)

Indeed.

I personally LOVE those long jams from 1977. In 1975 they tended to be a bit monotonous at times (3-14 notwithstanding, that's for sure), but in '77 they brought some variety into it.

I was hoping for the re-release of TSRTS, that they would have released one of the Garden shows in its entirety. To this day, there is still no commercial video release of one complete concert from their peak. I would just like to hear and see one from start to finish, to get the whole experience, whether or not it is perfect. I know Jimmy has to have some, but man he puts this stuff out only every few years. What is he waiting for at this point???

TBH, It would have to be something from 71 or 72 to catch the band at their peak. At least the NA tours and the first Japan tour. They simply did not have the same energy as a unit after those tours. I think most who were there would agree on that. Not to say they never did a good tour after that but it really wasn't the same.

Indeed.

I personally LOVE those long jams from 1977. In 1975 they tended to be a bit monotonous at times (3-14 notwithstanding, that's for sure), but in '77 they brought some variety into it.

Definitely have to agree with you on that. Particularly like the one from L.A. on 6/23/77. What a blistering performance by Jimmy during the jam. In Cleveland for one of the Destroyer performances. I think it's the one from 4/27/77 when they do "Nutrocker". Love Jimmy's solo after this. Very bluesy and compact. Also on 6/21/77 from L.A. as well isn't too shabby either. :thumbsup:

Archived