What The Famous Say About Led Zeppelin

SuperDave

I thought this would be an interesting top to have in the forum. There doesn't seem to be anything like this here as I searched to find out. I know we have us fans on here, but I'm sure we're aware that there are many celebrities who are fans of this seminal band as well.

If you know of someone famous who is a fan of Led Zeppelin provide their name and a possible tidbit, article or quote backing this up when possible. There are also those who are famous are not fans and have come out and said that as well. I think it would be good if we could hear that side as well.

I actually went to high school with a famous musician. He actually lived on the same street as I did. Back in the day he was very into music and we walked to the same bus stop together. We weren't exactly friends or anything. I thought he was a very good guy, although a bit odd and eccentric. At the time he wasn't a Zeppelin fan as he was into the punk scene. He's carved quite a successful career in music for himself as a producer, re-mixer, dj and artist. Whom I'm talking about is Moby, and I'm not doing this to promote anything for him. I have nothing to gain by doing this. I thought this would be a good idea for a forum topic. He's probably most famous for his album Play which contained the hit South Side.That's probably what you'll be most familiar with. He's sold over 20 million albums world wide and many of his songs have also been featured in movies and commercials. He's worked with the likes of Metallica, Michael Jackson, B-52s, David Bowie and the Beastie Boys to name a few.

Here's an article from The Independent out of the UK with a brief interview with Moby and a bit about Led Zeppelin

One Minute With Moby

Interview by Charlotte Cripps

Friday, 24 October 2008

Where are you?

I'm in Manhattan, just waking up and getting ready to go out and buy groceries.

What are you currently listening to?John Lee Hooker.

Who is your favourite band?Of all time? Probably Led Zeppelin. I DJed recently and played "Going to California" to a packed dance-floor. It didn't go down so well. But I loved it.

If you could have written one song, which one would it be?"I Feel Love" by Donna Summer. It's so simple and remarkable, somehow managing to be platonic and dirty at the same time.

What distracts you from work?

Ye olde internet, especially buying old drum machines on eBay.

What did you want to be as a child?

Up until age 13, I wanted to be a scientist. Any type of scientist. After 13, I wanted to be a guitar player.

Who is your greatest inspiration?

Marcel Duchamp. I loved the way he effortlessly and playfully moved from high to low art, while also occasionally cross-dressing and competing in chess tournaments.

The song that changed my life is...

"My Way" by Sid Vicious. When I was 13 I saw the video of Sid singing "My Way". It terrified me and made me run out and start a punk rock band.

Who is your hero?

Leonard Cohen. I've always loved him as a musician, but he became my hero when he gave up his career for a decade to be a Zen monk.

Moby's album 'Last Night Remixed' is out on 3 November on Mute

• 7 months later...

This is a good topic, however, it seems not to have gotten any replys. A few that I have seen or read.

1. Matt Dillon has said that he was (is) a big Led Zeppelin fan. I read that he said that the first album he ever bought was Led Zeppelin IV. This was back when he was much younger, but still an actor.

2. In one of my old ZOSO magazines there was a picture of Jimmy and a smiling Rob Lowe backstage at some outdoor festival. I don't know (or cannot remember) what festival it was or even if Jimmy was performing there.

3. In one of Dave Lewis' books, A Celebration I believe, there was an entry of a tour date in 1995 of Page/Plant at a show in Los Angeles and it mentioned that two backstage visitors included Jack Nicholson and Richard Gere.

4. I was also read that John Belushi used to listen to the "early" Led Zeppelin records while he was still trying to make it big as an actor and stand up comedian.

5. I also read somewhere that Robert Plant used to hang out with Richard Pryor back when Zeppelin were touring Los Angeles during the 1977 North American tour. Probably during the famous 'badgeholders' concerts.

6. During the 1975 tour, actress Faye Dunaway was reported to be running around the hotel and gigs taking pictures of the band.

7. I am sure there are many more, however, that is all that I can remember and think of at this moment.

These are from Mojo Classic - Led Zeppelin and the Story Of 1969 and make interesting reading:

John Lennon: "They sound alright. Jimmy Page has always been a bloody good guitar player"

Eric Clapton: "They were very loud. I thought it was unneccessarily loud. I really liked some of it, but a lot of it was just too much."

Pete Townshend: "I'm not one of their biggest fans, which doesn't mean that I don't like them, but means I don't really get into their music a lot."

Keith Richards: "I played their first LP a lot when I first got it, but then the guy's voice started to get on my nerves for some reason. I dunno why - I imagine just a bit too acrobatic for me."

Please don't flame me, please, please, please.

But I know Chad Kroeger is a huge fan. He was on VH1's what is at the top of your personal playlist thingie.

When you see him talk about being at the reunion concert, his awe of them is so apparent. Wish I could link you to it, but I don't know how.

Anyway, he described being there as "life-altering". Pretty high praise.

http://www.vh1.com/video/play.jhtml?id=159...&vid=314543 (maybe this will work)

Edited by imPLANTed

Please don't flame me, please, please, please.

But I know Chad Kroeger is a huge fan. He was on VH1's what is at the top of your personal playlist thingie.

When you see him talk about being at the reunion concert, his awe of them is so apparent. Wish I could link you to it, but I don't know how.

Anyway, he described being there as "life-altering". Pretty high praise.

http://www.vh1.com/video/play.jhtml?id=159...&vid=314543 (maybe this will work)

Nothing wrong with that at all...it's all good.

Alec Baldwin said, as a teenager, he and his friends would "cut their arm off" if they could meet Jimmy Page.

Jack Black on the "School of Rock" DVD begging Zep to use IS.

KISS on one of their videos (eXposed) mention Zep several times.

Rikki Rackman claiming people slept during Zep concerts but went nuts during Judas Priest shows. Nothing but lies!!!

Bo Derek talking about making out as a teen to STH.

Christine Aguliera mentions Zep as her fave band and a big influence.

Danny Boyle - I always wanted to be in Zeppelin

http://www.reuters.com/article/lifestyleMo...E4BA6TV20081211

In my early years, it was Led Zeppelin and David Bowie – they were kind of like the stuff that I really loved.

http://www.kcrw.com/music/programs/gd/gd090114danny_boyle

Eric Kripke is an American film and television writer, director, and producer, best known as the creator of the television show Supernatural, starring Jensen Ackles and Jared Padalecki.

I was a huge Zeppelin fan. So when it came time to write and produce the Pilot, it was so important to me, with all due respect to my beloved network, not to have music that is usually on that network. I was so rabid about it that in the original draft of the pilot,

http://www.squidoo.com/erickripke

Actress Linda Blair - attended this MSG SHOW '77

http://forums.ledzeppelin.com/index.php?sh...0025&st=100

I actually remember seeing the one about Alec Baldwin saying that about Jimmy. I think it was on one of those "All-time Greatest hits" something or another on VH1. I remember being surprised when I heard that.

If I could meet anybody on the face of the earth my first three choices would be, of course, Mr. Jimmy Page, Mr. John Paul Jones (Baldwin) and Mr. Robert Plant. My favorite musicians. After those three my other top two choices would be Mr. Robert DeNiro and Mr. Al Pacino. My favorite actors. Besides wanting to talk to these two "Godfathers" about themselves and their acting, I would really ask them and want to know what they think of the "mighty Zeppelin". Good or bad I would want to know if they liked them or ever saw them live either in New York or Los Angeles during the 70's. You got to remember that as Led Zeppelin was dominating the 70's all over the world, especially in places like NYC or L.A., which seemed to be almost like second homes to them, Bobby D. and Big Al were really coming up in the acting world. At that time they may have been a couple of years younger than any members of Led Zeppelin but I think, like I said, coming up around the same time as Zeppelin and both actors being die-hard New Yorkers it seems to me not to be completely out of the realm of possibility that the greatest band in the world would have possibly rubbed shoulders and partied with the two greatest actors in the world. Backstage at the Garden or even at the Forum. I really would like to know those answers.

Edited by lzzoso

I actually remember seeing the one about Alec Baldwin saying that about Jimmy. I think it was on one of those "All-time Greatest hits" something or another on VH1. I remember being surprised when I heard that.

If I could meet anybody on the face of the earth my first three choices would be, of course, Mr. Jimmy Page, Mr. John Paul Jones (Baldwin) and Mr. Robert Plant. My favorite musicians. After those three my other top two choices would be Mr. Robert DeNiro and Mr. Al Pacino. My favorite actors. Besides wanting to talk to these two "Godfathers" about themselves and their acting, I would really ask them and want to know what they think of the "mighty Zeppelin". Good or bad I would want to know if they liked them or ever saw them live either in New York or Los Angeles during the 70's. You got to remember that as Led Zeppelin was dominating the 70's all over the world, especially in places like NYC or L.A., which seemed to be almost like second homes to them, Bobby D. and Big Al were really coming up in the acting world. At that time they may have been a couple of years younger than any members of Led Zeppelin but I think, like I said, coming up around the same time as Zeppelin and both actors being die-hard New Yorkers it seems to me not to be completely out of the realm of possibility that the greatest band in the world would have possibly rubbed shoulders and partied with the two greatest actors in the world. Backstage at the Garden or even at the Forum. I really would like to know those answers.

I used to wonder the same thing. :D

I found this reprint of interview from 78 from Trouser press from a Ritchie Blackmore German fan site.

Did you read music?

"Yeah, but not well. It was more like chord shets. Pagey was in all

those sessions. Sometimes you'd get complete rock 'n rollers who

could play but wouldn't be able to read and others who could read

but wouldn't be able to improvise. Sometimes they'd want rock 'n

roll sessions and that's what we'd do."

You and Jimmy Page both played in Neil Christian's band, right?

Blackmore laughed and mused a second before answering: "I was

with him on and off for about a year. Chris, that's his real name, was

a slightly bizarre person to work for. In fact, Jimmy Page played with

him for about three years. That's when I first met Pagey. I was 16

years old. He was good then; I rate him as a three-dimensional

guitarist. He has a range, he has ideas, but he can't be everything,

so sometimes he lacks on improvisation a bit. He's so caught up

with producing and everything else concerned with being a top

band. Whereas someone like Jeff Beck is entirely in the opposite

direction. Jeff can extemporize really well, but I don't think he can

write a song. It's always somebody else's tune. He doesn't have

many ideas, but he's a brilliant guitarist."

Trouser Press, July 1978

I found this reprint of interview from 78 from Trouser press from a Ritchie Blackmore German fan site.

Trouser Press, July 1978

very interesting and now this from ZEP PR - Danny Goldberg (Guitarworld 1986)

"So I think Jimmy's influence is not only as a guitarist but I always thought his true and greatest genius was as writer and producer.

"He stands alone as a conceptualizer of what rock band should sound like. And greatness of Zeppelin comes from him as a writer and a producer..."

smile.gif

Members of Queen were huge Zeppelin fans

from imdb (ive read these in other websites too)

brian may: I'm the world's biggest Led Zeppelin fan. The music, the way they conducted themselves, their whole management structure - they were the blueprint. Queen always used to play The Immigrant Song in sound-checks just for the glory of the sound.

brian may: I don't think anyone has epitomised riff writing better than Jimmy Page - he's one of the great brains of rock music

roger taylor: The first time I saw Led Zeppelin, Bonzo (John Bonham) just walked on the stage and just warmed up for about 10 seconds. Freddie (Freddie Mercury) and I nearly fell over we just couldn't believe the power and the sound. People are still today trying to imitate Led Zeppelin, America is full of drummers trying to play like John Bonham.

roger taylor: The greatest Rock'n'Roll drummer of all time was John Bonham who did things that nobody had ever even thought possible before with the drum kit. And also the greatest sound out of his drums - they sounded enormous, and just one bass drum. So fast on it that he did more with one bass drum than most people could do with three, if they could manage them. And he had technique to burn and fantastic power and tremendous feel for rock'n'roll. "When the levee breaks" is the archetypal heavy drum sound - it's never been bettered - it's like a steamroller, enormous bass drum. Simple but takes feel.

Trouser Press, July 1978

Jimmy lacking improvisation? Hmmm just listen to a live version of No Quarter (especially 1975 or 1977), Since I've Been Loving You, Over The Hills and Far Away, Stairway, D&C.... The list just goes on.

These are from Mojo Classic - Led Zeppelin and the Story Of 1969 and make interesting reading:

John Lennon: "They sound alright. Jimmy Page has always been a bloody good guitar player"

Eric Clapton: "They were very loud. I thought it was unneccessarily loud. I really liked some of it, but a lot of it was just too much."

Pete Townshend: "I'm not one of their biggest fans, which doesn't mean that I don't like them, but means I don't really get into their music a lot."

Keith Richards: "I played their first LP a lot when I first got it, but then the guy's voice started to get on my nerves for some reason. I dunno why - I imagine just a bit too acrobatic for me."

well 2 mebers of the who almost left 2 start a band with page, it was John Entwistle and Keith Moon, the name ledzeppelin actuly came frum a coment made by eather Entwistle or Moon (it was sumthing like this bad would go down like a led zeppelin)

Wow I started this thread eight months ago and it's finally getting some action. I had forgotten about it.

I remember reading an interview with Charlie Sheen and he called Led Zeppelin "The Ultimate". So I guess that makes him a fan.

Plenty more stuff out there. Keep them coming.

According to her own site, Gabriella Cilmi was

Influenced by mercurial Led Zeppelin founder Robert Plant, she co–wrote most of the material in the mansion formerly owned by Alice In Wonderland author Lewis Carroll.
I remember we discussed her covering WLL on this forum. I am not a huge fun of Ms Cilmi, but, since we talk about The Famous :rolleyes:;) .... Edited by Vega

Wow I started this thread eight months ago and it's finally getting some action. I had forgotten about it.

I remember reading an interview with Charlie Sheen and he called Led Zeppelin "The Ultimate". So I guess that makes him a fan.

Plenty more stuff out there. Keep them coming.

Johnny Depp---The first song I played all the way through must have been 'Stairway To Heaven'. I remember getting through the fingerpicking and just cursing Jimmy Page.

David Bryan, Bon Jovi--The reason why we are us is because of them-their records influence us more the [anything]. It was just like a new planet coming into the solar system. They just broke new ground and affected everybody on earth. I think a person can come out of a mud hut in the middle of vietnam and know 'Stairway To Heaven'. It's everywhere.

Richie Sambora, Bon Jovi---The first time I heard led Zeppelin, I had to pull over. What an amazing, amazing band. I mean, obviously, one of a kind and a complete mystique, an enigma and probably one of the heaviest bands of all time, amazing songwriters. I mean, four of the greatest musician that ever graced the rock n roll stage as far as i am concerned.

Ian Hunter, Mott the Hople---'Kashmir' was the one for me-an unbeatable riff. I always respected Robert Plant as he goes his own way. He's one of the few.

Chad Smith, Red Hot Chili Peppers--Bonham is the greatest rock drummer- he just is. When people say Buddy Rich is technically the greatest drummer ever, John Bonham is hands-down the greatest drummer ever. Just everything he did felt good. It's just incredible.

Dierks Bentley- The first thing i think osf is being a freshman in high svhool and coming in straight off the hair bands and being introduced to them and blown away by this totally different tone they had. They didn't fit in any sort of genre. i heard Led Zeppelin and was like "What is that?! I didn't know if it was new or old or what; it was just this timeless, unique sound".

Kid Rock- Phenomenal! It's such great, melodic, hard, heavy rock n roll. It doesn't have a trace of corny in it at all.

These are a few of the quotes from the Whole lotta Led Zeppelin (The Illustrated History of The Heaviest band Of All Time-- by Jon Bream

I remember reading an interview with Carlos Santana where he said that Jimmy Page constructed songs like he was building "Mansions" as opposed to houses.

That always stuck in my head.

Edited by snapper