No Quarter on The Song Remains the Same CD

pujols05

A reviewer on Amazon wrote that "No Quarter" on the new soundtrack CD is not the same as it has always been. That doesn't make sense to me, but is there any truth to it? Are the songs that have been released before the same (no pun intended!)?

A reviewer on Amazon wrote that "No Quarter" on the new soundtrack CD is not the same as it has always been. That doesn't make sense to me, but is there any truth to it? Are the songs that have been released before the same (no pun intended!)?
There have been so many wingey, whiney negative comments posted about NQ. JPs solo has come in for the most knocks. The 2007 version omits the looser scatty noodly improv parts of the solo, which also has a new ending that is not on the original release ( a nice bit of wah-wah). This new version is bit like having seperate releases of 2 different performances. Take for what it is, fresh and extremely enjoyable.......So buy it and love it.

There have been so many wingey, whiney negative comments posted about NQ. JPs solo has come in for the most knocks. The 2007 version omits the looser scatty noodly improv parts of the solo, which also has a new ending that is not on the original release ( a nice bit of wah-wah). This new version is bit like having seperate releases of 2 different performances. Take for what it is, fresh and extremely enjoyable.......So buy it and love it.

I think I'll go buy it and love it. No Quarter live is always a highlight for me, so having something fresh is welcome indeed.

that is total crap. the part that was omitted is the critical buildup before the solo, whereby jimmy joins bonzo and jpj. it is a CRITICAL part of the song and a crime it was snipped out.

jl

that is total crap. the part that was omitted is the critical buildup before the solo, whereby jimmy joins bonzo and jpj. it is a CRITICAL part of the song and a crime it was snipped out.

jl

agreed 100% it was my favorite part of the song, and one of the best moments from the origional album.

jl

Here we go again another wingy whiney negative comment. Most of the people here have both versions of TSRTS so whats the big fucking deal. Start seeing the new TSRTS as something like TSRTS the Second Night and the orignal as the TSRTS First Night. This release is out, it is what it is so lighten up and get over it.......(ha... get over it. I sound like my teenage daughter)

Can someone clarify which release has the unedited No Quarter? I know the original soundtrack had it, but was it edited for the 2007 release of the film or only the 2007 soundtrack?

George

Unfortunately, the only official release with the full 1973 MSG "No Quarter" with Jimmy's complete great solo, is the original un-remastered CD soundtrack.

Unfortunately, the only official release with the full 1973 MSG "No Quarter" with Jimmy's complete great solo, is the original un-remastered CD soundtrack.

Then I am very glad I picked up a copy of the original this week. B)

Thanks for the quick reply!

Nice friendly forum you guys have here.

Some people can see no wrong in the band, so they don't take kindly to blunt and critical analysis of the music or production.

I'm still enjoying my new version of TSRTS, but I have my bitching about it too....it could've been so much better to not had the same edits as the dvd. They had to edit the sound for that, since they couldn't edit the film, but there is NO excuse for allowing the same on the cd. It just plainly should've been complete and not cut up so much....

But some people just swallow it without consideration to critique.

Well said, exactly how I feel about the new TSRTS CD. Awesome, but no reason to carry over the bad edits from the DVD. That being said, the rest of the album is bone-crushing.

• 10 years later...
5 hours ago, whitelight said:

Does anyone know if the original 12:30 TSRTS version of No Quarter is available to buy in the UK as a digital download or do I need to buy the original CD set and rip a copy if i want to get this version?

Thanks.

Dunno, but given the fact that the original soundtrack CD can be found very inexpensively it's a must-have and it's an easy acquisition. That particular track is one of my personal all-time favorites and the 2007 remaster which basically comes from the movie is chopped up garbage. I never listen to that version. 

It's interesting reading the old responses to this thread how some people are willing to accept chopped liver. I guess the sort of person who is fine with the butchered "No Quarter" is the sort of person who left for the beer line or bathroom during "No Quarter" at the actual concert. Their attention span is tested by the journey aspects of the song. So it's no big deal to them if parts of the journey are missing...they just want the song to hurry up and get to its end.

For the rest of us, what Jimmy did to "No Quarter" on the remaster was like slicing up the Mona Lisa.

The whole point of remastering is to improve upon the technological limitations of the vinyl format. With the length of CDs, songs could be restored to their proper length and proper running order.

What's the point of improving the sound if you are going to needlessly tie yourself to the slipshod butcherings of the movie? The movie is one thing, what with the MPAA rules, but the album did not have to follow those rules.

When the Who remastered their live album, "Live at Leeds", they did it right....restoring the entire concert in full sonic glory. All Jimmy did with his TSRTS remaster is create more questions and requiring fans to keep those old 1976 TSRTS vinyl albums...or the original CD release.

3 hours ago, whitelight said:

Hopefully a 1975 Earls Court live release might come to fruition next year and then we'll have No Quarter in all of it's 25+ minutes glory!

Based on Page's previous editing of live material, I suspect he'll edit the shit out of it. It's a shame too tracks like WLL, HMMT and NQ will all go under the knife. I'm not getting my hopes up like I did with the re-releases from the past couple of years. Will I be glad to have new material, absolutely, yes! But fear it's going to be stuff that we already have, only chopped to bits : ( 

On ‎30‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 3:44 AM, porgie66 said:

Dunno, but given the fact that the original soundtrack CD can be found very inexpensively it's a must-have and it's an easy acquisition. That particular track is one of my personal all-time favorites and the 2007 remaster which basically comes from the movie is chopped up garbage. I never listen to that version. 

Took your advice porgie66 and ordered a cheap copy of the original TSRTS CD on ebay.

Probably not the right thread for this question, but are there different versions of any of the other songs found on the original CD release compared with the 2007 remaster?

1 minute ago, whitelight said:

Took your advice porgie66 and ordered a cheap copy of the original TSRTS CD on ebay.

Probably not the right thread for this question, but are there different versions of any of the other songs found on the original CD release compared with the 2007 remaster?

Yes, a lot. Most are different in varying degrees of splices/edits. I suggest you Google Eddie Edwards The Garden Tapes. There you will find a forensic breakdown of all the tracks from both releases of TSRTS . Off the top of my head... Celebration Day is different (original better), Dazed , Whole Lotta Love. Remember ....the 2007 remaster is the actual audio from the movie, which is very different than the original 1976 soundtrack album. Rain Song is about the only song that wasn't edited. 

The Heywood version is a good compromise between original NQ and the edited remaster. No piercing edit of plant's voice which distorts all the instruments, but the extended intro into the solo remains in there. Best of both worlds.

*Edit - I still thoroughly recommend acquiring both current and old official releases. At the end of the day, you cannot beat the official stuff.

Definitely need both versions. The 2007 release has alot more material. Do you remember in the movie the section about the robbery from the hotel deposit box? The biggest crime was cutting out JP's solo  in the middle of Heartbreaker which is now available as the full track. This album now gets closer to a full concert..... but as already mentioned the original had the full No Quarter solo which in my opinion is one of the all time greats. 

Yes, both versions. But it seems to me that Jimmy started going off the cliff with the Mothership/"Complete" Song Remains The Same. You can complain about even the whitewash of the LA HTWWW, but after that butchered NQ,

most Zep releases after did not show IMO Jimmy using his best judgement, and that's all the way up to the companions

nonsense. I don't know about EC.... overall great shows, but there are plenty of rough spots and mistakes Jimmy could

stick his hands into. A lot of this is so stupid, a great majority of Zep fans accept Jimmy's mistakes, and still regard him

as one of the best live guitarists ever. A so-so solo in one song can be followed by a absolute barn burner in the next,

and true artists can't fake much.

Archived