Personal Distaste with Presence.

Laughter

Over time I have softened up to songs such as For Your Life, Royal Orleans, Candy Store Rock and Tea For One (that one most of all). But as many of us know song order has a great impact on your experience. That is, however, assuming you are an album person. I would think most of us are. I really think jumping to possibly their greatest work ever as the first track was not the greatest move. If I were in charge of song order...

1. Nobody's Fault but Mine

2. Royal Orleans

3. Candy Store Rock

4. Tea For One

5. For Your life

6. Hots on for Nowhere

7. Achilles Last Stand.

I know they had so much space available per side back then but I think this order is much better of an album. Thoughts? Ideas on other album orders?

I'm cool with the album as is. I think far too many people overanalyze the album due to all of the stuff that's been written about it over the years. People often have a preconception about Presence and buy into all the negativity without giving the album a chance on their own. It's kind of like Rock And Roll Circus, people badmouthed it for years because they read somewhere that the Stones were dissatisfied with it then you see it and it's like BAM sweet ass vintage Stones in all their glory.

The original order is perfect in my opinion, Achilles goes along with the Zep tradition of staring an album with a classic !! Just think GTBT, WLL, IS, Black Dog, TSRTS, Custard Pie, ITE and of course Achilles, all great classic Zep rock songs. So back to your original question I think starting the album with a masterpiece was in fact a very good move !! What a way to start an album, if it were made by carslberg then this could possibly be the greatest opening song to any Album !!!

It's kind of like Rock And Roll Circus, people badmouthed it for years because they read somewhere that the Stones were dissatisfied with it then you see it and it's like BAM sweet ass vintage Stones in all their glory.

The Stones were dissatisfied with the fact that the Who upstaged them (which I believe is an accurate observation). Mick wasn't at his best that day either.

The Stones were dissatisfied with the fact that the Who upstaged them (which I believe is an accurate observation). Mick wasn't at his best that day either.

If you say so, no band bores me more than the Who. Honestly I think the passage of time has been kind to the old Stones footage, it's gotten "better" with age. What may not have been up to their standard in their prime is now amazing to see IMO because so little of it exists, Keith's riffing on YCAGWYW is the highlight for me. Well that and the Taj stuff with Jesse Ed Davis on guitar.

Oh yeah, Presence is fine as is :). Gotta stay on topic here.

Over time I have softened up to songs such as For Your Life, Royal Orleans, Candy Store Rock and Tea For One (that one most of all).

Tea For one is Just Blues at it's best, & if you're a blues lover as I am you've got to love it

Honestly I think the passage of time has been kind to the old Stones footage, it's gotten "better" with age. What may not have been up to their standard in their prime is now amazing to see IMO because so little of it exists, Keith's riffing on YCAGWYW is the highlight for me. Well that and the Taj stuff with Jesse Ed Davis on guitar.

Mick is still pretty crappy.

Oh yeah, Presence is fine as is :). Gotta stay on topic here.

Yes, it is. B)

Tea For one is Just Blues at it's best, & if you're a blues lover as I am you've got to love it

Only Led Zeppelin itself could get me remotely into it. TSRTS version of SIBLY is wonderful. At first it bored me and now I love it. T41 is good too. The thing is I've been thinking about it and NFBM is the only other opening that could make it as one. Just otherworldly blues; it's so out there. And the reason I say all this is because after ALS things got quite boring from there on. The variety wasn't there and it was all start-and-stop rock. I think my set order would jumble it enough up for it to pass as a better album. But that's just me. I like it better than I did before, but it's still one of the least in my mind.

The original order is perfect in my opinion, Achilles goes along with the Zep tradition of staring an album with a classic !! Just think GTBT, WLL, IS, Black Dog, TSRTS, Custard Pie, ITE and of course Achilles, all great classic Zep rock songs. So back to your original question I think starting the album with a masterpiece was in fact a very good move !! What a way to start an album, if it were made by carslberg then this could possibly be the greatest opening song to any Album !!!

I think Custar Pie disrupts that order. I'd have liked The Rover to switch with it. CP segues better into IMTOD anyway.

The Who not only upstaged them, they blew the Stones right out of the water.

Had it not been for that annoying violin and Yoko shit, the Stones would have had the worst performance on Rock and Roll Circus.

But anyway Mick and the boys...

You are forgiven

YOU'RE ALL FORGIVEN!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oamahR97xpA

on the thought of Achilles... I think Achilles was the high water mark of their career... its unfortionate that the album its on has been bad-mouthed and shunned by the general music population...

It doesnt get much radio play because of its length... It doesnt get much praise because of the bias against Presence... It didnt have the time, like Stairway or Dazed and Confused to become immortal when performed live

I think when everything is considered... it has to be the most underrated song in history

i always loved this album. i bought it when i was 12. i lived in a house that had

a real presence. a frightening one. so much so if a friend or relative visited

they'd leave because of it. anyways when i'd play this album that presence

seemed to chill for a while. achilles last stand was still goose bump inducing though.

in a nutshell if you want disappointing releases from bands you should try out metallica.

presence is damn near perfect (at least to me). i'm very happy to say there is no

"st anger" in the zep discography. the only "loads" you will find are heavy.

i'm very happy to say there is no

"st anger" in the zep discography. the only "loads" you will find are heavy.

Heh, true. I'm not saying it's not one for the ages. Despite a masterpiece and a few standards in my mind I think it's their weakest. I am warming up to it but I was used to unachievable greatness and wide variety all around. ITTOD and HOTH gave me that.

The running order seems fine by me, the album was a statement of the group at the time.

Remasters put the songs in a different context, but the album, I like the running order.

I agree, Cecil (hey, you're back!). I love the album, and I remember reading that Robert recently said he did too!

(I was sent tickets to the Stones Rock 'n' Roll Circus thing, and I couldn't go because I had to take my Latin O level the next day!)

How can anyone in their right mind think that Presence is their best album. That is absurd. How can anyone think Presence can even rate with IV. Not even close. There are no Stairway to Heavens or even Black Dog or Rock and Roll or When the levee Breaks or Battle of Evermore's on Presence. To me it comes in number 8 out of the 8 studiio albums. (and like Ive always said-Coda doesnt count because Bonzo was gone and they never would have released it if he had lived)

Everyone is afforded an opinion...some opinions will have Presence on top.  If we were all wired the same, it twould be a boring existence.

Archived