LednyrdZepnyrd

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

This is awesome and answers a lot of my questions about Pagey's gear. But I still have one more question. Did Page ever use a Yamaha acoustic?

page has certainly owned a yamaha acoustic as he donated a signed FG450 to a charity auction back in the 80s. i remember it well as i have the 430 model, the next one down and i was kinda chuffed at the time being the youngster i was back then.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

"#1 had NO push pulls or additional switching installed during Led Zeppelin. You will never see him doing any pushing or pulling only turning during Zeppelin and a majority of the time he was working the volume controls. A push/pull was added in the bridge tone control position sometime post Led Zeppelin, exactly when isn't clear. " From the website included in this link.

This is incorrect. Jimmy actively uses the push pull pots for modifying the pickups sound throughout Zep. One early example is Immigrant song where Jimmy splits the bridge pickup. Many other tracks as well feature the use of splitting the pickups.

In addition there is photo evidece from Earl's Court where Jimmy has one of the pots pulled up.

In addition: From Gibson's website:

"Page has described "Number 1" as his "wife" and "mistress," and calls it irreplaceable. Unlike the Black Beauty, which was stolen in 1970, it remains in his possession and has been immortalized by several Gibson Custom Shop reissues. In the '70s the bridge tone control was replaced with a push-pull pot that puts the pick-ups out of phase, and the bridge pick-up was replaced after it failed on tour. The instrument also sports gold plated Grover tuners. Otherwise it remains the same as when he acquired it, plus road wear."

Jimmy Page's 40-Year Les Paul Legacy

Also, Gibson is issuing a model commemorating Jimmy's #2 Les Paul.

Page's #2

• 3 months later...

Gibson RD ArtistUsed to play Misty Mountain Hop at Knebworth 1979, only known use. The Artist used active circuitry for a switchable bright mode, compression and expansion.

i honestly thought somebody would have come up with a better shot by nowdry.gif

• 1 month later...
...anyone know where and when it was taken?

That's Oakland Collosium, 1977. The last two nights of Zep's last US tour. I forget which of the two gigs the photo is from, the first IIRC, but I could be wrong.

Archived