• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Pink Floyd and London’s notorious UFO Club

The loud, lysergic anarchy of the band’s earliest underground shows

Excerpted from “Pink Floyd’s The Piper at the Gates of Dawn” by John Cavanagh (Continuum, 2003). Reprinted with permission from Bloomsbury Publishing.

https://www.salon.com/2017/11/11/33-13-excerpt-pink-floyd/

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 10 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

44 years ago today, the infamous day Syd Barrett walked into Studio 3 at Abbey Road Studios while Pink Floyd were recording ‘Wish You Were Here’ lp.  Richard Wright said they were working on “Shine On You Crazy Diamond” at the time...

1453040D-74CD-40D1-A311-A9F1301E984A.jpeg

Edited by Walter

4 minutes ago, Walter said:

45 years ago today, the infamous day Syd Barrett walked into Studio 3 at Abbey Road Studios while Pink Floyd were recording ‘Wish You Were Here’ lp.  Richard Wright said they were working on “Shine On You Crazy Diamond” at the time...

1453040D-74CD-40D1-A311-A9F1301E984A.jpeg

I've often pondered how Syd knew his former band were in the studio, who told him, how did he even get in there, was there no security..

4 hours ago, JTM said:

I've often pondered how Syd knew his former band were in the studio, who told him, how did he even get in there, was there no security..

I have as well.  All of what you said.  Here are a few pages from Nick Mason’s book describing the day.

Edit: The order of the pages changed it’s 1st, 3rd, and then 2nd if you’re trying to read them with continuity. 

1CD90B8C-5FA8-4FAF-9172-FAF0E9497820.jpeg

0F1923FF-1AEA-4554-BE0D-C5388ACAF73B.jpeg

9560BED1-D010-4252-883B-075686B1CF0E.jpeg

Edited by Walter

3 hours ago, Walter said:

I have as well.  All of what you said.  Here are a few pages from Nick Mason’s book describing the day.

Edit: The order of the pages changed it’s 1st, 3rd, and then 2nd if you’re trying to read them with continuity. 

1CD90B8C-5FA8-4FAF-9172-FAF0E9497820.jpeg

0F1923FF-1AEA-4554-BE0D-C5388ACAF73B.jpeg

9560BED1-D010-4252-883B-075686B1CF0E.jpeg

Thanks Walter.  There's much more detail on Syd's visit than I've seen before.

• 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Watching Roger Waters’ “The Wall” concert right now. Just such an amazing spectacle and performance. I definitely prefer the live Wall concert release by Floyd over the official release.  I know some don’t like this album at all - but I think it is pure genius at a time when the guy writing it was basically mad and alienating anyone and everyone around him - including his fans.  Completely different from all of their previous releases, especially the three legendary predecessors.  

What’s your favorite side of the double album?

It’s a really tough call. As much as I love sides one, two, and four - I have to go with side three.  Not just because of CN, but the first three tracks just flow so beautifully, musically, and lyrically. Vera Lynn and Bring The Boys Back Home are so emotional and then the masterpiece - especially live. 

Pink Floyd Ready Massive 'The Later Years' Box Set

16-Disc Collection boasts then-trio's final studio LPs and live albums plus rarities, concert films, unreleased music videos, two seven-inches singles and more

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/pink-floyd-the-later-year-box-set-pulse-877966/

Pink-Floyd-later-years-cover-art.thumb.jpg.5f8ebe629ac6332349186839f6a3e663.jpgPink-Floyd-later-years-set.jpg.2b894a02e2465117a4ef9543667703ba.jpg

Edited by luvlz2

^Man that's a sweet box set for fans of that era!  Would love one. Let's see, $454.98 for the box set, $39.98 for the Highlights double lp and $11.98 for the Highlights cd.

Album cover artwork is really neat, reminds me of driving home (not me, I was passenger) the second night from seeing floyd on the momentary lapse of reason tour in Phoenix tripping on acid, the street lamps were melting just like that! :hysterical: Can't wait for audio/video samplers to come out.

Edited by luvlz2

13 hours ago, luvlz2 said:

^Man that's a sweet box set for fans of that era!  Would love one. Let's see, $454.98 for the box set, $39.98 for the Highlights double lp and $11.98 for the Highlights cd.

Album cover artwork is really neat, reminds me of driving home (not me, I was passenger) the second night from seeing floyd on the momentary lapse of reason tour in Phoenix tripping on acid, the street lamps were melting just like that! :hysterical: Can't wait for audio/video samplers to come out.

Are you replying to yourself?? Must be that acid making a return trip!! :hysterical: 

$500 for those releases?  People must have money to burn... ;) 

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...