pink floyd

caroselambra~

Exactly. I have seen footage and friends have seen them in concert. They have no on stage charisma. They said they might as well not even be on the stage..

I don't think they would selll half the tickets they did without the light show. They would not be able to hold peoples attention with just them on the stage.

I have seen Floyd live a number of times. Yes, they had great lightshows, inflatables and all the rest of it, but it was always about the music as far as I was concerned.

I also saw David Gilmour on the last tour, when he played with many of the musicians who played with Floyd as well as Richard Wright. Had Nick Mason been there it would have been a Pink Floyd show. David had a minimal lighting rig (albeit with one laser at the end), no projections, no flying aircraft or inflatable pigs. Just great musicians making wonderful music to a very appreciative audience, who's attention was very much kept.

I have seen Floyd live a number of times. Yes, they had great lightshows, inflatables and all the rest of it, but it was always about the music as far as I was concerned.

I also saw David Gilmour on the last tour, when he played with many of the musicians who played with Floyd as well as Richard Wright. Had Nick Mason been there it would have been a Pink Floyd show. David had a minimal lighting rig (albeit with one laser at the end), no projections, no flying aircraft or inflatable pigs. Just great musicians making wonderful music to a very appreciative audience, who's attention was very much kept.

What size audience was he playing to?

What size audience was he playing to?

The show I saw was just a few thousand as he wanted to play theatres with the best acoustics. He did play much larger venues elsewhere, including three nights at the Albert Hall as well as outdoor shows. Obviously it's not on the scale of a Pink Floyd stadium tour, but the point stands that for those of us who are genuine Floyd fans, we don't need all the bells and whistles. Maybe the casual fan does.

I saw David Gilmour live in Chicago during that same tour at the Rosemont Theatre. I have an interview with him where he said he specifically chose smaller venues specifically for acoustics AND because he wanted the audience to feel like they were part of the show, and in a 30,000 seat arena it's hard to do that.

Seriously spats, do you ever know what you're spouting off about before you open your mouth?

I saw David Gilmour live in Chicago during that same tour at the Rosemont Theatre. I have an interview with him where he said he specifically chose smaller venues specifically for acoustics AND because he wanted the audience to feel like they were part of the show, and in a 30,000 seat arena it's hard to do that.

Seriously spats, do you ever know what you're spouting off about before you open your mouth?

Can you argue with someone without insulting them?

I was not talking about about why he was in smaller venues.

I am saying friends have seen them in concert and have said the members have no stage charisma. It's a matter of opinion. And i think audiences would be smaller without light shows.

Some people go to shows to see action, emotion. Some go to listen to guitar playing. If that's what rows their boat that's fine. I want some action on stage.

Can you argue with someone without insulting them?

I was not talking about about why he was in smaller venues.

I am saying friends have seen them in concert and have said the members have no stage charisma. It's a matter of opinion. And i think audiences would be smaller without light shows.

Some people go to shows to see action, emotion. Some go to listen to guitar playing. If that's what rows their boat that's fine. I want some action on stage.

Spats, this is not an insult - just get that out of the way upfront. Pink Floyd built their reputation as a live act based on cutting edge visuals back in the mid 1960's. They were pioneers in light show and psychedelic sounds, even The Beatles were checking them out before making Sgt. Peppers... Action is in the eyes of the beholder. I love the multi-sensory shows that I watched Floyd put on and I have bootlegs of performances by them in the 70's that I just love listening to Gilmour and Co. go off on "Shine On...", "Dogs" and "Money" among others. They were a great band, critically acclaimed, artistically acclaimed and obviously have legions of fans. Last word on this, how many visuals were at the Live 8 reunion gig? Not much. How many of those hundreds of thousands of fans in Hyde Park were there to hear them play? Most, if not all. End of story.

When it comes to these "overrated"/"underrated" threads it never seems to be made clear as to exactly who is doing the rating. Is it in reference to fans? Critics? The general public? That said, if someone wants to say an artist is overrated, it's just their opinion and they have every right to express that opinion. As we can also see, the person that originally started this thread has since been banned so maybe they were never serious and just wanted to stir things up. Personally, even though I've never been a huge Pink Floyd fan (nor do I hate them), I don't think they're overrated by any measuring stick. They, along with many other bands helped spearhead one of the cornerstones of rock n' roll, the psychedelic sound.

As for their stage presence, or lack thereof, their approach to that kind presentation sort of comes with the territory for psychedelic bands where the focus is on the music itself rather than the musicians themselves. The Grateful Dead were the same way. They were never the most dynamic band to watch onstage, that's why they always placed such an emphasis on light shows and rear screen projections. Just my take on the matter...

Spats, this is not an insult - just get that out of the way upfront. Pink Floyd built their reputation as a live act based on cutting edge visuals back in the mid 1960's. They were pioneers in light show and psychedelic sounds, even The Beatles were checking them out before making Sgt. Peppers... Action is in the eyes of the beholder. I love the multi-sensory shows that I watched Floyd put on and I have bootlegs of performances by them in the 70's that I just love listening to Gilmour and Co. go off on "Shine On...", "Dogs" and "Money" among others. They were a great band, critically acclaimed, artistically acclaimed and obviously have legions of fans. Last word on this, how many visuals were at the Live 8 reunion gig? Not much. How many of those hundreds of thousands of fans in Hyde Park were there to hear them play? Most, if not all. End of story.

Thanks for disagreeing in a nice way.

The people that went to see them at that show most likely went because it would be the last time.

No spats, you're basing your opinion on erroneous facts. You have no clue why people went to see them, what kind of energy they had or whether or not the audiences would be smaller if they didn't have the light show. You just don't know. You're claiming you do know and basing your opinion on that. You can't do that. You're arguing facts not in evidence.

I have seen clips of Pink Floyd live waaaay back in the day and I happen to think they had a very magnetic stage presence. You were constantly looking at them, wondering what they were going to do next and simultaneously listening very closely to each note they played. Several people have already explained to you why they had the light show and why they had the stage show that they did, you've chosen to completely ignore it.

No spats, you're basing your opinion on erroneous facts. You have no clue why people went to see them, what kind of energy they had or whether or not the audiences would be smaller if they didn't have the light show. You just don't know. You're claiming you do know and basing your opinion on that. You can't do that. You're arguing facts not in evidence.

I have seen clips of Pink Floyd live waaaay back in the day and I happen to think they had a very magnetic stage presence. You were constantly looking at them, wondering what they were going to do next and simultaneously listening very closely to each note they played. Several people have already explained to you why they had the light show and why they had the stage show that they did, you've chosen to completely ignore it.

It's all a matter of taste and opinion. There is no right or wrong. I know plenty of people who think they have no stage charisma. They think they are boring.

That other guy gave the reason why he thought everybody one went to live 8. Do you think he is wrong? It's opinion.

Thanks for disagreeing in a nice way.

The people that went to see them at that show most likely went because it would be the last time.

What about the World record viewing audience? Not to mention the fact that it was on 4th of July weekend in the US. They have legions of fans that wanted to watch them.

They have no charisma live? I think the light shows and the way they concentrate on the music is part of their charisma. They don't dance around stage, b/c their music doesn't call for it. They realized that, so to supplement it they added the light shows. I think that puts the music front and center, not something they hide behind.

When Zeppelin would play their spacier material, they would supplement it with a crazier light show.

What about the World record viewing audience? Not to mention the fact that it was on 4th of July weekend in the US. They have legions of fans that wanted to watch them.

They have no charisma live? I think the light shows and the way they concentrate on the music is part of their charisma. They don't dance around stage, b/c their music doesn't call for it. They realized that, so to supplement it they added the light shows. I think that puts the music front and center, not something they hide behind.

When Zeppelin would play their spacier material, they would supplement it with a crazier light show.

What about the other acts on the show? They had nothing to do with that?

We will have to agree to disagree.

Please. Pink Floyd re-uniting? That was a fucking coup for Bob Geldof. Echoes, their greatest hits compilation package released in 2001, went up by over 1300% in sales after they appeared at Live8.

Sure there were people there to see the other acts, but come off it. If Led Zeppelin had performed at that show, there would have been the same number of people, if not more. Live8 very quickly went from "great string of concerts for charity" to "Everyone let's see Pink Floyd!".

Nothing wrong with that, a band of that size and influence can bring in large amounts of money and attention to your cause. Hell, David Gilmour has his accountant check his revenues each year to make sure that any money he makes on that Echoes compilation goes to charity because he didn't want to profit off it. Just another reason why I love that man.

Please. Pink Floyd re-uniting? That was a fucking coup for Bob Geldof. Echoes, their greatest hits compilation package released in 2001, went up by over 1300% in sales after they appeared at Live8.

Sure there were people there to see the other acts, but come off it. If Led Zeppelin had performed at that show, there would have been the same number of people, if not more. Live8 very quickly went from "great string of concerts for charity" to "Everyone let's see Pink Floyd!".

Nothing wrong with that, a band of that size and influence can bring in large amounts of money and attention to your cause. Hell, David Gilmour has his accountant check his revenues each year to make sure that any money he makes on that Echoes compilation goes to charity because he didn't want to profit off it. Just another reason why I love that man.

I didn't know that - really lovely on his part :)

I am saying friends have seen them in concert and have said the members have no stage charisma. It's a matter of opinion.

That's a quote that holds true in my experience, as mentioned before. Their music is great and the visuals captivating and imaginative, but the band members don't have stage presence. And that's ok. But it's true, they just play their music, which was great.

I've gone to plenty of concerts where the musicians were so absorbed in their music and had NO light show/effects and those concerts were great too, for the music. And that's the bottom line for me. Other effects are just superfluous and not necessary to "support" the music.

What about the other acts on the show? They had nothing to do with that?

We will have to agree to disagree.

Not really.

We will, I suppose.

You just don't seem to be able to give credit where credit is due.

Can people not see the greatness of a band without enjoying the music of said band? I take pride in my ability to do it.

If you don't like their music, that's fine, but you don't really know much about the history of rock and roll if you think Pink Floyd is overrated in any way. They are a pinnacle.

That is how they became noticed in the underground scene they came from. They would have never been signed if that was the case.

I'd agree with that. They were kinda like Led Zeppelin. Not in the hard rock/early heavy metal stuff, but because they jammed in the concerts like Led Zeppelin. Extending the songs and what not.

I heard that on the recently made documentary, Which One is Pink? on VH1 Classic.

Edited by JimmyPageZoSo56

If you ever have the chance to get a copy of a show from mid 70's, do so. I am currently listening to a show from the Animals tour. They do Wish You Were Here in one set and Animals in the other set, with Money and Us and Them for encores. Great stuff!

Also, I know earlier everyone was down on The Wall and I know it is not always my favorite to listen to from beginning to end. However, the live disc they released is VERY GOOD, much better than the studio version, with much more jamming and Gilmour's guitar work is great on it. It adds a different dimension to the body of work, even without the visuals that were going on around them while it was being performed.

DO NOT think Delicate Sound Of Thunder and Pulse are proper representations of what was being played by the 70's version of the band, they sound stale by comparison. IMO.

PULSE is amazing. Obviously it's not a complete representation of the band because Roger Waters isn't there, but 75% is better than 0%.

I happen to think Gilmour's solo in Comfortably Numb from PULSE is his absolute best. The solo in High Hopes is pretty damn good too.

PULSE is amazing. Obviously it's not a complete representation of the band because Roger Waters isn't there, but 75% is better than 0%.

I happen to think Gilmour's solo in Comfortably Numb from PULSE is his absolute best. The solo in High Hopes is pretty damn good too.

I don't have the cd, but have seen the dvd and I think even though PULSE is better than the Delicate Sound Of Thunder, it still does not compare to Gilmour's playing on The Wall live disc or the shows I have heard from the 70's. Again, just my opinion. PULSE is a whole lot better than Roger's rendition of Dark Side and the other Floyd classics played with his band.