pink floyd

caroselambra~

If you ever have the chance to get a copy of a show from mid 70's, do so. I am currently listening to a show from the Animals tour. They do Wish You Were Here in one set and Animals in the other set, with Money and Us and Them for encores. Great stuff!

Also, I know earlier everyone was down on The Wall and I know it is not always my favorite to listen to from beginning to end. However, the live disc they released is VERY GOOD, much better than the studio version, with much more jamming and Gilmour's guitar work is great on it. It adds a different dimension to the body of work, even without the visuals that were going on around them while it was being performed.

DO NOT think Delicate Sound Of Thunder and Pulse are proper representations of what was being played by the 70's version of the band, they sound stale by comparison. IMO.

I have one from 1973, 1975, and 1977.

That is how they became noticed in the underground scene they came from. They would have never been signed if that was the case.

I'm not sure I would agree with that - I think given how ahead of their time they were musically, regardless of the laser show, their music would have gotten them noticed at some point.

I've gone to plenty of concerts where the musicians were so absorbed in their music and had NO light show/effects and those concerts were great too, for the music. And that's the bottom line for me. Other effects are just superfluous and not necessary to "support" the music.

Absolutely. I actually find the light show stuff annoying, particularly when there is a sudden bright flash or they shine spotlights directly in my eyes.

• 4 weeks later...
If you ever have the chance to get a copy of a show from mid 70's, do so. I am currently listening to a show from the Animals tour. They do Wish You Were Here in one set and Animals in the other set, with Money and Us and Them for encores. Great stuff!

Probabley my favourite Floyd tour, anyone who thinks Gilmour can only play slow atmospheric solo's should really listen to the version of Pigs and Shine On part 8 from 77.

As far as great post Waters Floyd tours goes, the best one was probably Gilmour's solo tour for On An Island. I consider myself lucky to have witnessed it.

They seems to revel in the mellowness for Pulse and Delicate Sound tours. Gilmour's solo tour had moments that really rocked. Granted, the first half was his new album, so we didn't get a full Floyd show, but it still seemed as much like one as the other 2.

As far as great post Waters Floyd tours goes, the best one was probably Gilmour's solo tour for On An Island. I consider myself lucky to have witnessed it.

They seems to revel in the mellowness for Pulse and Delicate Sound tours. Gilmour's solo tour had moments that really rocked. Granted, the first half was his new album, so we didn't get a full Floyd show, but it still seemed as much like one as the other 2.

I saw that tour as well - thought it was great, especially having Graham Nash and David Crosby join him on stage.

It was - they did an acapella version of "Find The Cost Of Freedom" with David Gilmour that was so amazing you could have heard a pin drop in the theater!

The great thing about Gilmour is he may have gotten bigger over the eyars but can still hit all the notes in the Pnik Floyd songs that he sang in.

I had never really listened to Pigs (Three Different Ones) all the way through. However, I ehard a talkbox solo in it and was very surprised becvause thats out of the relm of effects that David Gilmour uses. He was the guy I'd least expect to use it.

That was only one of two songs I think, where he used a talk box. The other one was on The Division Bell, if memory serves.

He also used a talk box on Dogs, now that I think about it, to make the barking sounds you hear in the middle section.

I'm really hoping he busts out a flute for the next album so he can throw down some Aqualung. He already plays the guitar, bass guitar, drums, keyboards/piano, harmonica and saxophone. Give Ian Anderson a run for his money, David! :lol:

To return to the original point I'd say that the Floyd are both overated AND underated. The focus on there work generally tends to be on Darkside and the Wall the former of which is excellent but perhaps not the "best album ever" while the latter is IMHO rather bloated with just a few highlights(generally were Gilmour still had strong musical imput). Wish You Were Here and Pipper get the odd mention aswell but the post Barnett/pre Darkside albums are almost totally overlooked dispite the Ummagumma live disk and Meddle being amoung there ebst work with everything else at least interesting. Animals also gets unfairly trashed as "the bloated prog punk had come to kill" when in reality its one of their best albums and probabley the best reaction to punk that any of the 60's/70's superstar bands made.

Animals also gets unfairly trashed as "the bloated prog punk had come to kill" when in reality its one of their best albums and probabley the best reaction to punk that any of the 60's/70's superstar bands made.

It's funny, in a fairly recent interview I saw with Johnny Rotten (maybe on the Seven Ages of Rock documentary) he says he was actually a fan of Pink Floyd's, his "I Hate Pink Floyd" t-shirt was just a means of getting a rise out people, especially on their home turf.

To return to the original point I'd say that the Floyd are both overated AND underated. The focus on there work generally tends to be on Darkside and the Wall the former of which is excellent but perhaps not the "best album ever" while the latter is IMHO rather bloated with just a few highlights(generally were Gilmour still had strong musical imput). Wish You Were Here and Pipper get the odd mention aswell but the post Barnett/pre Darkside albums are almost totally overlooked dispite the Ummagumma live disk and Meddle being amoung there ebst work with everything else at least interesting. Animals also gets unfairly trashed as "the bloated prog punk had come to kill" when in reality its one of their best albums and probabley the best reaction to punk that any of the 60's/70's superstar bands made.

It's all subjective. I would say Dark Side of the Moon, Meddle and Wish You Were Here are their three standout albums, but I also love the early stuff, especially with Syd Barrett. I don't care for the Wall much at all and I like Animals, but it's not my favorite by any stretch.

It's funny, in a fairly recent interview I saw with Johnny Rotten (maybe on the Seven Ages of Rock documentary) he says he was actually a fan of Pink Floyd's, his "I Hate Pink Floyd" t-shirt was just a means of getting a rise out people, especially on their home turf.

The other quote I remember from him is "you can only hate pink floyd so long" ;). The reality is Lydon's always been alot smarter than he let on, he was a massive Krautrock fan and actually wanted to become Can's lead singer before forming Public Image Ltd.

Animals was IMHO a perfect response to punk, it wasnt some cheap atempt to ape punk bands sound but the spirit and themes were very similar. I can't find it on the net but I seem to remember reading an NME review from 77 which praised it which is a little strange as they were THE punk mag at the time.

I wasnt really putting down Darkside but even the best album(although not my favourite by them) can be overhyped and I can see why people would tire of it and The Wall constantly being forced down thre throats while alot of other great work is largely ignored by the mainstream media.

The Ummagumma live album is along with the Stone Roses debut maybe the record that effected my musical taste the most. I remember I only owned a handful of more straight ahead rock albums at the time and picked it out from my dads old collection and was blown away by "Careful With That Axe Eugene" espeically. The influence of thet immediate post barret era is also very underated IMHO, that deconstraction of rock into a simple repeatitive beat with spacey improv behind layed the groundwork for alot of krautrock which it turn influenced alot of the best post punk/new wave bands.

Edited by greenman

The other quote I remember from him is "you can only hate pink floyd so long" ;). The reality is Lydon's always been alot smarter than he let on, he was a massive Krautrock fan and actually wanted to become Can's lead singer before forming Public Image Ltd.

Animals was IMHO a perfect response to punk, it wasnt some cheap atempt to ape punk bands sound but the spirit and themes were very similar. I can't find it on the net but I seem to remember reading an NME review from 77 which praised it which is a little strange as they were THE punk mag at the time.

I wasnt really putting down Darkside but even the best album(although not my favourite by them) can be overhyped and I can see why people would tire of it and The Wall constantly being forced down thre throats while alot of other great work is largely ignored by the mainstream media.

The Ummagumma live album is along with the Stone Roses debut maybe the record that effected my musical taste the most. I remember I only owned a handful of more straight ahead rock albums at the time and picked it out from my dads old collection and was blown away by "Careful With That Axe Eugene" espeically. The influence of thet immediate post barret era is also very underated IMHO, that deconstraction of rock into a simple repeatitive beat with spacey improv behind layed the groundwork for alot of krautrock which it turn influenced alot of the best post punk/new wave bands.

I'm curious what you mean by Animals was their response to punk. Can you elaborate on that further?

Dont forget The Soundtrack to the Movie More!!! Just got that album today, I love it :D

Well for the most part, well I love 6 songs on there ^-^ And all the early stuff with Syd. Most people forget or dont even know their first few albums and early singles. That stuff, Piper at the gates of dawn, saucerful of secrets, more, arnold layne, candy and a currant bun, all of that is what I love the most...

Edited by theycallmethehunter

Dont forget The Soundtrack to the Movie More!!! Just got that album today, I love it :D

Well for the most part, well I love 6 songs on there

Cymbaline and Green Is The Colour are my faves. There's a one hour concert of theirs from 1970 from the PBS station in San Francisco where they performed quite a few songs from that album, those two included. The Stratocaster you see him using in that concert was stolen a few weeks later, and he went back to Manny's in New York to get a new one.....the now famous Black Strat.

Here are a couple videos from that concert:

Cymbaline

Green Is The Colour

I think you can watch the whole concert on Google Video.

I'm curious what you mean by Animals was their response to punk. Can you elaborate on that further?

The sound was more striped down and aggressive(even if the tracks were still long) plus the lyrics looked as issues common in punk such as social decay, immoral profit hunting business/men, contrived moral outrage for political ends, oppresion of the working classes etc. They'd delt with some of those themes before of course but Animals was much more direct and well nasty, Pigs espeically...

Big man, pig man, ha ha, charade you are

You well heeled big wheel, ha ha, charade you are

And when your hand is on your heart

You're nearly a good laugh

Almost a joker

With your head down in the pig bin

Saying "keep on digging"

Pig stain on your fat chin

What do you hope to find?

When you're down in the pig mine

You're nearly a laugh

You're nearly a laugh

But you're really a cry.

Bus stop rat bag, ha ha, charade you are

You fucked up old hag, ha ha, charade you are

You radiate cold shafts of broken glass

You're nearly a good laugh

Almost worth a quick grin

You like the feel of steel

You're hot stuff with a hat pin

And good fun with a hand gun

You're nearly a laugh

You're nearly a laugh

But you're really a cry.

Hey you Whitehouse, ha ha, charade you are

You house proud town mouse, ha ha, charade you are

You're trying to keep your feelings off the street

You're nearly a real treat

All tight lips and cold feet

And do you feel abused?

...!...!...!

You gotta stem the evil tide

And keep it all on the inside

Mary you're nearly a treat

Mary you're nearly a treat

But you're really a cry.

The first verse is probabley about James Callaghan(british PM at the time), the second about Margret Thacther(opposition leader at the time) and the third about Mary Whitehouse(self appointed "moral crusiader").