pink floyd

caroselambra~

As can be seen from that recent Floyd documentary VH1 Classic has been airing I think there was far too much there for any of the parties to just let things slide. As one of the commentators noted you could see the body language between the members when they finished up their performance at Live 8. Thankfully they were able to at least get that performance under their collective belts before Rick Wright died. I'd much rather see something like that which was driven by pure emotion (and the persuading of Bob Geldof) than groups like the Eagles who regroup purely for the monetary aspects.

Nick Mason was quoted as saying that the things the band had to put behind them enough to do Live 8 were by no means trivial. As a fan, I'm grateful they gave all of us 20 minutes of their time, they could have very easily told Geldof to fuck off.

Would I have liked more? Hell yes, but there's no way on God's green earth David Gilmour and Roger Waters will ever share the stage again without killing each other. I'd much rather listen to David's solo stuff and see him live in concert anyway. Let each of them do their own thing.

I'd much rather see something like that which was driven by pure emotion (and the persuading of Bob Geldof) than groups like the Eagles who regroup purely for the monetary aspects.

Amen to that! The Eagles are truely bullsh!t, money grubbing, ego maniacs - led by Frey/Henley of course. They don't sound the same at all without Felder, even having over 10 other musicians on stage with them now.

It is too bad that Floyd (Waters) did what they did to each other - even he (Waters again) regrets that now. I also hear that Mason and Gilmour are not on the best of terms with each other currently.

Amen to that! The Eagles are truely bullsh!t, money grubbing, ego maniacs - led by Frey/Henley of course. They don't sound the same at all without Felder, even having over 10 other musicians on stage with them now.

The only one I really have any respect for is Walsh who I prefer solo and with the James Gang to anything he ever did with the Eagles.

I have to go out and buy their collection AGAIN. Had the albums, cassettes, 8 tracks, CD's and either broken or lost. the ones I must have are Dark Side of the Moon, The Wall, and Wish You Were Here. I love that synthesizer in Welcome to the Machine. Must say my favorite songs if I had to chose would be Comfortably Numb or The Great Gig in the Sky I beleive. Great great band but I don't like the way they just couldn't let things go and make up.

I would highly recommend Meddle too. It's an amazing album. Definitely ties for second favorite with Wish You Were Here.

Meddle is a tragedy compared to dark side, the wall, wish you were here

San Tropez is a beatles knock off

Seamus was a "crossroads" knock off

I'm not comparing it to Dark Side or Wish You Were Here. My personal preference is I'll take Meddle over the Wall any day but I'm not a big fan of the Wall. Just my opinion.

These two songs are mistakes, and of no value - so they should be skipped over. Meddle offers the world of musical wonders, with this in mind...

I'd much rather listen to David's solo stuff and see him live in concert anyway. Let each of them do their own thing.

I know Waters is better than what I've seen of his shows - but so far, Gilmour shines very far above him in that regard....

Nope, first half of the show was Animals. Second half of the show was Wish You Were Here, Money, Us And Them and then Careful With That Axe, Eugene. Roger threw that last one in because the audience didn't piss him off that night.

How magnaminous of him.

Carefule With That Axe, Eugene is a great song. I can sense sarcasm in that last statement. I am not gonna lie, I think Roger Waters is a dick. I enjoy his music but I hate his egomaniac personality. The audience seemed to piss him off. That's a reason why The Wall was built for The Wall tour.

I thought the wall from the stage shows was there because it was representative of the metaphor for the wall used on the album. It may have also been there because of Waters' relationship (or lack thereof) with Pink Floyd's audience but it also brought the conceptualization of The Wall to life.

I thought the just played Wish You Were Here album for that show.

Theres a boot of one of the MSG shows that just includes the WYWH half, is that what your going from?

Listening to the infamous last show of the Animals tour from Montreal that suposidly inspired The Wall right now where Waters spat in the fans face. While he maybe a bastard he certainly had a sense of threater calling him over like a sheepdog during the end jam of Pigs before doing it. Some of the soloing is just brutal aswell, tracks like part 8 of SOYCD sound more like something Page would have done.

Meddle is as good of an album as The Wall, and a great precursor to Dark Side, imo.

And Pink Floyd, greedy?? Haven't ever heard that.

If the other 3 members of Floyd can get onto a stage with Waters by basically sabotaging their careers, all for the sake of charity, I can't see how greed applies.

Edited by ArmsofAtlas

Meddle is a great disc and a very good representation of where they were at the time. Even if Seamus seems like a throw away track, it was them experimenting. I love whole disc because it wasn't over played like much of their music that follows Obscured By Clouds - which really links them to the Dark Side... sound they were beginning to create.

As far as greedy, Roger was greedy with song writing/royalties credit at the end. But, he and Gilmour always made sure Syd's family received his money for their early stuff. Plus, Floyd never ripped off their fans like The Eagles and others have done since then. I think any greediness in the Floyd was just another war they were fighting within.

Okay, this is my problem with Roger Waters.

First let me say, he's an amazing talent. Really. Without him there would be no music since he wrote everything. But that in and of itself is the problem. After Dark Side of the Moon, no one else had writing credits. Music credits yes, writing credits no. He completely shut them out in that regard. Which is selfish and its own way, greedy. Toward the end, he began to think he was greater than the sum of his parts. In other words, "you are nothing without me, so shut up and follow along."

Then he turned on the fans. I don't doubt that sometimes they could be annoying; I've been to rock concerts where I'd like to punch some of the idiots around me, too. But the fans are responsible for you being famous. We buy your records, we go see your shows....we tell other people to buy your records and see your shows. Without the fans, you're nobodies. So to turn on them and act like they're the source of your problems is asinine.

I'm sure he's mellowed out over the years and he's admitted in interviews that he had a huge ego and it got out of control, but I still can't stand him.

I'm sure he's mellowed out over the years and he's admitted in interviews that he had a huge ego and it got out of control, but I still can't stand him.

Waters does still come across quite smug. He scoffs at his lyrical work on Dark Side and other pieces of early work - which compared to his more recent stuff seems laughable. To each his own. I have seen the Floyd members collectively and solo, with the exception of Waters. His voice is certainly worse for the wear, as evident by his performance at Live Earth a couple of years ago.

Waters does still come across quite smug. He scoffs at his lyrical work on Dark Side and other pieces of early work - which compared to his more recent stuff seems laughable. To each his own. I have seen the Floyd members collectively and solo, with the exception of Waters. His voice is certainly worse for the wear, as evident by his performance at Live Earth a couple of years ago.

I saw Waters for the first time about two years ago. I did not enjoy the show at all. He has absolutely no connectedness to the audience and his band was pretty lame. The lead guitar player was a cross between trying to perfectly imitate Gilmour and be a guitar god at the same time :blink: I found the show overall very self-indulgent on his part.

There is but one David Gilmour. No need for imitators. Just get someone to play the guitar. David doesn't have someone try and imitate Roger on his tours, he just gets a bassist who can sing.

I know - I'd have rather the guy just play the way he plays. I saw David solo a few months before Roger's show and thought it was fantastic.