Mick Wall Interview

Kentuckygirl

“Robert is exactly where he wants to be,” says Mick. “He no longer needs to have anything to do with Led Zeppelin and is in charge of his own destiny.

“More so than Paul McCartney, more so than Mick Jagger, more so than Roger Daltrey. Plant has really pulled it off.”

I think McCartney was just as successful--if not more--than Plant to leave behind his former bandmates.

Macca's got more #1 albums and hits, more household recognition, bigger concert tours, and went a very long time without resorting to using Beatle songs in his concerts (ever hear of Wings?). But then again, popularity does not always mean quality.

Granted, Planty is probably more significant now, but remember, his career stalled somewhat after "Fate of Nations," and came back with after a nine year layoff (and Page/Plant albums/tours) with a album of cover songs. with "Dreamland"

I don't think you can call the period when he was working with Jimmy a layoff, even if it wasn't part of his strictly solo career. (And ditto for Jimmy.) Certainly wasn't an instance of either of their careers stalling, given the enormous popularity of the MTV show, for example.

"Just sits watching football on the telly"

Ha Ha, when chris evans interviewed Page on TFI Friday some years ago he asked him what team he supported, Jimmy replied he didn't watch football.

I have just literally finished reading the book, found it ok, obviously i'm looking for things in the book that i didn't know about the band, things that happened etc, things that happened in the last 20 years say, anyway i'm glad i've read it, a bit steep at a score from WH Smith, but never mind, What we really need Mr Page is an autobiography please.

I just received my book WGWTE today and after skimming through it (speed reading) , a few things in it struck me as being very sad and elicited extreme empathy for Jimmy.

Quoting the passage in the book:

"It first became plain to the wider world what a gulf there now existed between Jimmy Page and Robert Plant at the disastrous Atlantic anniversary show, where Plant's now famous refusal to sing 'Stairway to Heaven' - later rescinded, under huge pressure - became a symbol of the psychic tussle that had developed between its authors over the years. On the Outrider tour that year, Jimmy had concluded the show each night with an instrumental 'Stairway to Heaven' which, in the absence of Robert ('The only singer I would ever play it with') the audience invariably, and rather touchingly, sang for him as tenderly as if they'd written the words themselves."

"'Well that was awful,' Page frowned, when I broached the subject with him more than a decade later. '(Robert) came together with Jason [bonham], Jonesy and me in New York, where we were rehearsing, really brilliantly, actually. Then we rehearsed 'Stairway'... and that sounded great, too. Then the day before the show he called me up that evening and said, "I'm not gonna sing it'. I said, 'What are you talking about? You're not gonna sing 'Stairway...? But that's exactly the one thing that everybody expects to hear us do! He said: 'I don't want to do it'."

Jimmy says that he didn't sleep that night after Robert professing this.

"In the end, he (Robert) said, 'Well, I'll do it, but I'll never do it again!"

Jimmy said "'Robert's probably got a perfectly adequate and eloquent reason for all of that but...I don't know.'"

In my opinion, this and other passages shows how hurt Jimmy was by Robert's refusal to sing Led Zeppelin's signature song, and I would assume also now by his refusal to join Jimmy and JPJ in 2009 for a further collaboration. Jimmy respects Robert so much, refusing to let any other vocalist sing "Stairway", a song that Jimmy loves. He even made excuses for Robert not wanting to sing the song.

The book gives the impression that this is an example of a power play by Robert. Wall suggests that Led Zeppelin was Jimmy's creation and Jimmy had all the power, but now Robert holds the power by refusing to sing Stairway and refusing to join the three J's in a reunion. This is not my sentiments, but Wall's.

I love them both, but feel Jimmy's grief in the demise of the hope for anything further between the former members of Led Zeppelin. The book says that Jimmy clearly wants to go on. But now we know that he will not without Robert. I am very happy for Robert's current success and acomplishments. I wish he would find it in his heart to join Jimmy in his dream for 2009. Or I wish that Jimmy would be able to go on without Robert and that he would have success, also. Robert doesn't have any obligation to do so and I hold nothing against Robert if he doesn't. And I am assuming that Jimmy feels this way, too. I wish happiness and love for them both, whatever happens, however it turns out.

"Just sits watching football on the telly"

Ha Ha, when chris evans interviewed Page on TFI Friday some years ago he asked him what team he supported, Jimmy replied he didn't watch football.

I think someone has already mentioned that he's a recent convert to football....

I just received my book WGWTE today and after skimming through it (speed reading) , a few things in it struck me as being very sad and elicited extreme empathy for Jimmy.

Quoting the passage in the book:

"It first became plain to the wider world what a gulf there now existed between Jimmy Page and Robert Plant at the disastrous Atlantic anniversary show, where Plant's now famous refusal to sing 'Stairway to Heaven' - later rescinded, under huge pressure - became a symbol of the psychic tussle that had developed between its authors over the years. On the Outrider tour that year, Jimmy had concluded the show each night with an instrumental 'Stairway to Heaven' which, in the absence of Robert ('The only singer I would ever play it with') the audience invariably, and rather touchingly, sang for him as tenderly as if they'd written the words themselves."

"'Well that was awful,' Page frowned, when I broached the subject with him more than a decade later. '(Robert) came together with Jason [bonham], Jonesy and me in New York, where we were rehearsing, really brilliantly, actually. Then we rehearsed 'Stairway'... and that sounded great, too. Then the day before the show he called me up that evening and said, "I'm not gonna sing it'. I said, 'What are you talking about? You're not gonna sing 'Stairway...? But that's exactly the one thing that everybody expects to hear us do! He said: 'I don't want to do it'."

Jimmy says that he didn't sleep that night after Robert professing this.

"In the end, he (Robert) said, 'Well, I'll do it, but I'll never do it again!"

Jimmy said "'Robert's probably got a perfectly adequate and eloquent reason for all of that but...I don't know.'"

Yeah, there are times when you get the ompression, (not just from this book) that from the point his solo career took, Robert can take himself, shall we say, a little too serioulsy!

First, I'm surprised that people's opinions about this book are so different. Shit book- great book? Resourceful- made of own specualtions? etc. Maybe I will get this book and have a good read.

And an impression I've got here, that this book is mostly Page focused(I can be wrong). It doesn't suprise me as I know Mick Wall was a friend of Jimmy, not the other two surviving members. A lot of written things there are from the telling of Jimmy. Now I'm not saying Jimmy made up something, but when you're invovled in something yourself, your opinion could hardly be objective, especially when emotions are there.

Yes we now know Jimmy was hurt by Robert's refusal. But why did Robert refuse? Mick Wall can't tell it, Jimmy can't tell it, no one but Robert Plant can tell it.

Just don't take everything a book told you for fact.

I recently FINALLY received my copy of WGWTE from Borders.com. I ordered the day after Thanksgiving but it was backordered and finally arrived last week. I have only read a few pages of it and so far it is ok. I was kinda disappointed in the pics included as many are ones we have all seen. I didn't spend much for it since I had a gift card and it was free shipping so it only cost me about $5 out of my own pocketbook.

At the end of the day, although we all herald all the Zeppelin members as gods they are all human and fallable.

Speak for yourself. I have never heralded any of the members of Zeppelin (or any other artists for that matter) as "Gods".

Mick Wall is a hideous piece of low life trash masquerading as a quasi-intellectual. His writing style is repetitious and basic at best. The boys slagged his efforts on the DVD and he used what he could from his conversations with them and rehashed anything else in the public realm that he could get his filthy hands on to make a book. If they're not acquainted, he and Richard Cole should be friends.

Forty and Fat = Forty and I'm a Twat.

Oh, you mean the terrible traitor Richard Cole? The same Richard Cole that was a VIP guest of the band's at the 02 and who went for dinner with Jimmy Page a few days before the 02 show. THAT Richard Cole? Wake up and grow up, my friend. It's ALL a game.

Archived