What songs are you working on now?

danelectro

• 1 month later...

Currently working on:

1. A ballad called "Stay by my side"

2. A song for a rapper, so i only created the music, a weird ethno-vibed creation

3. An old DADGAD song who sounds like a crossover between light passages and the heavier No Quarter-vibe

4. A folksy song with string section fills.

What's Going On - Marvin Gaye

marvin_gaye.jpg

The chord progression for the verses is:

Emaj7, C#m, alternating. I try to re-create Bob Babbitt's (& Jamerson's) nice bass lines here on my acoustic guitar bass strings. ;)

Jellicle Songs For Jellicle Cats (again, haha, this time working on the difficult but great lyrics)

(text by T.S. Eliot & music by Andrew Lloyd Webber):

Chord progression for the verses: Em, F, D, Em ("Are you blind when you're born? Can you see in the dark? Dare you look at a king? Would you sit on his throne"?)

For the chorus: E, A, B (Because Jellicles can and Jellicles do, Jellicles can and Jellicles do")

(The boldface syllables are accented)

PDVD_032.jpg

cats2308.jpg

Grizabella The Glamour Cat

lyrics & music by T.S. Eliot & Andrew Lloyd Webber, respectively

(I finally figured out most this song!)

Intro and Verses:

(arpeggio finger pick, using all bass lines inherent in this progression)

Em, F#m, G, Am, Bm, Dm, Bm, G (repeat)

VERSE 1:

Remark...the cat who hesitates

toward you

In the light of the door

which opens on her like a grin.

CHORUS

(dramatically, strum these chords)

Dm, Am, Eb, Gm, Em, F#m, G, Am (repeat)

You SEE the border of her coat

Is torn and stained with sand.

And you SEE the corner of her eye twist

Like a crooked pin.

Working on since ive been loving you trying to figure out the damn timing but there arent any good videos on that and im still strying to learn sheet music haha

Hi, Zozo1968! Do you mean you're learning to read chord frames? I dusted off my Led Zeppelin "cheat" book and found Since I've Been Loving You. Sorry, I don't have the chord frames. But I saw that the intro begins with Cm, Fm, Cm, Fm7, Cm7, Gm, Ab, Fm and then:

(ya know, that segue) a quick tempo'd Cm-Eb-D-Cm-Eb-D7...Dbmaj7...

(then the lyrics...)

(You play Cm then Fm alternately)

CmWorking from seven Fmto eleven every night.

CmIt really makes life a drag. FmI don't think that's right.

FmI've really been the best of fools. I did what I could yeah.

CmCause I love you baby. How I love you darlin'. How I love you baby.

Mama love, little girl, little girl.

GmBut baby since I've been loving you yeah. Ab, Fm [etc.]

I'm learning to play Come Together by The Beatles on the drums, I've been practising that for a few weeks. I'm also learning the Immigrant Song, the bass pedal throws me every time...

Hi, Zozo1968! Do you mean you're learning to read chord frames? I dusted off my Led Zeppelin "cheat" book and found Since I've Been Loving You. Sorry, I don't have the chord frames. But I saw that the intro begins with Cm, Fm, Cm, Fm7, Cm7, Gm, Ab, Fm and then:

(ya know, that segue) a quick tempo'd Cm-Eb-D-Cm-Eb-D7...Dbmaj7...

(then the lyrics...)

(You play Cm then Fm alternately)

CmWorking from seven Fmto eleven every night.

CmIt really makes life a drag. FmI don't think that's right.

FmI've really been the best of fools. I did what I could yeah.

CmCause I love you baby. How I love you darlin'. How I love you baby.

Mama love, little girl, little girl.

GmBut baby since I've been loving you yeah. Ab, Fm [etc.]

sweet thanks man i meant just the very beginning notes of it were getting at me... trying to figure out which notes go where cuz no video lessons do that and i cant read regular sheet music yet =/

but yea that helps alot too ill need to know that part too soon enough haha thanks man!

sweet thanks man i meant just the very beginning notes of it were getting at me... trying to figure out which notes go where cuz no video lessons do that and i cant read regular sheet music yet =/

but yea that helps alot too ill need to know that part too soon enough haha thanks man!

Hi Zozo1968! You're welcome. I bet you'll learn very soon. It takes time to learn to read music, chords on the guitar and be able to use shortcuts. I learned to play guitar by myself (many moons ago) with the help of the following:

1) My love of Peter, Paul & Mary, the renowned folksinging trio.

2) Demo album of Peter, Paul & Mary stuff (oops! I'm dating myself).

c) a corresponding book. It taught, a whole lot, using baby steps. There were big pictures of the guitar, which string was what, which fret gave you what note, etc.

I dunno if these types of books are still available. Hope so. Maybe you can find a similar type of book & CD to our favorite band--Led Zeppelin. Zoso1968, I have faith in your ability---you seem to be driven! ;)

haha thanks yea i jsut read a book, well only about 1/4 of it was actually a book the rest were blank sheets of music, on how to read it but i dont know if i should just go right into a song i already know and try to figure it out, or find something incredibly easy and try to go along with it that way to progress with reading it... im thinking the latter but i dont know what things would be incredibly easy enough for me to do it! =) (any suggestions?)

anyways.. mostly i try to figure songs out on my own with tabs and the good old ipod, but this time.. hes so damn quick taht i cant tell where hes pausing and whatnot... so i thnk thats going to be my summer project... learning that song... Thanks!

I taught myself Jane's Addictions' STOP last week and learned From the Begining by ELP off a guitar instruction website. I guess the latter is the easiest way to learn a song these days.

I've been thinking about starting a B.Y.O.Z thread to keep us entertained while the mighty LZ idles. B.Y.O.Z would stand for Be Your Own Zeppelin, and would serve as a forum for myself, Samo and whomever to hawk their personal Zep covers. I have an ulterior motive of maybe getting some sort of weekend warrior band together here in Portland. We'll see. I won't go it alone, so reply if interested.

I'm learning to play Come Together by The Beatles on the drums, I've been practising that for a few weeks. I'm also learning the Immigrant Song, the bass pedal throws me every time...

Doubles are easier to get with tighter spring tension on the beater/pedal, and a tighter kick drum skin, to answer the question you haven't asked. I've got a cheapy e-drum set (Yamaha DD-55), and is is not fun trying to get tight double kick hits out of that. Incredible value for the money though.

haha thanks yea i just read a book, well only about 1/4 of it was actually a book the rest were blank sheets of music, on how to read it but i dont know if i should just go right into a song i already know and try to figure it out, or find something incredibly easy and try to go along with it that way to progress with reading it... im thinking the latter but i dont know what things would be incredibly easy enough for me to do it! =) (any suggestions?)

anyways.. mostly i try to figure songs out on my own with tabs and the good old ipod, but this time.. hes so damn quick that i cant tell where he's pausing and whatnot... so i think that's going to be my summer project... learning that song... Thanks!

Hi, good idea, Zoso1968! :) The whole summer to learn is a great idea because it gives you time to learn the elements at your own pace, to internalize it, have fun with it, and with minimal frustration. :) Like you said, definitely find something you know and go right into it. The learning will be more meaningful that way. Yeah, true, Page is great! His abundant virtuosic gifts definitely include velocity. That's hard to master. Give yourself lots of time to get fluent re: that.

RATIONALE: It's a very good idea to learn how to read sheet music because it opens wide the doors to your quickly increasing your repertoire. :) And having fun doing it. The only "setback" here might be that you'll be even MORE driven. lol

SUGGESTION: Learn the C chord. Then the G chord. These are staples to playing rock and roll and rock guitar. Many songs can be played using these two chords. After having a blast playing with just these chords in your pocket, when ready, learn Am, and F. Lots of excellent songs have this chord progression: C, Am, F, G (or G7). Lots of "Four Seasons" songs, such as "Sherry [sherry, Baby]". If you've ever seen Grease, there's a great song called "We Go Together [like rama lama lama ga dinga ga dinga dong]" which employs this same chord progression.

Also, rokarolla mentioned something re: learning the guitar via a certain website. Sounds like a great option to start off with. ;)

I taught myself Jane's Addictions' STOP last week and learned From the Begining by ELP off a guitar instruction website. I guess the latter is the easiest way to learn a song these days.

I've been thinking about starting a B.Y.O.Z thread to keep us entertained while the mighty LZ idles. B.Y.O.Z would stand for Be Your Own Zeppelin, and would serve as a forum for myself, Samo and whomever to hawk their personal Zep covers. I have an ulterior motive of maybe getting some sort of weekend warrior band together here in Portland. We'll see. I won't go it alone, so reply if interested.

Hi, rokarolla! :wave: haha That's a great idea--BYOZ Am very much looking forward to your posts! ;)

BTW, love that ELP song ya mentioned!

Hey, Zoso1968! Me again. Maybe check out the thread called "Guitar Chords" (page 2) here in "Musician's Corner". The topic starter's name is The Bomber. Very comprehensive list of guitar chords. He even supplies the tabs within the little brackets. Like I suggested, maybe learn the C & G chords first. Then Am and F. Get into those fancy suspended chords, etc. later. Oh okay, if you want, learn one or two of the fancy ones like Asus4, Em, etc. Happy picking & strumming! :):guitar_mood:

sweet yea ill be printing out good old stairway to heaven sheet music then and trying to figure it out from there.. i know the whole song, just not quick enough to do the solo properly :angry: so ill just go back and forth and pick it up from there

ill look at the thread ya mentioned there Thanks!

sweet yea ill be printing out good old stairway to heaven sheet music then and trying to figure it out from there.. i know the whole song, just not quick enough to do the solo properly :angry: so ill just go back and forth and pick it up from there

ill look at the thread ya mentioned there Thanks!

Oh okay, you're welcome! ;) Say, do you play the electric or acoustic guitar or both? That's great that you know the whole song Stairway! Sounds like you play the electric cuz you mentioned that you're working on the solo part of Stairway. :)

i play both, have a jasmine(off brand takamine) nexus something... was 130 heres a link

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product...itar?sku=516458

and have my dads old 60's harmony rocket B)B)

http://harmony.demont.net/images/0/H54_Rocket_1966_02.jpg

thats not mine but its the exact same model neck is reeeealy nice on it brought it to guitar center yesterday and everybody was admiring it =) one of the guys that worked there was obsessed with it haha

all i have is an old 80's peavey amp, which sounds pretty cool for bluesy things but for more zep stuff going to be getting a marshall, probly mg30fx

Archived