RIP Michael Lee

ocean

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wjr-5wvrD-0

A tribute to Michael. (His birthday show.)

(Just to get you to watch it--it's a red-hot version of Rock and Roll, after which they throw a custard pie at Michael, he goes on bashing the skins to smithereens, then Robert leads the crowd in singing Happy Birthday. :D )

i got a chance to watch that the other day, very cool, thanks for posting it. michael lee definately had a creative spark as a drummer too, been listening to -walking into clarksdale and noticing the difference of that band compared to led zep. page plays more like he did with the firm on that record and there are songs where the drums are highlighted, like the title track. although the drums are key in most of the songs, with the shifts in tempo and different recording sound of the drums, like on -shining in the light, way back and sort of flatened out w/jimmys guitar.

• 2 weeks later...

Whoa! I'm so far behind and need to drop by more. I just found out while looking for some tab. What a great drummer and only a few years older than me. I got to see him in 98' and coincidentally was just watching him on the No Quarter DVD. I'm bummed. Practice is over. :(

• 2 weeks later...

In Michael Lee’s obituary appearing in The Independent, Robert Plant offers a statement about his former drummer:

“Michael was the rhythm bridge between the 1970s and the 21st century. On the work which was not original, he had a tough gig to visit Bonham-driven classics and present his own imprint. He mastered and transfigured, introducing an inherent swing mixed up with his drum-and-bass leanings; he always encouraged. His ideas were sharp and bright. It was not unusual for him to rehearse with Page, myself and Charlie Jones in London until 6pm, then head to Liverpool to set up his kit to accompany a midnight DJ mixers session – always cutting loose, looking for a new way. I lost him years ago and I regret it.”

That's the same quote that Paul Toogood posted from him on that tribute site, also posted here a couple of pages back--interesting that it found its way into the Independent, as I think PT had posted it before obituaries appeared in the major media.

Archived