298 members have voted

1. 1. Greatest Epic

• Stairway to Heaven
    • No Quarter
    • In The Light
    • Achilles Last Stand
    • Carouselambra
    • Kashmir

Based on IPMan's definition, I voted for 'Kashmir', but it's really a toss up between it and 'Stairway' because when I think 'epic' in music, so much of it is influenced by what images the songs create. Both 'Kashmir' and 'Stairway' move deep and far though to different landscapes - the one to deserts and ancient tales that winds carry, the other to knowing forests that hold or whisper secrets. 'No Quarter' and 'In the Light' are then tied for second (at the moment), especially when hearing them one after the other, because it's like the completion of a single story. NQ always made me think of 'The Seafarer' and 'The Wanderer' - cold, dark, wet, alone, hunted, desperate for the comforts of hearth and kin. ITL evokes a single beam of expanding light as the weary man opens a door and sees at first swirls of dust, then the rest of the room - bread, wine, and brotherhood; ITL is the other song of hope.
Of course, there's always Levee, Rain Song, etc. We're spoiled for choice here. I'm always awestruck at just how well they were able to convey musically the moods and stories of the lyrics. Perfect union.

Wow, I love your description of NQ & ITL, really beautiful and full circle. Never thought of the two songs as connected before, now I don't think I could think of them as not.

Wow, I love your description of NQ & ITL, really beautiful and full circle. Never thought of the two songs as connected before, now I don't think I could think of them as not.

Hi - thanks :) 9/10 I don't find the right words in the right order to express just what I feel or mean to say, so it's nice to know that every now and again something resonates with another person.

Archived