Pagey's amps at the O2

I was looking at pics from the o2 show today and I noticed Pagey's Marshall and Orange amps as usual, but in between I also another brand of heads and I was curious as to what they were. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

BK

I was looking at pics from the o2 show today and I noticed Pagey's Marshall and Orange amps as usual, but in between I also another brand of heads and I was curious as to what they were. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

BK

Rumour has it, Page didn't play the Marshalls on the day, he used the Oranges...

led-zeppelin-colour452.jpg

led-zeppelin-colour453.jpg

Rumour has it, Page didn't play the Marshalls on the day, he used the Oranges...

led-zeppelin-colour452.jpg

led-zeppelin-colour453.jpg

Really? That's wierd cause he used to only use the Oranges for theremin. That probably explains why there are four Oranges and two Marshalls instead of the other way around, though.

Oh, and thanks for posting the pics, cause I just figured out that the other brand there was called Petersburg. Anyone know anything about these amps?

• 2 weeks later...

The amps are Petersburg Amps. A relatively unknown builder from Russia in the 1990s, but to my understanding they do not exist anymore. Page used these heads during the P/P days and with the Crowes a little bit.

I would be incredibly surprised if Page really didnt use the Marshalls duing the show. I doubt there is any truth to that rumor. The clarity combined with that level of treble and brightness that he got (espeically with the #2 LP) sounded to me only somthing that a Plexi can create.

Page used the Orange AD30 as his main amp for the whole show, switching the Marshall & Pettersburg stacks in & out for specific sections at various times during the gig.

There is an interview with the soundman for the gig who confirms this - he also notes that the Orange is the loudest 30 watt amp he's ever come across. Here's the link:

http://fohonline.com/index.php?option=com_...6&Itemid=39

Also worth a reminder: there was one main amp & one spare in each of the four amp stacks. He wasn't using an eight amp setup, he was using a four amp setup with full backups.

Page used the Orange AD30 as his main amp for the whole show, switching the Marshall & Pettersburg stacks in & out for specific sections at various times during the gig.

There is an interview with the soundman for the gig who confirms this - he also notes that the Orange is the loudest 30 watt amp he's ever come across. Here's the link:

http://fohonline.com/index.php?option=com_...6&Itemid=39

Also worth a reminder: there was one main amp & one spare in each of the four amp stacks. He wasn't using an eight amp setup, he was using a four amp setup with full backups.

In addition to the 2 - Orange AD30s, he used 1 - AD50 and 1 - OR50, as per Orange themselves.

• 3 weeks later...
Is that all he used? It doesn't seem like it would be THAT loud. I would expect (assuming from the size of the arena) that they would use many more amps.

These days with the better PAs and audio equipment you could play Madison Square Garden with a Fender Twin and it'd be plenty loud...but you wouldn't get the sound and overdrive from all those lovely cabinets!!

Archived