Songs in the original tuning

Actually, No Quarter on HOTH was slowed down a half step, the original tuning was standard. Page played around with the playback speed on HOTH quite a bit,

with great results.

I'm pretty sure that No Quarter was the only Zeppelin track where the whole band including vocals were all re-pitched, I could be wrong though.

Yes, I read somewhere that it was slowed down. But as the HOTH version is the accepted studio version, technically, the slowed down tuning of that version is standard. I mean, look at Rain Song: they always played that above the pitch of the album version when they did it live. So, despite the "original" tuning being the same as the live one, the accepted "standard" tuning would be the one on the album version. I'm not sure why they did it this way live, you'd think they would try to be a bit closer to the studio take.

I didn't even notice the downtunings at first. You guys are too critical.

I did. You can really hear it on Stairway. Why did they tune down Stairway and not Kashmir? Guess Stairway is harder for Robert to sing these days. He sounded FANTASTIC on Kashmir with the high notes, weird..

Archived