What was it like?

iCraig

I saw them on Memorial Day of 1977 in DC, Landover MD at the old Capital Center. Seeing them walk out on stage in single file after the lights went out is a sight I will never forget. Couldnt believe I was about 30 feet away from them. I did see Page and Plant on their own later. This kid that went with me on the long journey had these two hot chicks smoking hash with him when I came back to my seats during Bonhams drum solo. I paid them no mind as I knew I had my whole life to see girls but would probably never see Zeppelin again. I had tried to sneak closer but they had 2 goons at each entrance the size of Paul Bunyon. Said not thanks, dont want my ass beaten and locked up in a strange jail cell on this night. So I went back to my seat and still couldnt believe I was there!

That must of been amazing mate !!

Sure was Leddy. Now its your turn. Hope you have the time of your life. I saw them against all odds. Just finding a scalper her in Rochester was quite a story. The guy came through, showed up in an expensive yellow corvette. Would never see him again. he had tickets for NY City. I got robbed the night before the concert in that dump of a city they call Washington. Never want to see the stinking place again. But we had our tickets and slept outdoors. Saw a pack of wild dogs go by. Scared to death being in a strange land. Spent the day outside the venue with these two poor girls from Pennsylvania that had no tickets. Felt bad for them. One of them had a cruch on Plant and Anderson from Yes. Would never see them again. It was a 12 hr bus ride to DC. I was 20. Still remember it like it was yesterday. Of course we had the big scare as some dumb ass threw a bottle rocket onstage as Page hit the first few chords to the Song Remains the Same. Saw Plant try and kick it. i thought his shirt caught fire for a minute. they went on playing like nothing happened even though you could tell Robert was pissed. I feared they would walk off the stage. I have a vivid memory of the blue lazor beam lights during Kashmir. Great concert. Hopiing Ill get another chance later.Good luck. The day is almost upon you. Tick tock

Cool story !! and yes tick tock to the big day !! do you have ticket stubs or anything from the shows ??

Sure do. I have my stub from 77. Mint condition. i think the free coke on the back is long expired. I have it stored in a safe place. Also have Elton John, Eagles and a few others. Talk to you later. goiing to bed. I know its wee hours there in England. Make sure you let us know after the big day how it went.

Sure will...night

I saw them on Memorial Day of 1977 in DC, Landover MD at the old Capital Center. Seeing them walk out on stage in single file after the lights went out is a sight I will never forget. Couldnt believe I was about 30 feet away from them. I did see Page and Plant on their own later. This kid that went with me on the long journey had these two hot chicks smoking hash with him when I came back to my seats during Bonhams drum solo. I paid them no mind as I knew I had my whole life to see girls but would probably never see Zeppelin again. I had tried to sneak closer but they had 2 goons at each entrance the size of Paul Bunyon. Said not thanks, dont want my ass beaten and locked up in a strange jail cell on this night. So I went back to my seat and still couldnt believe I was there!

That sounds awesome! i would give anything to be born in the years where i could have seen them live!

I was at the Knebworth gigs. Both great, but I would rate the first one as the best gig I've ever been to, better than the Who, the Stones, Cream or Springsteen.

I'm sure everyone's familiar with the footage from the DVD, which certainly brought back memories, but watching a gig on TV is a bit like watching a holiday programme rather than going on the holiday. Captures quite a lot of it, and gives you a good idea what it's like, but no substitute for actually being there.

my question is simple-for those of you who have seen Led Zeppelin live what was it like? i bet it was the greatest thing ever! :D

1977 Oakland . Mind blowing, my first concert and it was Zeppelin. Didnt ease into it with the Beach Boys or Buffet...nooooooooo.

The experience of the biggest line you have ever seen in your life before they opened the gates was as fun as the concert itself.

First off every single person there was hammered-not like now. The guy next to us was trying to jump off the second level balcony because he thought he could fly-must have been acid or something.

That was in the day when everything was general admission and a concert didnt set you back 6 weeks income.

The show was totally awesome, loud..but the acoustics in an open arena are crappy at best in those days. One really didn't go to concerts for the musical quality as much as just to see their rock idols.

All I knew is my cousin called with tickets to Zeppelin and there was no hesitation.

Never forget that day.

Archived