Is "Led Zeppelin" the Greatest Band ever?

ZoSo88

Very well said, I think also JPJ is one of the most underrated musicians of all time.

I'm sure you have all seen it, but in case some of you haven't watch the live video of In My Time Of Dying on YouTube and listen to the bass playing, particularly when JP is soloing. Absolutely awsome.

Zep the best band ever? But of course, by several country miles. No other band gets even remotely near in any way. Not for the songs, the riffs, the playing, the impact, the mystique or the all-round genius. In My Humble Opinion.... :D

(Was that a bit in-yer-face for a first post....?)

Whoever asked about Freddie Mercury saying Plant was his favorite...

I know that since his death, everyone under the sun has been said to be his favorite, and i hate that. I don't think Brian May is a liar, probably just didn't know what he was talking about or thought it was a good angle with Paul Rodgers joining queen. I don't remember the exact source but i recall it was credible, and Freddie expressed the fact that Robert Plant was his personal favorite vocalist, he said when Queen would do hard rock in the early days, people would compare them to led zeppelin, he thought it was the ultimate compliment. And he said he was thrilled that Robert Plant called him and expressed the fact he liked "Killer Queen" which was their first true hit.

Whoever asked about Freddie Mercury saying Plant was his favorite...

I know that since his death, everyone under the sun has been said to be his favorite, and i hate that. I don't think Brian May is a liar, probably just didn't know what he was talking about or thought it was a good angle with Paul Rodgers joining queen. I don't remember the exact source but i recall it was credible, and Freddie expressed the fact that Robert Plant was his personal favorite vocalist, he said when Queen would do hard rock in the early days, people would compare them to led zeppelin, he thought it was the ultimate compliment. And he said he was thrilled that Robert Plant called him and expressed the fact he liked "Killer Queen" which was their first true hit.

It was me who asked, and I appreciate your response. This is a bit of a touchy subject with me, because I feel like since Freddie died, various people have been putting words in his mouth to promote their own agendas. As much as I love, admire and respect Brian May, when I heard him say that Freddie considered Paul Rodgers his favorite singer, I knew he was saying it in an attempt to make Paul more palatable to any Queen fans who might be resistant to the Q+PR project, and that bugged me. It also bugged the 50 other people in the room with me at the Queen convention where we heard him say it. I'm not slamming Brian - he's a good guy and I know he didn't mean any harm, but - ugh. It just bugs me when people attempt to speak for the dead to justify or promote their own issues.

Ok, enough ranting from me. :)

Here's why I think they're the best.

-The studio catalog is perfect.

Not a single bad track.(Yes, I love The Crunge and Carouselambra and Hot Dog!)

-All their rock is roots oriented. You can hear their influences immediatly.

-They took it to a new level.

-Each member is a virtuoso in his own right.

There's lots of great rock bands, but (to me) noone else have all of the above qualities.

It was me who asked, and I appreciate your response. This is a bit of a touchy subject with me, because I feel like since Freddie died, various people have been putting words in his mouth to promote their own agendas. As much as I love, admire and respect Brian May, when I heard him say that Freddie considered Paul Rodgers his favorite singer, I knew he was saying it in an attempt to make Paul more palatable to any Queen fans who might be resistant to the Q+PR project, and that bugged me. It also bugged the 50 other people in the room with me at the Queen convention where we heard him say it. I'm not slamming Brian - he's a good guy and I know he didn't mean any harm, but - ugh. It just bugs me when people attempt to speak for the dead to justify or promote their own issues.

Ok, enough ranting from me. :)

No problem, and i understand. I've always hated words being put in people's mouths. What i read came from Freddie's quotes and im inclined to believe it, just like Roger Taylor claimed John Bonham was rock's greatest drummer. When he inducted LZ into the UK HOF, he said they knicked quite a bit from them. And "Innuendo" is supposed to be a tribute to "Kashmir" in many respects. I love LZ and Queen both so much, rarely do you find someone who picks those two as his or her favorites, but after trying to listen, analyze, and evaluate music...those are the two bands that ive been left with, that have made the biggest impression...and as i've stated, i think Queen is the only band that could rival Zeppelin overall, so it comes as no suprise that some of their members admired Zeppelin so much.

Depends on how you define the Greatest Band ever. :D

Led Zeppelin share the top Mainstream Rock Band tier (in my book) with these artists, whom I consider, a cut above the rest:

The Beatles

Pink Floyd

Nirvana

Metallica

Jimi Hendrix

Eric Clapton

The Rolling Stones

The Chili Peppers

Elton John

I'd take the Who over the Beatles, then a few other acts too.

Oh man - IMO The Who is not in the same league musically as The Beatles. Jimmy Page allegedly would agree - interestingly I'd read and heard from others that Page practically cannot stand The Who.

Though, I do personally think that Keith Moon is a KICK ASS drummer - one of the finest in rock.

One really needs to understand the history of rock music to truly know how great The Beatles are. Though their music alone makes it all clear to me. The vast majority of the greatest rock bands will cite The Beatles as their main inspiration. No other bands even come close - except LED ZEPPELIN that is.

I know this question gets asked alot. And there is usually a wide range of opinions on the subject. Alot of people say music is subjective, and you cannot declare one band the best. Personally, I think that although music is subjective, it might be possible to pick a best band. Kind if like, most would agree that Michael Jordan is the greatest basketball player ever, there were other greats, some might disagree, but there is only one Michael Jordan. Thats how I view Led Zeppelin. In my opinion they are the greatest of all time and here is why...

I've always thought records sales are very telling. Accasionaly you will get a freak pop group like the "Spice Girls" who sell ALOT in a short period of time, then die off. This is not the case with Zeppelin and most of the greats are right at the top of the album sales list. Led Zeppelin is the 2nd best selling band world-wide and in the US (behind The Beatles). They have the largest average concert attendance in US history.

I concider Jimmy Page the greatest guitarist ever, ahead of Hendrix, Clapton, Beck, Santana, Slash, Van Halen, and everyone else.

Robert Plant I believe was at one point the greatest Rock vocalist ever, but now would only be below Freddie Mercury of Queen.

Bonzo is the greatest Rock Drummer ever, and JPJ is one of the most versitile musicians in Rock history.

But Zeppelin was greater then the sum of their parts. Now finally making their music catalog available for online download will boost album sales like we've never seen before. There were over 120 million registrations for the Zep Reunion, thats more then baby boomer Nostalgia. Stairway is the most played song in the history of American FM radio, and their list of accomplishments goes on and on.

But when it comes down to it, its their music that trancends everything. So what do you guys think? Perhaps Zep might be the greatest? Who would come close, and who should be mentioned along with them?

:D Well, if Zep's not, it's SURELY far on top of the list out there!! :)

No problem, and i understand. I've always hated words being put in people's mouths. What i read came from Freddie's quotes and im inclined to believe it, just like Roger Taylor claimed John Bonham was rock's greatest drummer. When he inducted LZ into the UK HOF, he said they knicked quite a bit from them. And "Innuendo" is supposed to be a tribute to "Kashmir" in many respects. I love LZ and Queen both so much, rarely do you find someone who picks those two as his or her favorites, but after trying to listen, analyze, and evaluate music...those are the two bands that ive been left with, that have made the biggest impression...and as i've stated, i think Queen is the only band that could rival Zeppelin overall, so it comes as no suprise that some of their members admired Zeppelin so much.

Queen and Zep are my top two as well. :thumbsup:

Oh man - IMO The Who is not in the same league musically as The Beatles. Jimmy Page allegedly would agree - interestingly I'd read and heard from others that Page practically cannot stand The Who.

Though, I do personally think that Keith Moon is a KICK ASS drummer - one of the finest in rock.

One really needs to understand the history of rock music to truly know how great The Beatles are. Though their music alone makes it all clear to me. The vast majority of the greatest rock bands will cite The Beatles as their main inspiration. No other bands even come close - except LED ZEPPELIN that is.

I have to agree with you and would like to add that in order to be considered one of the greatest rock bands ever IMO, the artist has to inspire and influence other bands, and change the face of music forever.

I've read that Elvis Presley was a great influence on RP, who was another top tier rock artist. (Elvis was John Lennon's influence as well.)

I have to agree with you and would like to add that in order to be considered one of the greatest rock bands ever IMO, the artist has to inspire and influence other bands, and change the face of music forever.

I've read that Elvis Presley was a great influence on RP, who was another top tier rock artist. (Elvis was John Lennon's influence as well.)

Hello, Tyedye. Absolutely correct. Funny you mention that about Elvis - I was indeed going to write

1) Elvis Presley

2) The Beatles

3) Led Zeppelin

...but just mentioned Zep and Beatles, since I thought going back that far would confuse things for people, as most do not understand the incredible virtue of Elvis, for they don't know his earliest song catalog well enough (or at all) and judge him on later years work. What Elvis did from '54-'56 laid the majority of the foundation of Rock. Guess I'll put all three out there now.

Hello, Tyedye. Absolutely correct. Funny you mention that about Elvis - I was indeed going to write

1) The Beatles

2) Led Zeppelin

3) Elvis Presley

...but just put the first two, since I thought going back that far would confuse things for people, as most do not understand the incredible virtue of Elvis, for they don't know his earliest song catalog well enough (or at all) and judge him on later years work. What Elvis did from '54-'56 laid the majority of the foundation of Rock. Guess I'll put all three out there now.

Isn't John Lennon quoted as saying:

"Before Elvis, there was nothing."

I agree with your list above. Hands down, top 3.

I feel so bad for JPJ. He was great in so many ways, playing bass, keys, arrangement, and everything, he was very much an important part to Zepp. Alot don't even know that he wrote the main riff for Black Dog and gave it to Jimmy. The only area i could critique him in was performance, the music he made was great, no doubt. But he often looked so sad, rarely moved, and had next to no sportlight. But thats okay because that just wasn't him. And when you play in a band with the other 3, especially Page & Plant on front stage, those two were such hardcore performers, its easy to get overshadowed.

I've read that's pretty much the way Jonesy preferred it. His comfort zone was a bit different no?

Rolls>>> :wacko:

There is WAY too much music out there and WAY too many artists out there to single out some that are the "best." With so much music, and so many people with different tastes, how can there possibly be a 'greatest' band? And how can we decide that when no one has even heard half of the music that has been recorded in all of time? Its just not possible to have a 'greatest band of all time.'

This just about sums it up for me. Some would say that The Velvet Underground was the most influential band of all time because they did not sell many records but each and every one counted. But if we leave that to itself we could instead turn to other kinds of metrics.

And -and but - to do that, we need to define what "greatest band" means. Does it mean a band of great influence like "velvet" or does it mean popularity, like in ticket sales, or in album sales or what? Or does it mean some abstract metric like musical complexity or innovation?

I would like to propose that Zep scored high in all of those categories - almost any you could come up with really - even if not always highest as there are others like say Beatles, Beach Boys, Stones, Dylan and so on and so forth, but that in some abstract way they have become a kind of touch stone for a great part of modern music in terms of popularity and originality.

My two "ören"..

Archived