Genesis

ledzep45

I still remember when I first heard them. It was in 1976 and I was 11, and two new songs came on the radio, as a sort of introduction to their new album: Dance on the Volcano and Mad Man Moon. They quickly became one of my favorite groups after that. I got Wind and Wuthering later that year, or it could have been in 1977, can't remember exactly.

I used to really love those early Collins-as-singer albums, especially the live album, Seconds Out; and playing-wise it was great, no question about that. But later came to find some of the songs a little too cheesy at times after Gabriel left - don't really like things like Blood on the Rooftops or Afterglow, etc. nowadays. A Trick of the Tail was a much stronger album. By And Then There Were Three I started losing interest in them, and can't say I've changed my opinion since on that. I loved them for the more daring statements, not as a run-of-the-mill pop group.

Hence, my favorite for a long time now has been the Gabriel era - especially The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway. But most of those albums are very, very good - Nursery Cryme, Selling England, Foxtrot, Genesis Live. All wonderful stuff.

Edited by Otto Masson

I am getting into the Gabriel Genesis era at the moment. My fav genesis album (at the moment) is Selling England By The Pound. So, anybody else like Genesis?

How's it going "ledzep45?" I LOVE GENESIS! I also love PHIL COLLINS, MIKE & THE MECHANICS & PAUL CARRACK'S 1970's band ACE. Who can forget PETER GABRIEL, I always love his 1980's hit song "Sledgehammer." Great thread "ledzep45!" ROCK ON!

Am I alone in thinking they should remaster and expand the 1973 live album. Make it a doubte album. :thumbsup:

I think they are making a live boxset (like the recent remarstered boxsets) and no you are not alone, it would be nice to have them in remarstered condition :D

How's it going "ledzep45?" I LOVE GENESIS! I also love PHIL COLLINS, MIKE & THE MECHANICS & PAUL CARRACK'S 1970's band ACE. Who can forget PETER GABRIEL, I always love his 1980's hit song "Sledgehammer." Great thread "ledzep45!" ROCK ON!

Thanks ZeppFanForever B)

Sledgehammer is an amazing one, most of Peter's solo career I find very good. Phil Collins' drumming in Brand X is something I'll always appreciate especially too.

He's a bit of a tit sometimes yeah, but he has done some brilliant stuff that Collins.

Edited by d z

Sledgehammer is an amazing one, most of Peter's solo career I find very good. Phil Collins' drumming in Brand X is something I'll always appreciate especially too.

He's a bit of a tit sometimes yeah, but he has done some brilliant stuff that Collins.

I love Peter Gabriel's solo work as well, not to mention I have a lot of respect for the work he does through Real World Records. Funny though Sledgehammer is one of my least faves though. I have seen him in concert only as part of a festival - would very much like to see him some day.

^^I saw it! Great one!

I love Genesis since I'm ten! They were the first Rockband I ever liked...the Gabriel-Genesis for sure.

I have all the old LPs or Cds, and have tears in my eyes when I listen to Supper's ready.

Have any of you seen The Musical Box? They do an amazing show! I have seen them every time they were in my city.

The best a young fan can get!

I also like Phil Collins and Peter Gabriel's solo work. This morning on VH1-Classic, I saw the video with Peter and Kate Bush singing "Don't Give Up". I think it is a pretty song, but the video is kinda odd, I mean they are hugging the entire time!! I guess that is the meaning of don't give up, cause you have friends! Mike and the Mechanics had some great tunes too. :D

^^I saw it! Great one!

I love Genesis since I'm ten! They were the first Rockband I ever liked...the Gabriel-Genesis for sure.

I have all the old LPs or Cds, and have tears in my eyes when I listen to Supper's ready.

Have any of you seen The Musical Box? They do an amazing show! I have seen them every time they were in my city.

The best a young fan can get!

I haven't but a mate of mine who lives in Portugal raves about them.

• 11 months later...

Genesis will be inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame for 2010 along with ABBA, Jimmy Cliff, The Hollies and The Stooges. I'm not really up on who all is in the R/RHOF but I would have thought that Genesis would have already been inducted. It is about time!

• 7 years later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 4 months later...

I have to wonder if this "Last Domino?" tour is even gonna happen now...it may sound terrible, but with Phil's health issues, will Collins even be around to do these now rescheduled gigs? I read his book, given what he put himself through these last few years with the booze etc I'm surprised Phil Collins is still with us at all at this point. It's a sad, shocking story for sure.

That said, Steve Hackett's planned Seconds Out tour next year sounds more appealing to me than this weakened version of Genesis hitting the road. What can I say? I love Genesis, and I don't want to see Phil Collins not drumming, sitting in a chair, either in pain or highly medicated, singing slowed down, detuned versions of the old classics. 2007 was bad enough IMO.

• 4 months later...
  • 9 months later...