20 February 1972 Kooyong, Melbourne AUSTRALIA

RiotHouse

Australia really lacked decently large performance venues back in those days. The cricket grounds/ tennis stadiums/ race tracks, none of them had lights, because they weren't used at night, so bands like Led Zeppelin had to perform during the day. It wasn't until Kerry Packer got Day & Night cricket going in 1978, that we had any stadiums with lights.

Dazed & Confused...4.16pm

f_melbcrowdm_f0537a9.jpg

f_bandmelb3m_ba3d1ce.jpg

f_bandmelb4m_99eee6b.jpg

"Well it's started to rain, I think it's time we gotta go

If we don't go now, we're gonna die, we're gonna die i know i know,

Baby listen baby don't ya hear what i'm sayin',

We really hope to come back to Melbourne some other day..."

These black and whites with the wide angles have always been favs of mine. The sky, the people, it all looks eerie in a good way!

:)

• 3 months later...
This may be a way out question......but does anyone have any photo's or info on the Perth gig in 72. Apparently there was a small riot there, plus Pges cocain bust?

The band arrived at the White Sands Hotel in Scarborough, Perth, Australia on 2/14/72. On Thu, 2/17/72 (a day off in Perth after their Subiaco Oval concert) four members of the Drug Squad launched an unsuccessful raid upon their rooms at 8am that morning.

Aussie '72 tour recordings are covered in great detail within the first 10 or so pages of Zeppelin Mysteries thread in the Main Led Zeppelin Forum.

Australia really lacked decently large performance venues back in those days. The cricket grounds/ tennis stadiums/ race tracks, none of them had lights, because they weren't used at night, so bands like Led Zeppelin had to perform during the day. It wasn't until Kerry Packer got Day & Night cricket going in 1978, that we had any stadiums with lights.

I don't know about the other states but Sydney Showground DID have night lighting, used for the Royal Easter Show (which is on now) and had for many years prior to 1972.

The main reason was there was a ban on outdoor concerts at night to reduce noise "pollution" levels for the residents of Moore park.

I don't know about the other states but Sydney Showground DID have night lighting, used for the Royal Easter Show (which is on now) and had for many years prior to 1972.

The main reason was there was a ban on outdoor concerts at night to reduce noise "pollution" levels for the residents of Moore park.

Thanks Reggie. Will check that out.

• 2 months later...
Dazed & Confused...4.16pm

f_melbcrowdm_f0537a9.jpg

f_bandmelb3m_ba3d1ce.jpg

f_bandmelb4m_99eee6b.jpg

Wow... GREAT photos.

Does anyone know who took the first wide angle shot from directly behind the band?

I really desperately want a huge print of it to hang in my room.....

Any help is appreciated!!!

(awesome forum by the way!)

• 3 months later...

Wow... GREAT photos.

Does anyone know who took the first wide angle shot from directly behind the band?

I really desperately want a huge print of it to hang in my room.....

Any help is appreciated!!!

(awesome forum by the way!)

cough cough, bump?

• 3 years later...

Archived