what song started you on Zeppelin?

walrus15427

I was 11years old (1980) and was listening to the radio and heard Kashmir. At the end of the song I was hoping the DJ would say the band and song name but I was distracted and heard him only say Led Zeppelin. I didn't catch the name of the song. I had an Uncle who loved music and had a ton of albums so I turned to him. Told Uncle Gary I heard this amazing song by Led Zeppelin....don't know the name, it didn't have a chorus and it was a pretty long song. He said that's basically more than half of their songs. He handed me his 7 Zep albums (didn't have TSRTS or ITTOD) and told me "when you are done you are going to love them".

Well I started skimming each album and along the way I didn't realize how many songs I've heard and liked we're by Zeppelin. Finally I came across the last track on side 2 of Physical Graffitti and BOOM...there it was! I listened to Kashmir either 6 or 7 times in a row. Up till that point I thought Cheap Trick and Kiss we're the greatest bands in the world.

I'm sure I've heard Led Zeppelin numerous times before on the radio but one day back @ 1986-1987 I heard Black Dog on the radio and something clicked. I found out which album the song was in and bought it on vinyl. I was hooked from then on and had to get every album.

The release of ITTOD when I was 12 was huge for kids of my generation, at least it was in my small town. While not nearly my favorite album now, It made me and many others delve backward into older albums, and I've been a fan ever since. I think Dazed and Confused and Stairway were my gateway drug to all things Zeppelin though...those were the songs that really got me hooked, though neither are my favorites now, so many years later.

For me, that would definately have to be "Stairway to Heaven". I simply love this song, one of the few song ever written that I just can't get enough of. Here I took a shot of making a cover of the solo in a good environment

I'd heard LZ II on 8 track and loved the whole album. But a few years later,the local radio station played 'Boogie With Stu' and I had to seek out PG. Boy,was I in for a pleasant surprise!

Then I'd heard the BBC 71 gig on the radio and had to search the globe for each and every boot to hear what the live experience.

• 2 months later...

I heard Stairway to Heaven on the radio when I was 11 or so and it sounded so different from the other tunes on the radio; it was two to three times as long and had different parts to it like a symphony. I was amazed but didn't hear the album until I got some babysitting money together awhile later...then I was amazed that every track on the album was good--unlike other albums that me and my brother bought around the same time (1976). I went on to buy II, III and I, in that order, and by the time I got finished with those it was a done deal; they were the greatest rock band without question.

I think what really peaked my interest was a copy of LZ III. For a 12 yr old kid (in 1980) & first time/few listen(s) there's a lot going on. From the count in on Immigrant Song to the studio chatter before Friends, to the "Stop" on OOTT & Hats Off, etc.... I have heard a ton of zep before on local Chicago radio - but I got a copy of LZ III, didn't have a real big LP collection to choose from so it got played a lot... anyway... LZ III in 1980. Just was a bit deeper than my ELO or Eagles LP I had in the collection.

For me it was Whole Lotta Love. My father used to play that song from cassette when we were driving in our car. I was very young, but I can remember I was totally blown away by this wild song! :)

Other tapes my father used to put on while driving the car were Emerson, Lake & Palmer, The Stones, Sabbath and David Bowie, among others. To this day I thank my father for letting me hear all that fantastic music when I was young. If I ever have childeren of my own I will make sure to introduce them to the great music made in the sixties and seventies. :)

- peace all -

I was at home alone one New Year's Eve in high school feeling sorry for myself. I turned on a radio countdown and heard "Stairway to Heaven." I am pretty sure I had heard it before, but for some reason when I heard it that particular time, it really resonated with me. From that day on, I was hooked!

Archived