"The J. Geils Band Thread"

Dzldoc

I remember seeing these guys at the "Warehouse" in New Orleans back in the late 70's

What a party band these guys were. Always a great time at one of their concerts.

Anyone have stories of attending a J.Geils concert?

J_Geils_Band_1974_05.jpg

Peter Wolf and Magic Dick on his Lickn' Stick!

Saw them during the Full House Tour at the Gardens Aud. in Vancouver. They put on an awesome show. A party band if there ever was one and one of the better live act's of the day. They were very popular in these parts

Seriously underrated live act. They left it all out there every show, and looked like they were having a blast doing it.

Recommended Live album-Blow Your Face Out-1976

Songs

1. Southside Shuffle

2. Back To Get Ya

3. Shoot Your Shot

4. Musta Got Lost

5. Where Did Our Love Go

6. Truck Drivin' Man

7. Love-Itis

8. Intro: (Lookin' For A Love)

9. (Ain't Nothin' But A) Houseparty

10. So Sharp

11. Detroit Breakdown

12. Chimes

13. Sno-Cone

14. Wait

15. Raise Your Hand

16. Start All Over

17. Give It To Me

I have stories, but I ain't tellin' em.

Well, my first show was July 1973. Third row at Convention Hall, Asbury Park, NJ. I still own my red vinyl Bloodshot LP.

Saw them again in September 1975 at the college I was attending. That was 12th row.

I'm a big fan of Magic Dick and his lickin' stick.

Edited by JethroTull

I remember seeing these guys at the "Warehouse" in New Orleans back in the late 70's

What a party band these guys were. Always a great time at one of their concerts.

Anyone have stories of attending a J.Geils concert?

J_Geils_Band_1974_05.jpg

Peter Wolf and Magic Dick on his Lickn' Stick!

How's it going "Dzldoc?" AH HA!!!!!!!! I LOVE THE J. GEILS BAND! Another great band from the 1970's. Hell, I was so excited over this thread that I went and found my J. GEILS BAND collection on CD out of thousands and thousands and thousands of CD's that I own. AMEN!!!!! I've seen the J.GEILS BAND live twice and I loved them both dearly. I always loved the songs "Love Stinks," "Freeze Frame," "Centerfold," "Wild Man," "One Last Kiss" and "Land Of A Thousand Dances" to name a few. EXCELLENT thread "Dzldoc!!" ROCK ON!

Edited by ZeppFanForever

Seriously underrated live act. They left it all out there every show, and looked like they were having a blast doing it.

Recommended Live album-Blow Your Face Out-1976

Songs

1. Southside Shuffle

2. Back To Get Ya

3. Shoot Your Shot

4. Musta Got Lost

5. Where Did Our Love Go

6. Truck Drivin' Man

7. Love-Itis

8. Intro: (Lookin' For A Love)

9. (Ain't Nothin' But A) Houseparty

10. So Sharp

11. Detroit Breakdown

12. Chimes

13. Sno-Cone

14. Wait

15. Raise Your Hand

16. Start All Over

17. Give It To Me

Wow Levee,I've forgotten all about that album.That was a great one! I might have to try and pick that one up.

I have "Live" Full House and Whammer Jammer was one of my favorite tunes.Magic Dick was amazing.

I saw them so many times pre-1980 that I've lost track. They played here more than KISS. The beginning of a tour, the middle, and the end....sometimes 3-4 nights in a row. What else could you do at 16-18 for 5 bucks ? We never sat down....evah ! Those Cobo shows were absolutely nuts. Peter Wolf was a madman.

"We got the Detroit demolition here for ya tonite"

"Detroit breakdown.....Motor City Shakedown"

41RWb9J6vkL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

I still throw this on occasionally....."Surrender.....give up your heart !" One of those albums from my youth I never seemed to give up.

Edited by Bong-Man

Yes, Must Have Got Lost is a favorite of mine, along with Freeze Frame.

I saw them once in Montgomery, Alabama in 1976 or `77 (having a senior moment) with Mother`s Finest and Foghat.

My partners and I were the first ones in and they had tables turn on their sides to block the stage. We leaned on the tables, drank beer and burned a little rope. I know I shouldn`t say that here, but even the old cop sitting in an chair behind the tables told us to "twist it up".

Lord, I had to pee by the time it was over.

All the bands were great!

Need a little help with a song, not sure if J. Geils does it but there are a lot of drums at the end, almost like WAR, the band. :slapface:

41RWb9J6vkL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

I still throw this on occasionally....."Surrender.....give up your heart !" One of those albums from my youth I never seemed to give up.

Very cool to see a mention of Monkey Island here, sort of an overlooked classic (and one I really, really need to pick up on CD).

Sleeplesss.jpg

For those interested, I highly recommend Peter Wolf's Sleepless record which he released several years ago. It's well worth it, particularly the guest appearances from Mick and Keith (though those are only a few of many highlights from that album).

Sleeplesss.jpg

For those interested, I highly recommend Peter Wolf's Sleepless record which he released several years ago. It's well worth it, particularly the guest appearances from Mick and Keith (though those are only a few of many highlights from that album).

Gotta hand it to Peter The Wolfe. I would be sleepless to if I was divorced from Faye Dunaway.

I've never seen them live, though I wish I had.. I love a lot of their albums but many are missing in my collection as I discovered them fairly late. While reading this thread I had to put on The Morning After, which is a great album!

• 4 weeks later...

I don't know what it is about these guys but their stuff just seems so dated to me. Granted I've only ever heard one album (is it titled "Freeze Frame"? If I remember right, I think the cover is the guys standing around a ladder in painters get-ups...) and I've never seen/heard them live, but just the late 70's in general... doesn't do anything for me.

I can listen to ANYTHING related to rock or blues from 1950-1975 and from 1990-2000 all day long and they never get old, but for the late 70's in general... they're good for a few listens then get old...

In a way I'm pissed off I've never come across anything I can listen to consistently from the late 70's. Being a huge fan of music, I can, and do, only blame myself.., but maybe I've been turned off by the crap they play on the radio and never had the drive to investigate deeper...

Is there a different album you could recommend of these guys? Preferably live?

I don't know what it is about these guys but their stuff just seems so dated to me. Granted I've only ever heard one album (is it titled "Freeze Frame"? If I remember right, I think the cover is the guys standing around a ladder in painters get-ups...) and I've never seen/heard them live, but just the late 70's in general... doesn't do anything for me.

I can listen to ANYTHING related to rock or blues from 1950-1975 and from 1990-2000 all day long and they never get old, but for the late 70's in general... they're good for a few listens then get old...

In a way I'm pissed off I've never come across anything I can listen to consistently from the late 70's. Being a huge fan of music, I can, and do, only blame myself.., but maybe I've been turned off by the crap they play on the radio and never had the drive to investigate deeper...

Is there a different album you could recommend of these guys? Preferably live?

There are two good live sets that are worth looking for..First is " Full House " from 1972 and the other is from 1976 and is called "Blow Your Face Out". Two strong live albums. Another place to start your Geils collection would be to look for a two disc set put out by Rhino called "Houseparty-The J.Geils Band Anthology".

There are two good live sets that are worth looking for..First is " Full House " from 1972 and the other is from 1976 and is called "Blow Your Face Out". Two strong live albums. Another place to start your Geils collection would be to look for a two disc set put out by Rhino called "Houseparty-The J.Geils Band Anthology".

1972!? I didn't know they were around back then. I'll have to check this out - generally, I like a group's early work far better than their later stuff.

:o Holy sh1t... these guys formed in 1967!?... totally did not realize that.

I just pulled the LP I have off the rack, and it's definitely 1981's "Freeze Frame"

I think my opinion is skewed because I've only heard their later stuff after, according to Wikipedia, "they turned towards pop".

I think I had better listen to some of their early sh1t. Blues/rock!? I had no idea.

Sounds like these guys might float my boat after all.

:o Holy sh1t... these guys formed in 1967!?... totally did not realize that.

I just pulled the LP I have off the rack, and it's definitely 1981's "Freeze Frame"

I think my opinion is skewed because I've only heard their later stuff after, according to Wikipedia, "they turned towards pop".

I think I had better listen to some of their early sh1t. Blues/rock!? I had no idea.

Sounds like these guys might float my boat after all.

Have a listen to Sno-Cone....Good stuff. WCSX play the odd Geils rarity.Usually on the Ken Calvert drive home.They're one of his favourite bands. B)

• 3 years later...

J Geils Band is being sued by J Geils

121580412Getty070812.jpg

J Geils is suing the other members of the band that uses his name.

In a lawsuit filed in Boston Superior Court earlier this month, Geils claims that his four colleagues "planned and conspired" to prevent him from performing with them on an upcoming J Geils Band tour. The eleven-date US tour had been scheduled to begin on August 25 in Syracuse, New York.

John "J" Geils - the band's singer, lead guitarist and one of its founding members - is now seeking damages and full rights to the J Geils Band name.

His lawyer Charles Grimes told Reuters: "Together they're the J Geils Band, but separately they're Mr Wolf, Mr Salwitz , Mr Klein, and Mr Justman. They do not have the right to take his name and use it, and try to deny him the right to use his own name."

However, an attorney representing the other members of the The J Geils Band pledged to contest the allegations made by Geils and Francesca Records, a label he co-owns. "We will address the claims in the lawsuit including our own claims against John Geils and Francesca Records at the appropriate time," he said.

Formed in 1967, The J Geils Band recorded 13 studio albums and scored a US Number One hit with 1981's 'Centerfold' before disbanding in 1985. They reunited for live dates in 1999 and then again in 2009 and 2010, both times with Geils in the line-up.

Edited by Jahfin