BONHAM READY FOR LED ZEPPELIN THIS TIME

robertkincaid96

that performance was un rehearsed thats only bad thing page plant tour sounded great

Page and Plant live where brilliant at times. Jimmy's playing was amazing as was Robert.

For those who missed it, Pick up some boots. The shows in Japan while the band is working out the kinks with Tea For One is fantastic. Robert tells the Audience it's the first time they have ever played it live as they stop and go 2 times with much laughter going on and Jimmy pointing at Michael Lee. Beautiful versions in the end.

Bob, with respect to this board, yea i'm a wise ass, No I am not 20, I am around 40. Happy now?

I could give two fucks how many times you have seen Led Zeppelin or who you think you are. If I was 13, my opinion of you saying that the 88 live version of Kashmir is Zeppelin at its best. Is flat out, No questions asked, fucking retarded. And no matter how many Zeppelin shows, or who you think you are in "the business", or what you think of me, or if you have blown Robert a thousand times, is going to change that.

making friends Mr. Z? lol this was classic. i wonder if yank reads this shit.

What Boots do you own man ??

Which one's were better than the Atlantic 88 show ??

Dude, are you kidding? There are a MILLION boots better than the Atlantic 88 show. It's widely regarded as being a shambolic performance, even by the band members themselves. I have 100+ Zep boots, and I'd say it's pretty hard to find ONE that ISN'T better...

why do people argue there is no point, they are Led Zeppelin, the best rock group on the Planet, I thank god I saw them back in the seventies, I thank god I saw John Bonham, life is to short to argue about this and that,but I do know that the Bonham family, would absolutely give anything for John Henry Bonham to be playing next Monday night. But that is beside the point, arguing is so petty, and stupid.

I think they have the dates wrong, the reunion was at the Atlantic Records show in 1988 and they were fantastic, that version of Kashmir was the best ever in my book.

To each their own....Page's Heartbreaker solo was painful!!!

I still say you are all full of it,

I don't give a shit what Robert says, he said Live Aid sucked too.

At the same time Robert said a lot of his solo shit was great, much of it sucked, so there you go, Atlantic 88 was well done, a lot better than that Unleaded shit that was a reunion of Page and Plant that Plant thought was fantastic.

Plant thought the Honeydrippers was great too, not much of it was.

when i saw this i was like WTF? it sucked major donkey balls. i give bobo credit for his bart simpson like arguing skills.......

no way man, im right man, you are dumb man, you dont know shit man. :hysterical:

:D Bart Simpson like. Good one.

I saw Led Zep at MSG in June 1977. Kashmir was just great! I had tickets for a Philadelphia show that was cancelled after Karac's death. When the Atlantic Records 40th anniversary show was being advertised I was very psyched about it because I knew Led Zep was going to play there. I taped it on my VHS and was just so excited watching it live after not seeing them for so long. At the time I thought they performed great. A musician friend of mine told me otherwise. After watching them perform Kasmir on How The West Was Won, and then the same number at the Atlantic show, they really were not at their best at Atlantic 88. But then again I feel that ANY live Led Zeppelin is always GOOD!

I still say you are all full of it,
I don't give a shit what Robert says, he said Live Aid sucked too.

At the same time Robert said a lot of his solo shit was great, much of it sucked, so there you go, Atlantic 88 was well done, a lot better than that Unleaded shit that was a reunion of Page and Plant that Plant thought was fantastic.

Plant thought the Honeydrippers was great too, not much of it was.

To each his own, just know that your opinion flies in the face of 99.9% of Zep live gurus...but hey, you like what you like, that's cool.

Jesus Christ. :rolleyes:

Everyone is entitled to their own perceptions.

For the record though, I thought the Atlantic 40th show was weak. I've heard it a million times, and I've also heard dozens of full-on Zep shows. There is no comparison. And it wasn't entirely Jason's fault either. They were rusty, and probably felt awkward at the time.

Good news is, that was a long time ago and they're approaching this with the utmost care this time.

I just read through this thread......what riot.

I have to back MrZoso on this one.

I am a big Zep fan and I am a drummer and I can and will admit that Zep had some great performances and they had some "not so great" performances. I respect both opinions here but back MrZoso because I can make an objective decision even though I am a fan. That performance sucked. It was obvious they were not rehearsed and the sound crew/person compounded the problem by butchering the sound levels.

I have seen and heard many Zep performances and I will say some nights they were fantastic and some nights they were off. How can any true fan say they they never heard Zep have a bad night. It may have been due to lack of sleep, too many drinks, too much "help" or bad monitors, but they had some bad ones.

Even on their good nights Bonzo and Page got sloppy here and there, JPJ lost track of where Page was going, and Plant muffed some lyrics. It was their thing. Why anyone cannot admit it is foolish.

peace!

Pop I

I, too, will be 49 next May, and have been a Zep fanatic since high school. I saw them in Seattle in '77, and while that performamce had its ups and downs, the segue between White Summer, I think it was, and Kashmir was glorious--you could feel the entire arena (Kingdome) gasp.

And here's what I have to say about that '88 show and Live Aid--they BOTH sucked. Or, as Jimmy has said, they both were "shambolic". Missed cues, bad drumming (especially on Live Aid, I think), even Page the Riffmaster was way off...

Now, just to see them on stage together was a rush, so you could forgive a lot, but none of that was anything close to what Zeppelin was, or could still be.

And yes, I own a lot of boots too.

I, too, will be 49 next May, and have been a Zep fanatic since high school. I saw them in Seattle in '77, and while that performamce had its ups and downs, the segue between White Summer, I think it was, and Kashmir was glorious--you could feel the entire arena (Kingdome) gasp.

And here's what I have to say about that '88 show and Live Aid--they BOTH sucked. Or, as Jimmy has said, they both were "shambolic". Missed cues, bad drumming (especially on Live Aid, I think), even Page the Riffmaster was way off...

Now, just to see them on stage together was a rush, so you could forgive a lot, but none of that was anything close to what Zeppelin was, or could still be.

And yes, I own a lot of boots too.

Well put, fellow Ledhead!

I'll be turning the big 5-0 in a couple of months, and I've been severely addicted to their music since about 1970. And I've heard a lot of performances that were rough in spots (Seattle 1977 was a good example) but through all of them, there were always some grand moments. Like NQ in the aforementioned show. To even see them again would be fantastic. Will they ever sound like they did? Of course not. But will they be good this time? Absolutely.

The previous 1985 and 1988 "reunions" were a mess, particularly that Live Aid show. I expect much better this time....

Jimmy suffered the most from the Atlantic reunion. He said it himself recently that people walked away thinking that he had totally lost it. I think that really put a bad spin on his Outrider album sales and tour. When I saw him on the Outrider tour he played a lot better than he did at Atlantic. So he's been trying to recuperate his image ever since with mixed results.

Jimmy suffered the most from the Atlantic reunion. He said it himself recently that people walked away thinking that he had totally lost it. I think that really put a bad spin on his Outrider album sales and tour. When I saw him on the Outrider tour he played a lot better than he did at Atlantic. So he's been trying to recuperate his image ever since with mixed results.

I admit I was worried about Jimmy's future myself after that. Then I caught an Outrider live show, my fears were put to rest. He was MAGNIFICENT.

Go figure.

I thought the same thing after watching the 88 show. Page didn't have as much production control over their set and doubtless it frustrated him, affecting his performance. When I first heard the recording I wasn't really aware of that and thought that perhaps he had simply deteriorated as a guitarist. I saw Page on his Outrider tour in Dallas a few months later and he kicked ass! Whew, what a relief. He played STH as an instrumental and it was gorgeous.

News - Music, movie, Entertainment

BONHAM READY FOR LED ZEPPELIN THIS TIME

Print article

Refer to a friend

Movie & Entertainment News provided by World Entertainment News Network (www.wenn.com)

2007-12-03 00:42:27 -

LED ZEPPELIN star JASON BONHAM was thrilled to get another chance to honour his father, the band's original drummer JOHN BONHAM - because he wasn't prepared for his last supergroup show.

The rockers reformed for secret rehearsals this summer (07), and Bonham admits he feared the group would sound rusty after years spent apart - but the get together was an emotional and musical success.

And he's glad he turned up ready to rock this time after playing poorly with his late father's former bandmates when he joined them for a set at the Atlantic Records 40th Anniversary Concert in New York in 1998.

Bonham, who is now Foreigner's full-time drummer, reveals his performance at that reunion was lazy and he's keen to make amends when the supergroup performs at the Ahmet Ertegun tribute concert later this month (Dec07) in London.

He tells Rolling Stone magazine, "I took it for granted... and didn't do my homework." Singer Robert Plant admits he too was a little disappointed with Bonham's attitude and performance at the 1998 show.

He explains, "When Jason was younger and more juvenile, he thought (playing in Zeppelin) was a hereditary situation. But now, Jason knows that not only is he the right guy for this... he's changing it." Bassist John Paul Jones adds, "Jason has an encyclopedic recall of every live bootleg and studio outtake."

Link

Well, I'm sure as hell looking forward to his performance, I'll bet it will blow everyone away! Can't wait to see it (on dvd!).

I was at the atlantic show in 88, and it was far from their best performance. bonham wasn't great and page just was off - he couldn't cut it during the heartbreaker solo, and even stairway lacked.

it was cool in being able to say that i was there, but it wasn't a great performance. i've seen each of them do much better (not even counting actual led zeppelin performances) page was off during the solo for heartbreaker, and stairway was lacking. the keyboard for kashmir had that artificial synthesizer sound (i have to say that the only live version of kashmir i've ever heard that did the song any justice was the page/plant non quarter version - but that's just an aside)

anyway, there's my two cents.

Seems all the level headed Zeppelin fans have emerged lol. I believe bob did not like someone telling him he was wrong. Either that or he has mental issues. That night from 88 was the biggest disappointment in my life as a Zeppelin fan. When I left work that day, I knew what waited for me that evening. I told my fellow workers, Tonight you all get to see the Greatest rock band of all time!

Needless to say it didn't go over very well the next day. I was unapproachable.

Archived