Rehearsals at Manticore Studios, early 1977

Otto Masson

Fascinating photos and information. Manticore looks quite rough & rustic, doesn't it? Bordering on Dickensian.

I've always loved that photo of Pagey in his country boots lying on the ironing board (?) propped up by tyres. Adorable smile he's got.

I think Manticore used to be an abadonned cinema theatre that was used as rehearsal room mostly by ELP. Keith Emerson talks in his Authobiography about the riot that was going on downstairs at the Zep place while they were trying to rehearse;- )

• 11 months later...

All Jimmy's interviews from that day at Swan Song in November state that they will begin their US tour in February, in fact I think it began in April, so not sure what happened there.

Yes, it was originally scheduled to start Feb 27th in Ft. Worth. The first ten tour dates were announced January 20th 1977…all sold out...three additional LA Forum dates were added...everything was postponed on February 24th 1977

until April 1st on account of Robert Plant's tonsillitis. Jimmy said he didn't touch a guitar again until they rehearsed in Dallas (March 29-31) because all their gear had already been shipped over to the states. A Toronto concert and two

Montreal concerts were cancelled as a result of the rescheduled tour itinerary.

• 3 months later...

Keith Richards was busted for heroin possession in Toronto the very week Zeppelin postponed the 1st leg of the 1977 tour. When they reshuffled dates all of the Canada dates were off the schedule. It seems to me it was more than coincidental they didn't venture into Canada after Keith's scenario unfolded. With all the alleged drug activity in the Zeppelin camp at that time it appears they didn't want to trust their luck by crossing the border.

Keith Richards was busted for heroin possession in Toronto the very week Zeppelin postponed the 1st leg of the 1977 tour. When they reshuffled dates all of the Canada dates were off the schedule. It seems to me it was more than coincidental they didn't venture into Canada after Keith's scenario unfolded. With all the alleged drug activity in the Zeppelin camp at that time it appears they didn't want to trust their luck by crossing the border.

Man I want that shirt, not the t-shirt but that red one. Fucking awesome!

Also, Jimmy must have been smoking a tonne of cigarettes during this period, there's hardly a photo of him without one!

• 2 years later...

Led Zeppelin started rehearsals for the 1977 U.S. Tour early in the year. They began somewhere in northern London, and then moved to Manticore studios in Fulham, where the following pictures are all taken. I wonder whether anybody has more photos from there, or indeed more detailed information about the rehearsals? Some exact dates, perhaps? Anyway, here goes.

1977_Manticore20steel_1.jpg

jp77rehersal.jpg

j209.jpg

jima.jpg

These pictures are from 1975 not 1977 Kate Simon Photographer

https://www.morrison...otographID=4735

• 7 months later...
  • 10 months later...

Yes, Manticore was a cinema, ELP i.e Emerson Lake & Palmer owned it and used it for rehearsals, practice etc. & storage & also rented it out. It was a bit rough and ready, but not dirty as far as i saw, I was a minicab driver and Swan Song (Led Zeps own record company) had a account so drivers like me took members of staff and sometimes band members around. As i was known i was invited inside a couple of times, and waited, watching rehearsals till they finished. Not sure of year (not 1977) but think all were times was for the last rehearsals as Bonzo departed and Zep finished soon after last visit.

One time i was there about 1/2 hour or more, the band were on the stage playing, the large sloped area in front of stage was (always) clear of seating and was empty with just the sound engineers with their desk/equipment near the rear, (where i stood/waited & watched), during a band part (without Robert Plant singing) a string on Page's guitar broke and a roadie came on to repair it. Robert had came off stage and started kicking a football around and the 2 engineers and myself just passed/kicked the ball around for a while (even after string was repaired and band restarted).. Apart from myself, never saw anyone else there, ,though may have been roadies at rear.

At the end of one session the band wanted a drink and with one engineer and myself walked (about 100 yards) around to the Red Lion and had a drink, there were a number of head turning, but no one hassled us (must have been about 7-9pm as not dark), though Jimmie stood behind the bar (staff area). But that was not a normal pub, lots of bands used it infact it was the regular for for many including Mitch Mitchell (Jimi Hendrix band) as he lived in the road opposite.

As was over 30 years ago, i do not remember any of music played, or what they wore etc.

Just that is was magic, even when mistakes were made and they had to do it again.

p.s. lots of bands used it, remember Wings there for quiet a while.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

I used to go and watch at Manticore. It was around the corner to where I lived. Led Zeppelin did frequently go to The Red Lion, which changed name to The Goldon Lion. I also watched Barclay James Harvest and Bethnel rehearse there. Manticore had a full size stage and was used for the 1977 American Tour. The Golden Lion is where Jimmy presented one of his guitars to a Canadian man, who had won 'The Capital Radio,'Save A London Child', "Silly Party Night Raffle. In December 1982. I was there that night, which I have previously written about. As an extra snippet, the last film to be shown before the cinima closed was. Richard Rowntree's 'Shaft'. in 1972.

ZISH.

I used to go and watch at Manticore. It was around the corner to where I lived. Led Zeppelin did frequently go to The Red Lion, which changed name to The Goldon Lion. I also watched Barclay James Harvest and Bethnel rehearse there. Manticore had a full size stage and was used for the 1977 American Tour. The Golden Lion is where Jimmy presented one of his guitars to a Canadian man, who had won 'The Capital Radio,'Save A London Child', "Silly Party Night Raffle. In December 1982. I was there that night, which I have previously written about. As an extra snippet, the last film to be shown before the cinima closed was. Richard Rowntree's 'Shaft'. in 1972.

ZISH.

Shaft, man that was a long time ago, back when Isaac Hayes was the shit! I remember having to special order a cassette of The Theme From Shaft because it was impossible to get back in the 70s. I hope it doesn't get imprinted on my mind for the next three months, now that it's in there again...

Who's the black private dick
That's a sex machine to all the chicks?
(Shaft)
You're damn right

Who is the man
That would risk his neck for his brother man?
(Shaft)
Can you dig it?

Who's the cat that won't cop out
When there's danger all about?
(Shaft)
Right on

They say this cat Shaft is a bad mother
(Shut your mouth)
But I'm talkin' 'bout Shaft
(Then we can dig it)

He's a complicated man
But no one understands him but his woman
(John Shaft)

Shaft, man that was a long time ago, back when Isaac Hayes was the shit! I remember having to special order a cassette of The Theme From Shaft because it was impossible to get back in the 70s. I hope it doesn't get imprinted on my mind for the next three months, now that it's in there again...

(Shaft)
You're damn right

Who is the man
(Shaft)
Can you dig it?

(Shaft)
Right on

(Shut your mouth)
(Then we can dig it)

He's a complicated man
(John Shaft)

That brings back memories. Say what you will about the 1970's blacksploitation films; they had kickass scores. Shaft, Superfly, Trouble Man, and Watermelon Man all come to mind.

(Shaft)
You're damn right

Who is the man
(Shaft)
Can you dig it?

(Shaft)
Right on

(Shut your mouth)
(Then we can dig it)

He's a complicated man
(John Shaft)

Hi Daniel.

I also hope that the theme tune from Shaft does not replay over and over in you head until the new year.

We've gone from Zeppelin to Shaft in one giant leap. Thanks for the lyrics.

All the best.

ZISH.

I remember watching "some" of Shaft, but I heard the all of the soundtrack. I went on a double date (no driver's license -- I was 15, and my date was a year older) to see Shaft at the Drive-In. My buddy (16, and with a Driver's license),and his date actually watched all of the movie, while I, made out with my date in the back seat.

So yeah, I have memories around Shaft, on one of my first dates. My family was hosting a family reunion at the time, so I wore collared shirts to hide the fresh hickys on my neck. My mother had compassion on me, and applied some make-up to hide the hickys.

• 3 years later...

Archived