JIMMY CONSIDERING ROCK HALL OF FAME EVENT

SteveAJones

On April 4, 2009, the Rock n Roll Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony will take place in Cleveland for the first time since 1997. It will also be simulcast live on Fuse TV.

Guitarist Jeff Beck is to be enshrined, and he has asked an old friend who also plays guitar, a certain Jimmy Page, if he would give an induction speech at this event. As we all know, annual induction ceremony always culminates in a jam!

Jimmy is giving due consideration to Jeff's request.

Oh, and where's Eric?

It was an April morning when they told us we should go

And as I turned to you, you smiled at me, how could we say no?

- Achilles Last Stand

Thanks Steve :)

Maybe I've got Jimmy Page confused with Rod Stewart. I've lost track over the years about who disagrees with whom over what.

While on the surface Beck seems to have departed the group because of his health, Jimmy Page, who had been invited into the band in 1966 by Beck himself, tells a different story:

“ It was on that Dick Clark tour — there were a few incidents. One time in the dressing room I walked in and Beck had his guitar up over his head, about to bring it down on Keith Relf’s head, but instead smashed it on the floor,” Jimmy Page recalled years later. “Relf looked at him with total astonishment and Beck said, ‘Why did you make me do that?’ Fucking hell. Everyone said, ‘My goodness gracious, what a funny chap.’ We went back to the hotel and Beck showed me his tonsils, said he wasn’t feeling well and was going to see a doctor. He left for L.A., where we were headed anyway. When we got there, though, we realized that whatever doctor he was claiming to see must’ve had his office in the Whiskey. He was actually seeing his girlfriend, Mary Hughes, and had just used the doctor bit as an excuse to cut out on us. ”

The following year, Beck formed a new band called The Jeff Beck Group, which featured him on lead guitar, Rod Stewart on vocals, Ron Wood on bass, Nicky Hopkins on piano, and Micky Waller on drums. The group produced two albums, Truth in 1968 and Beck-Ola the following year. These two albums are highly acclaimed, and are considered by some to be among the precursors to heavy metal. Owing to friction within the band, Stewart and Wood left the group in 1969 to replace Steve Marriott in the Small Faces.

Truth (1968) was the first full-length album by Jeff Beck and his backing group. Highlighted by covers of the Yardbirds' "Shapes of Things", Willie Dixon's "I Ain't Superstitious" and the traditional "Greensleeves", it is considered by many to be one of the first heavy metal albums, preceding the early Led Zeppelin albums, with which it has much in common in terms of its approach. Jeff Beck later accused Jimmy Page of stealing his idea when Led Zeppelin's first album also contained a cover of the Willie Dixon song, "You Shook Me", which led to an argument between the two and had a negative effect on their friendship. Nevertheless, they seem to have come to terms now, after doing a common interview for the Classic Rock magazine.

http://chrisgoesrocks.blogspot.com/2009/01...um-uk-1968.html

Maybe I've got Jimmy Page confused with Rod Stewart. I've lost track over the years about who disagrees with whom over what.

That article you posted talks about their relationship in 1966 - MANY years ago. Things change - people mend fences. Again, if they didn't get on, why would Jeff ask Jimmy to induct him :rolleyes:

CLEVELAND ROCKS!

I was already planning on going to this event with my son who is a Metallica fan if they got inducted. Now, the added benefit of possibly seeing Jimmy is a unexpected bonus! We planned this trip when we were at the Les Paul Tribute Concert in November.

Just a note: Tickets go on sale to the public on Saturday January 24th for walk up customers and on Monday, January 26 through Ticketmaster at 10 AM. Tickets to Hall of Fame members are available on Thursday and Friday, January 23 and 24th. Cost is $35 or $75 to all.

I knew that membership I got in November when I was at the RRHOF would come in handy! :lol:

http://www.rockhall.com/induction2009/ticket-info

CLEVELAND ROCKS!

I was already planning on going to this event with my son who is a Metallica fan if they got inducted. Now, the added benefit of possibly seeing Jimmy is a unexpected bonus! We planned this trip when we were at the Les Paul Tribute Concert in November.

Just a note: Tickets go on sale to the public on Saturday January 24th for walk up customers and on Monday, January 26 through Ticketmaster at 10 AM. Tickets to Hall of Fame members are available on Thursday and Friday, January 23 and 24th. Cost is $35 or $75 to all.

I knew that membership I got in November when I was at the RRHOF would come in handy! :lol:

:huh: Is the Hall of Fame near down town? I'm going to look at hotels.

If I can get tickets I'm going.

CLEVELAND ROCKS!

Do you have the tickets automatically as a member or you get a presale type situation?

The sentiment expressed in the song is universal to humanity. Too old friends refusing to go gently into the good night.

..............universal indeed.......

After all the fame and fortune has been achieved, there is nothing left to accomplish but friendship, the ultimate reward.... I do believe they will put their differences aside (if any) and let their creativity guide them to togetherness....

...and we can only hope their passion continues in some form of creativity....

and some luck fans will witness this historic event....good luck everybody!!!

:huh: Is the Hall of Fame near down town? I'm going to look at hotels.

If I can get tickets I'm going.

Hi Charles,

I stayed at the Marriott downtown and had a room overlooking the Cleveland Browns stadium and the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, great view. The Marriott is a nice hotel. It is downtown and everything seems to be within walking distance.

Cleveland has a Ritz Carlton hotel which is already booked up, as it was for the Les Paul Concert, probably where all the celebrities stay.

There is a nice hotel called the Renaissance that I have stayed at several times in the past. I also talked to people that stayed at the Holiday Inn downtown and they said it was nice.

Here is a link to hotels.

http://www.cityvisitor.com/packages/view/00000001/true

As of a couple of years ago, they seemed to get along just fine :D

28hkjuq.jpg

(Thanks you Gina62 for posting this in the HPOJ thread!)

As of 12-10-07 the reunion show they seemed to be getting on extremly well. Jeff Beck not only attended the Ahmett Tribute concert but also met with and delivered a package to Jimmy Page backstage. I saw this with my own two eyes as well as spoke to Jeff Beck at the bar right before Led Zeppelin took the stage. His departing words for me were "This is gonna be a good one mate" It seemed to me that not only are they close friends but he respects Jimmy Page very much. It's good to hear that JP is considering a tribute by attending and possibly playing with his old friend. Jeff Beck is still one of the greatest guitar players of all time.

It's silly to think there's any animosity between Beck and Page after all these years. Whatever few disputes or grudges were held at the dissolution of the Yardbirds have obviously been forgiven and forgotten by the looks of photos and interviews with the two since then. I hope Page honors a good friend. I hope I can get a ticket. I hope..

Archived