Jeff Beck claims creation of Led Zep

Led ZOSO

In the January 18th Sunday Herald Sun newpaper in Melbourne, Australia, Jeff Beck claims that he influenced Jimmy Page into creating Led Zeppelin.

In an interview with Jeff Beck amid his upcoming tour of Australia after 32 years the article says:

Beck back at last

At one point, Beck almost formed a band with Keith Moon when the infamous sticksman was disillusioned with the Who - but it was not to be. Beck describes it as "the biggest disappointment of the '60's". But there is one memento of the union: the powerhouse Beck's Bolero. The session served as blueprint for the '70's biggest rock act, Led Zeppelin.

"That was the nucleus of what I hoped would be my new band: Jimmy Page on rhythm guitar, John Paul Jones on bass and Keith Moon on drums," he says.

"Have a look at Led Zep and you can see how Jimmy was affected by it.

"Keith said we were going to go over like a lead balloon, which is the qute that gave Led Zeppelin their name."

So can we now blame Jeff for Zep's non-reformation because, afterall, he started it. Without him getting this thing going Robert would've never had the chance to be elusive of late.

It's Jeff's fault, it's now revealed.

:hysterical::hysterical:

It was always Jeff's fault. We just refused to admit the truth!

This thread wins the prize for the most misleading title. :P

And the Zeppelin/"Beck's Bolero" subject has been well-covered.

Why do you say it wins the prize for the most misleading title. The title says what the article is saying. The original article contained mainly why he hasn't been to Australia and his reasons. What I posted was just mentioned at the end.

I feel his biggest contribution was walking out of the Yardbirds. With Jeff out of the picture Jimmy starting moving in the direction that would become LZ. I don't know if "influence" is the right word but he definitely played a part, even if it was somewhat indirect.

I feel his biggest contribution was walking out of the Yardbirds. With Jeff out of the picture Jimmy starting moving in the direction that would become LZ. I don't know if "influence" is the right word but he definitely played a part, even if it was somewhat indirect.

Jeff was certainly instrumental in creating victims of circumstance. The disgruntled Led Zeppelin fans that are sitting and waiting on that evasive reunion. I swear, I really believe it's ALL Jeff's fault.

He need to apologize.

Why do you say it wins the prize for the most misleading title. The title says what the article is saying. The original article contained mainly why he hasn't been to Australia and his reasons. What I posted was just mentioned at the end.

OK, the article is misleading then. :) Jeff Beck never claimed he created Led Zeppelin. Though the rest of the quote--what Beck had hoped to achieve, and his influence--is true enough. But the band he was hoping to get together wouldn't have been Zeppelin.

I wonder why Jeff said that Jimmy was going to play rhythm guitar- weren't they going to do the dual lead guitars like they did for a short while in the Yardbirds?

Hard to say but there is no shame in playing rhythm guitar, those who do it well are in a league of their own. It was Jimmy's rhythm playing and layering of guitars that made the Zep albums sound so great, IMO soloing is not his strength. Not that there is anything wrong with his solos but he had a gift for the other stuff.

:ph34r:

In the January 18th Sunday Herald Sun newpaper in Melbourne, Australia, Jeff Beck claims that he influenced Jimmy Page into creating Led Zeppelin.

In an interview with Jeff Beck amid his upcoming tour of Australia after 32 years the article says:

Beck back at last

At one point, Beck almost formed a band with Keith Moon when the infamous sticksman was disillusioned with the Who - but it was not to be. Beck describes it as "the biggest disappointment of the '60's". But there is one memento of the union: the powerhouse Beck's Bolero. The session served as blueprint for the '70's biggest rock act, Led Zeppelin.

"That was the nucleus of what I hoped would be my new band: Jimmy Page on rhythm guitar, John Paul Jones on bass and Keith Moon on drums," he says.

"Have a look at Led Zep and you can see how Jimmy was affected by it.

"Keith said we were going to go over like a lead balloon, which is the qute that gave Led Zeppelin their name."

Hey-Up,

I think Mr Jeff is talking outta his "BECK-SIDE" his ARSE.

Stop trying to be a glory Hunter, & go Beck & hide.

Nobody can take the Credit for Led Zeppelin, other than Led Zeppelin & Mr Peter Grant :notworthy:

As for "Sir"Jimmy stuck on Rhythm!!! & no Bonzo?? get real Jeff, seems like you have a Book deal or something, & you need a little "Lime-light" to get noticed for people to buy it.

All the best,

Hang-man :ph34r:

Jeff Becks attention span is notoriously short. He's just not a 'one band' type of guy.

Even if they had formed a band Beck would have bailed out of it with a quickness.

He also has never played in a band with another guitarist, except for the Yardbirds,

and he left that band shortly after Page switched from bass to guitar.

I think Beck is suffering from a touch of 'Zeppelin envy', along with many others.

Its understandable though. I think the 02 performance blew a lot of people away

and also opened up old wounds for some at the same time.

Jeff and Jimmy are friends, and I think their arguing about 'Beck's Bolero' (credited to Page on Beck's album, Truth) is something they go on about at least partly in jest. There is an old thread about that HERE.

As for Jeff influencing Jimmy into doing Led Zeppelin, I honestly don't take that very seriously either, although I do think it's partly true. Beck has sometimes talked about the blond singers...! :lol: Well, Jimmy wasn't looking for one, he was looking for Terry Reid, but got Robert instead.

They were both members of the same band before Jeff Beck did Truth - and they worked together on the Bolero, with the heavy riffs in the middle section, etc. Not just that, but Jimmy added a lot of things to what the Jeff Beck Group did - would Jeff have done BIGLY? BMS? No way, and those things were an integral part of Jimmy's idea, and they represent enduring influences from elsewhere, not Jeff. And a part of Jimmy's vision for Led Zeppelin was also the space given for the other band members to express themselves. Jeff's band was another story.

Jeff Beck starts his Australian tour here in Perth tonight. He was interviewed on 'The 7.30 Report' a couple of nights ago.

Does anyone else think he is referring to Led Zeppelin at about 3.00? Scroll on the right for the interview.

http://www.abc.net.au/7.30/default.htm

That clip was brilliant - thank you so much for the link. I enjoyed hearing Jeff talk about the genesis of Stevie Wonder's "Superstition" - sounds like Beck maybe should have gotten a co-writing credit for that one.

Ooh, and the murky video/kinescope/sumpin' of The Yardbirds playing "Happening Ten Years Time Ago"... too much, man, too much.

jeffnjimmy.jpg

Archived