The Kansas Thread

Cletus

Does anybody like Kansas around here?. I have the first 5 albums(Debut through POKR). There are some real gems on all those albums, such as "Journey From Mariabronn", "Death Of Mother Nature Suite", "Song For America", "The Pinnacle". "Magnum Opus", and of course their hit song "Carry On Wayward Son".

I ALso think Steve Walsh has one of the most soulful and powerful voices in rock music.

What say all of you?.

Does anybody like Kansas around here?. I have the first 5 albums(Debut through POKR). There are some real gems on all those albums, such as "Journey From Mariabronn", "Death Of Mother Nature Suite", "Song For America", "The Pinnacle". "Magnum Opus", and of course their hit song "Carry On Wayward Son".

I ALso think Steve Walsh has one of the most soulful and powerful voices in rock music.

What say all of you?.

I say I was never really a fan of theirs. I liked Dust in the Wind and it was the first song I learned on guitar, but beyond that, they didn't really float my boat.

What say all of you?.

How's it going "Cletus" as well as our fellow die hard hard core ZEPPELIN fanatics? So far, the week has been going great and fast to say the least. I am a big fan of KANSAS. My two favorite albums by KANSAS are MASQUE from 1975 and LEFTOVERTURE from 1976. Both of these albums bring out the best in KANSAS. As for the songs, I really love the original long version of "Carry On Wayward Son," The Wall," "Magnum Opus," "It Takes A Woman's Love To Make a Man," "Two Cents Worth," "Icarus (Borne On Wings Of Steel)," "All The World," "Child Of Innocence" "Point Of No Return" and "Dust In the Wind" to name a few. Steve Walsh's voice would become the band's spokesperson and messenger throughout the band's career giving the band the vital vocal ingredient needed for their sound. Great thread, ROCK ON!

I saw them at a free concert at a local park 2 years ago, and thought they put on a very good show - with none of the sound problems that every other show of this type always seems to have. I think they had 3 original members - the guitarist is definitely under-rated. The bassist was new, but also quite good. They did great versions of "Portrait" and " Miracles out of Nowhere".

I saw them at a free concert at a local park 2 years ago, and thought they put on a very good show - with none of the sound problems that every other show of this type always seems to have. I think they had 3 original members - the guitarist is definitely under-rated. The bassist was new, but also quite good. They did great versions of "Portrait" and " Miracles out of Nowhere".

Bassist Billy Greer is hardly new; he's been with Kansas for nearly 25 years, and his vocal contributions to the group's live shows are immense.

Kansas is one of my favorite bands of all time, and without doubt one of the best bands to come out of the American prog rock scene.

;^)

It took me awhile to get into their UK-style prog mixed with Southern boogie, but now I absolutely love Kansas. Leftoverture and Point of Know Return get the most attention, but I think Masque and s/t debut albums are just as awesome.

Funny thing about their big hit Carry On Wayward Son... it's a little misleading to new fans because the song is not truly representative of their basic style. It's much more heavily guitar-driven than their usual sound.

I don't know, when the Kansaseseses of the world started infiltrating the airwaves I just retreated a little more into my musical coffin.

I find Kansas and Jethro Tull comparable in many facets, and would even give an edge to Kansas on vocals and keyboard. I'd even say their lyrics were more refined and intriguing?

• 8 years later...
On 2/5/2009 at 8:53 PM, Cletus said:

What say all of you?.

Agreed on all counts.  Walsh was amazing in his prime.  I like their rock stuff in addition to the prog rock tracks you listed.

On the first album you have Can I Tell You, Bringing it Back, and Belexes (which sounds alot like classic Deep Purple), and another prog rock epic Apercu.

On Masque  there is the amazing Icarus and also Mysteries and Mayhem - fantastic stuff.

Song for America has Down the Road, a great boogie rocker.  

Then there is The Wall on Leftoverture.  Such a wonderful track.  Those vocals.

If you don't have the reissue of the live album "Two for the Show" it is well worth it.  The original one CD version was great but the expanded and remastered 30th anniversary edition has alot of other great tracks including Down the Road and Bringing it back.

Kansas could really rock out, the fiddle was an amazing edition (Robbie is so talented on fiddle) and they had great vocals with Steve and Robbie.

• 3 years later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 10 months later...