The Monkees Thread

Horrorshow_Plant

For all lovers of Davy Jones, Peter Tork, Micky Dolenz and Mike Nesmith, this is the place to be! Post your favorite Monkees videos, remenisce about the TV show, post your reviews of the movie Head, or talk about how cute Davy is....it's up to you!

YES, there is a connection between The Monkees and Led Zeppelin, well Jimmy Page anyway.

Sometime between Oct 24-26 1966 The Yardbirds recorded an appearance on the Milton Berle show. Afterward, they visited The Monkees on the set of their television program at either Columbia Studios or Screen Gems Studio 7 (name may have changed since then) in Hollywood.

Ah yes, The Monkees....I'm getting flashbacks from grade school now. :) Top 3 favorite "singing groups" from that time -- The Beatles, Paul Revere & The Raiders, and The Monkees.

Top 2 favorite TV programs were The Man From U.N.C.L.E. and The Monkees.

They make both lists so I reckon they ain't too bad, haaa.

I saw them when I was 8 years old. Greatest night of my life. haha. I was freaking the hell out... "OHMYGODTHAT'SDAVYJONES!" I remember watching them around the time of the 30th anniversary with my mom, since she liked them when she was a kid, and I immediately fell in love. Seriously, first band I really loved. I used to beg her to take me to my grandparents' house so we could listen to her Monkees records on vinyl. :D A vinyl snob from an early age...

My dad has a copy of the Monkees' greatest hits on vinyl, which I listened to yesterday. All the great songs! Here are my three favorites:

1. Monkee's Theme

2. Daydream Believer

3. (I'm Not Your) Steppin' Stone

I got into these guys a few days ago by watching a bunch of old episodes from their TV show On Demand. Boy, were they funny! (And cute.) My current favorite episode is "The Spy That Came in From the Cool," where the Monkees get involved in espionage!

They were inescapable in my household growing up whether it be the TV show or one of my older brothers' playing their albums. One of my favorite bands of all time? No, not really but I do have an appreciation for them. Then again, I also have a deep appreciation for The Banana Splits. One of the truly amazing things to me is the legacy The Monkees left and the impact they had on music, all totally unforeseen at the time. Then there's Michael Nesmith being credited with being one of the pioneers of country rock during the post-Monkees era of his career. With his Elephant Parts television special he's also been credited with being one of the pioneers of the visual arts medium when applied to music. Pretty amazing accomplishments for the guy known as The Monkee that always wore a toboggan (the knit cap, not the sled).

From his Dr. Duck's Super Secret All-Purpose Sauce special first shown in 1987 here's a clip he did with Jimmy Buffett for Buffett's song La Vie Dansante. Some of the special effects may seem kind of silly now but believe you me they were considered "cutting edge" back then:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=TLvaszLmes4

Edited by Jahfin

I love them :lol::lol: Totally campy but I don't care. They're fun to listen and sing along to. Although Micky was my favorite, I'm more drawn to some of the darker songs from Mike Nesmith such as Love Is Only Sleeping and The Door Into Summer but I'm just as happy belting out Mary Mary, She etc. (i'm sure my neighbors aren't).

I actually saw them minus Nesmith several years ago :ph34r::lol:

Really? How were they, ninelives? I've heard Monkees shows are a lot of fun!

Total blast. Musically they sounded great but it was very campy. The crowd was quite er, interesting too. There were women with their faces painted, signs that said "I love you Davy" and many of them were carrying around stuffed monkees :hysterical:

My favorite episode was the one where they went to Paris

:D

I used to watch The Monkees all the time on MuchMoreMusic, but they don't show it anymore. :'( My favourite was always Micky. I met him once at the Hard Rock Cafe in Toronto, he was in town doing a play!

They used to rerun them here too on some of the local stations, but it's been years. A friend of mine had the box set and we sat through the whole thing once :blink: Micky was my favorite too. I met him once years ago too. He's very nice. Did you see the play?

Yeah, it's weird. No channels show the Monkees anymore, and On Demand has suddenly stopped letting me watch the episodes! *sad sigh* So when my mom gets home tonight, she's going to look and see if any place has the box set.

I didn't think it was out on DVD actually.

They used to rerun them here too on some of the local stations, but it's been years. A friend of mine had the box set and we sat through the whole thing once :blink: Micky was my favorite too. I met him once years ago too. He's very nice. Did you see the play?

He is very nice! No, I didn't see the play. But I really wish some stations around here would start playing The Monkees again, I haven't seen an episode in soo long! :o