The Monkees Thread

Horrorshow_Plant

Head is genius.

At one point they were toying with the idea of making a sequel, with the tagline "From the people who gave you Head."

Loved them way back when. When I was a kid in the mid 70s I would actually try and snyc up the songs on my record player with the ones on the show while they were playing. Drove my dad NUTS!

Fave songs would be

"Can You Dig It?"

"The Porpoise Song"

"Your Auntie Grizelda"

"Pleasant Valley Sunday"

"Mary Mary"

"The Girl I Knew Somewhere"

"Sometime In The Morning"

The Monkees. Loved 'em!

I used to watch their show on MTV in the 80's. I had a crush on Davey. My dad made me a tape of all Monkees songs. I loved "Daydream Believer" and "I'm a Beliver." Oh yeah---love "Last Train to Clarksville," And I must go, oh, no, no, no! Oh, no, no, no! I used to listen to them at work when I worked in at Fred Meyer--they played oldies in the early morning because all the old men and ladies would shop in the early morning.

"Peter percival patterson had a pet pig named porky

This pet pig named porky loved pie

He loved pizza pie, pumpkin pie, pineapple pie, pizza pie, mints tarts

And peter percival pattersons pet pig porky loved

Pie for breakefast, pie for lunch, pie in the afternoon and pie before he

Went to bed.

Peter percival pattersons pet pig porky ate soo much pie,

Do you know what he did?

He popped. "

Genius. :hysterical:

I haven't seen anything of their TV show, but I love (I'm not your) Steppin' Stone and Mary Mary. Steppin' Stone were covered by a British band named Flies, which was a much slower and heavier version then Monkees original version. I love both versions though!

"Mr. Dobalina, Mr. Bob Dobalina. Mr Dobalina, Mr Bob Dobalina"

"China Clipper calling Alemeda, China Clipper calling Alemeda"

"Nevermind the furthermore, the plea for self defense. Nevermind the furthermore, the plea for self defense"

"It is of my opinion the people are attending. It is of my opinion, the people are attending"

"Nevermind the furthermore, the plea for self defense. Nevermind the furthermore, the plea for self defense"

"It is of my opinion the people are attending. It is of my opinion, the people are attending"

Eh....thanks for that...I think.... :blink:

*switches into broken-record mode* :D

Huh?

• 2 years later...

monk.jpg

Monkees in talks for 2011 reunion

By WENN.COM

http://jam.canoe.ca/Music/2010/10/07/pf-15612111.html

Singer Davy Jones has announced plans to reform The Monkees, just a year after ruling out a reunion with his bandmates.

The group, who found fame in the 1960s, last performed together in 1997 but in an interview last year, Jones claimed a Monkees show would never happen again.

He said, "It's not a case of dollars and cents. It's a case of satisfying yourself. I don't have anything to prove. The Monkees proved it for me."

However, the singer appears to have had a change of heart. The band is considering a string of concerts in 2011.

Jones says, "We're talking about doing a tour next year with The Monkees. There's talk about a show with dialogue."

But the 64 year old is urging his bandmates to shape up before they hit the stage again: "My thing is I just don't want to get on stage with a bunch of old guys."

Just picked up the "Best Of" CD for four bucks. The Monkees were huge back then. They had their own jet, just like Zep! As for the Monkeemobile, the last time I saw it was in '76 or so at 'Cars of the Stars' in Buena Park. They had a bunch of cool cars, like the Munsters and stuff.

Edited by badgeholder

Seems like I heard or read something about this recently...Nesmith wants no part of it if I'm not mistaken. For that matter, has he ever taken part in any of these reunions?

Yes he has, at the Greek in LA about ten(?) years ago or so, I remember it was a big deal. He had a great time too, if I recall

Yes he has, at the Greek in LA about ten(?) years ago or so, I remember it was a big deal. He had a great time too, if I recall

Thanks, if Nesmith was involved that might actually interest me in seeing them. I've heard nothing but great things about his solo work over the years but have never looked into it. Apparently, he is considered by many to be one of the pioneers of "country rock" due to his early solo material.

YES, there is a connection between The Monkees and Led Zeppelin, well Jimmy Page anyway.

Sometime between Oct 24-26 1966 The Yardbirds recorded an appearance on the Milton Berle show. Afterward, they visited The Monkees on the set of their television program at either Columbia Studios or Screen Gems Studio 7 (name may have changed since then) in Hollywood.

....no pictures, I wish....

Love the Monkeys, memories, all very new to me circa late '74/75, there were reruns after school, I couldn't wait to get home, even though their jokes I didn't quite understand, I just loved their facial expressions....age of innocence, I can still see my self running home in somewhat dimmed sunlight to catch the Monkeys!!!

• 4 months later...

monk.jpg

Monkees in talks for 2011 reunion

By WENN.COM

http://jam.canoe.ca/Music/2010/10/07/pf-15612111.html

Singer Davy Jones has announced plans to reform The Monkees, just a year after ruling out a reunion with his bandmates.

The group, who found fame in the 1960s, last performed together in 1997 but in an interview last year, Jones claimed a Monkees show would never happen again.

He said, "It's not a case of dollars and cents. It's a case of satisfying yourself. I don't have anything to prove. The Monkees proved it for me."

However, the singer appears to have had a change of heart. The band is considering a string of concerts in 2011.

Jones says, "We're talking about doing a tour next year with The Monkees. There's talk about a show with dialogue."

But the 64 year old is urging his bandmates to shape up before they hit the stage again: "My thing is I just don't want to get on stage with a bunch of old guys."

I guess Davy's 30-something year old bride has "rejuvenated" him!! LOL!

I've seen the Monkees 3 times in concert over the last 20+ years. All 3 concerts were great and everyone had so much fun.