The Monkees Thread

Horrorshow_Plant

I loved The Monkees string of Top 40 hits.

Can a Monkees fan tell me if on this video they are really playing the instruments?

Because from memory, they did not play on the first few records but employed session players?

Well, either way this is a great song and wow, Mickey sings lead! :).............missy

Seems like I heard or read something about this recently...Nesmith wants no part of it if I'm not mistaken. For that matter, has he ever taken part in any of these reunions?

Papa Nez surprised them onstage in 1986 and joined them in "Listen to the Band" at their concert in Los Angeles.

After the four of them did the TV movie in early 1997 that aired on ABC, he joined them on a UK tour and when there was talk of a US tour, he bailed.

They are literally like family and have a real love/hate relationship like brothers, so when there is talk of in-fighting, none of the fans bother to be concerned about it, really.

Seems like I heard or read something about this recently...Nesmith wants no part of it if I'm not mistaken. For that matter, has he ever taken part in any of these reunions?

Mike has been involved in his own projects (music and film). He is independently wealthy and can pick and choose where, when and with whom he wants to play. I just saw him last month play a short gig (acoustic set) in Austin (not far from the Lucky Lounge). He made no mention of reuniting with any of the Monkees and I think he has distanced himself from them.

They are literally like family and have a real love/hate relationship like brothers, so when there is talk of in-fighting, none of the fans bother to be concerned about it, really.

We hear that this is also true of Page and Plant--would that their fans responded the same way!

Mike has been involved in his own projects (music and film). He is independently wealthy and can pick and choose where, when and with whom he wants to play. I just saw him last month play a short gig (acoustic set) in Austin (not far from the Lucky Lounge). He made no mention of reuniting with any of the Monkees and I think he has distanced himself from them.

I may be totally misremembering this, but didn't one of his parents (his mother?) invent White-out? I seem to remember he was independently wealthy even back in the Monkees' first incarnation.

We hear that this is also true of Page and Plant--would that their fans responded the same way!

I may be totally misremembering this, but didn't one of his parents (his mother?) invent White-out? I seem to remember he was independently wealthy even back in the Monkees' first incarnation.

Although Mike's mother, as the inventor of Liquid Paper, ultimately became very wealthy, during Mike's years with the Monkees her business was just beginning to become successful. She made her fortune when she sold her own company to a large corporation (P&G?) in the late 1970s. It was only after her death (very early 1980s, I think) that Mike inherited half her fortune - she left the other half to various philanthropic organizations. Mike is also very involved in philanthropy and has been a supporter of the arts (including film).

Edited by MadScreamingGallery

• 1 month later...

YES, there is a connection between The Monkees and Led Zeppelin, well Jimmy Page anyway.

Sometime between Oct 24-26 1966 The Yardbirds recorded an appearance on the Milton Berle show. Afterward, they visited The Monkees on the set of their television program at either Columbia Studios or Screen Gems Studio 7 (name may have changed since then) in Hollywood.

Zeppelin's "Starship" was originally The Monkees tour plane.

http://en.allexperts.com/q/Led-Zeppelin-501/transportation.htm

Also, ran across this freakin' hilarious Monkees message forum! :lol: Check it out! http://psychojello.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=talk

^ ^ ^

Me neither. Catchy is catchy...even if it is in service to a TV show.

Last Train to Clarksville, Stepping Stone still sound great to this day. And the Monkees Theme Song is one of the best tv theme songs of all time.

Plus, they were involved with one of the coolest and freakiest films to come out of the 60's: HEAD. Rent it...netflix it...whatever you have to...just see it.

I was fortunate to see the Monkees both times that Michael Nesmith was involved...wouldn't see them without him as Nesmith was my favourite Monkee growing up watching the show.

Yes, Jahfin, Michael Nesmith does deserve a little credit for being one of the early country-rock proponents.

And Aquamarine, you saw the Monkees in the 60's?!? WOW! Was it the tour with Jimi Hendrix opening?

Edited by Strider

I like that song aswell mate its a wicked song

I prefer Paul Revere & the Raiders version of "(I'm Not Your) Steppin' Stone". The Raiders were the first to record the song and it appeared on their 1966 album Midnight Ride.

The Shadows Of Knight did a version of "Tomorrow's Going to Be Another Day" on their Back Door Men album in 1966. The Shadows version is in the style and sounds like John Mayall's "Room To Move" right down to the harp.

Let us not forget who wrote these songs.

Tommy Boyce and Bobby Hart -

"Last Train to Clarksville" -

"Steppin' Stone"

Neil Diamond - "I'm a believer"

Gerry Goffin and Carole King - "Pleasant Valley Sunday"

Neil Diamond also wrote A Little Bit Me, A Little Bit You. Tommy Boyce and Bobby Hart wrote Valleri as well. Also as a side note, Boyce & Hart had a hit single with "I Wonder What She's Doing Tonight". They also had hit songs for other artists as well (Come A Little Bit Closer, Hurt So Bad).

And Aquamarine, you saw the Monkees in the 60's?!? WOW! Was it the tour with Jimi Hendrix opening?

People always ask me that, and I can't remember for the life of me who opened (I remember the venue, it was the Wembley Empire Pool, long gone)--I'd have remembered if it had been Hendrix, though, because I had tickets to see him another time and then I got the chicken pox and couldn't go. :boohoo:

Edit--nope, Hendrix was apparently in Miami that day.

Edited by Aquamarine

• 10 months later...