Baton Rouge 2/28/75

ZepFanatic

Once the soundboard is out I expect the eventual matrix of the board and Freezer's recording should be fantastic. That said, IMO I'm sure the AUD recording will kick the raw SBD's ass- Freezer was a master taper; I prefer his stuff even to Millard's. I probably have more of his tapes in my collection than any other taper, starting with my first bootleg LP of the Stones in Baton Rouge '75, back in 1986 or so...

I wonder if we'll be able to hear Freezer's whistle blasts on the SBD tapes... :P

Once the soundboard is out I expect the eventual matrix of the board and Freezer's recording should be fantastic. That said, IMO I'm sure the AUD recording will kick the raw SBD's ass- Freezer was a master taper; I prefer his stuff even to Millard's. I probably have more of his tapes in my collection than any other taper, starting with my first bootleg LP of the Stones in Baton Rouge '75, back in 1986 or so...

I wonder if we'll be able to hear Freezer's whistle blasts on the SBD tapes... :P

sorry if i seem out of the loop but i was wondering who Freezer was and what shows he taped. the 1975 baton rouge show sounds so great, I'd love to hear other shows that he taped.

sorry if i seem out of the loop but i was wondering who Freezer was and what shows he taped. the 1975 baton rouge show sounds so great, I'd love to hear other shows that he taped.

Freezer is the moniker of a taper from Louisiana who has been taping artists for decades. He is a very colorful fella, and I will refrain from stating his actual name for his privacy. He taped Led Zeppelin 4 times:

1971.08.29 - Municipal Auditorium, New Orleans, Louisiana

1973.05.14 - Auditorium, New Orleans, Louisiana

1975.02.28 - Louisiana State University, Baton Rouge, Louisiana

1977.05.19 - Louisiana State University Assembly Centre, Baton Rouge, Louisiana

The 1973 and 1975 recordings circulate amongst the trading circles. The 1971 and 1977 recordings are closely guarded and will only be traded if someone has something he really wants (which right now is a SBD of a Doors performance thought to exist, but not seen the light of day).

I have a few of his recordings, but other than the Stones, I would have to go through my lists to tell which ones I have.

Freezer is the moniker of a taper from Louisiana who has been taping artists for decades. He is a very colorful fella, and I will refrain from stating his actual name for his privacy. He taped Led Zeppelin 4 times:

The 1973 and 1975 recordings circulate amongst the trading circles. The 1971 and 1977 recordings are closely guarded and will only be traded if someone has something he really wants (which right now is a SBD of a Doors performance thought to exist, but not seen the light of day).

I have a few of his recordings, but other than the Stones, I would have to go through my lists to tell which ones I have.

wow would love to get my hands on the new orleans 71 show.....but i guess with hoarders like this guy it will take forever.....such a shame.

Gimme gimme gimme, no one is ever happy. Well, the hoarder did circulate two of them.

:P Indeed...I love it when people call Freezer a hoarder. If he's such a hoarder, how come I've got something like twenty or so of his recordings? Considering how certain Led Zeppelin collectors have fucked the dude over over the years (I'm sure some of you know the stories as well as I do), I can't fault him one iota withholding his '71 and '77 Zep tapes. That said, I am about 99.9% certain he has given out a copy or two of at least the '77 show, but, hey...if you were given a copy of something directly from the taper with strict instructions to keep it to yourself, well, you'd honour that agreement, wouldn't you?

In a way it's kind of a shame that the impending release of the SBD of the '75 Baton Rouge show essentially makes the years-long debate over the lineage of Freezer's AUD recording a moot point for most collectors...that debate has a fair bit to do with why the '71 and '77 recordings (among other, non-Zep Freezer recordings) are still being 'hoarded', lest we forget...

:P Indeed...I love it when people call Freezer a hoarder. If he's such a hoarder, how come I've got something like twenty or so of his recordings? Considering how certain Led Zeppelin collectors have fucked the dude over over the years (I'm sure some of you know the stories as well as I do), I can't fault him one iota withholding his '71 and '77 Zep tapes. That said, I am about 99.9% certain he has given out a copy or two of at least the '77 show, but, hey...if you were given a copy of something directly from the taper with strict instructions to keep it to yourself, well, you'd honour that agreement, wouldn't you?

In a way it's kind of a shame that the impending release of the SBD of the '75 Baton Rouge show essentially makes the years-long debate over the lineage of Freezer's AUD recording a moot point for most collectors...that debate has a fair bit to do with why the '71 and '77 recordings (among other, non-Zep Freezer recordings) are still being 'hoarded', lest we forget...

Seems it's cool to have things in private collections unless it is a bootleg recording. I regret mentioning the other two tapes, and certainly won't go into what else is known to be out there.

I think you are right about the '77 tape. Seems he gave a copy to some of the mods at the den of traders before a certain someone opened his mouth about it.

Anyway, back on topic - I look forward to this upcoming release, and I am sure there will be some remasters and matrices to follow.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry, but Baton Rouge doesn't hold a candle to St. Valentine's. The latter is overall a superior performance, especially by Page.

There are some high points w/Baton Rouge, but after a thorough listen, ST. Valentine's gets the nod for a better performance, overall. Not sure I'd keep Baton Rouge around for much. There are more inspired '75 performances worth listening to...

Sorry, but Baton Rouge doesn't hold a candle to St. Valentine's. The latter is overall a superior performance, especially by Page.

There are some high points w/Baton Rouge, but after a thorough listen, ST. Valentine's gets the nod for a better performance, overall. Not sure I'd keep Baton Rouge around for much. There are more inspired '75 performances worth listening to...

I agree, it's not the best, but the sound is great

I have two recordings that he did of The Who too:

11-21-75 Baton Rouge (Very similar in sound quality to his Led Zep '75 Baton Rouge recording).

7-7-80 Baton Rouge (again, another very good sounding recording).

I have two recordings that he did of The Who too:

11-21-75 Baton Rouge (Very similar in sound quality to his Led Zep '75 Baton Rouge recording).

7-7-80 Baton Rouge (again, another very good sounding recording).

Yeah, that 1975 'Oo show is a good one...his 1971 NOLA Allman Bros recording is by far one of the best I've heard for that era. I've never heard a bad sounding Freezer recording, even the ridiculously genned-up ones. It indeed pisses me off to no end how Freezer is among the last of a dying breed of old-school tapers and people who aren't even fit to rewind his tapes insist on shitting all over the guy, calling Freezer a 'hoarder', etc, undoubtedly while one of his recordings plays in the background! I mean, from what I've read over at the Den, etc, this current atrocity being passed off as a 'matrix' of the new Baton Rouge '75 SBD recording with a crappy version of the audience tape by Derek McCabe and the MOTB crowd was deliberately badly done just to annoy Freezer, whom McCabe has personal issues with. And the matrix does sound like shit- all swimmy and flanging, really crappy sound. Fucking amateur hour.

The raw SBD of this show is good, but the audience tape is still the be all, end all for this collector. Avoid the MOTB sanctioned matrix at all costs!

Yeah, that 1975 'Oo show is a good one...his 1971 NOLA Allman Bros recording is by far one of the best I've heard for that era. I've never heard a bad sounding Freezer recording, even the ridiculously genned-up ones. It indeed pisses me off to no end how Freezer is among the last of a dying breed of old-school tapers and people who aren't even fit to rewind his tapes insist on shitting all over the guy, calling Freezer a 'hoarder', etc, undoubtedly while one of his recordings plays in the background! I mean, from what I've read over at the Den, etc, this current atrocity being passed off as a 'matrix' of the new Baton Rouge '75 SBD recording with a crappy version of the audience tape by Derek McCabe and the MOTB crowd was deliberately badly done just to annoy Freezer, whom McCabe has personal issues with. And the matrix does sound like shit- all swimmy and flanging, really crappy sound. Fucking amateur hour.

The raw SBD of this show is good, but the audience tape is still the be all, end all for this collector. Avoid the MOTB sanctioned matrix at all costs!

I agree 100 percent, Nutrocker. I haven't heard a bad "Freezer" recording yet. His '75 Zep & Who recordings are

right up there with the best of them, as far as audience recorded shows go (and I don't mean the Who recording

that was offered at LLR either, I'm talking about a low gen. one).

• 1 month later...

I was at the '77 BR show...

Zep came on about 9 - traffic from a bad accident.

Show ended at 12:30. I was 6 feet from the stage - deaf for the entire next day.

Plant said right after they played Going to California: "It's kinda hard to stand on a mountain of dreams when there's all those little green things flying at you"... (referring to those green light-sticks which were prominent at the time).

Just out of curiosity, does anyone know what the story is behind the master tape of this show? Like, where was it these last 35 years before it surfaced, and what caused it to surface when it did?

Just out of curiosity, does anyone know what the story is behind the master tape of this show? Like, where was it these last 35 years before it surfaced, and what caused it to surface when it did?

Do you mean the soundboard or the audience recording? Well, the master of the audience recording is definitely NOT in circulation...a version was just shared online purporting to be a "12th Gen" tape (previously Freezer stated that the bootlegs used something like 15th generation..., and it is indeed the finest sounding version of the audience source thus far. Puts all the bootlegs to shame, IMO. Including the soundboard.

Considering the flood of 1975 soundboards we've seen the last couple of years, I wouldn't be surprised if the whole fucking tour exists in soundboard format...the bootleggers let 'em out one at a time 'cos you don't want to flood the market. Over the years I've heard stories that these '75 SBD tapes came directly from a SHOWCO employee, or even from Page's own stash that was stolen back in the 80's. Who knows for sure...chances are we probably won't ever know the whole story.

Then again, I'm probably in the minority of Zep collectors not to get worked up about this "Soundboard Revolution". I prefer audience tapes...even the crappy ones! :P

• 2 years later...

Archived