Second Album started on Feb. 13

Vega

Nope, Im not a banned oldie, but Im sure some here wish I already were, or are working hard to do so. I'm just a fan of Led Zeppelin. I really shouldnt get to worked up over this forum. Led Zeppelin already has secured its place in music history. Anything that bob plant did or will do musically can never compare, thats simply a fact. Actually Im probably more cheesed off at Jimmy Page for sitting back and letting this guy take the spotlight for so many years while in fact he is the mastermind of it all (or most of it).

Zero88

Your posts sound really familiar - like someone who was here and banned. I just can't think who. But the same circular arguments - I like Plant but... :rolleyes:

Anyways, it's simply not true that Robert used Zep or Page to further his own agenda. How can you say that when he decided to venture out on his own, he completely separated himself from the past in order to start over? He can't erase the fact he was in the band and they were so successful.

The Honeydrippers was done out of a love for that music and a bond he shared with the late Ahmet Ertegun who produced it. There was no motivation behind it. The fact it was successful was a surprise.

I don't think Robert is a God or any musician for that matter. I love what he's done post Zep and have a lot of respect for him not resting on his laurels. That doesn't mean I think the man is infallible because he's not.

Nope, Im not a banned oldie, but Im sure some here wish I already were, or are working hard to do so. I'm just a fan of Led Zeppelin. I really shouldnt get to worked up over this forum. Led Zeppelin already has secured its place in music history. Anything that bob plant did or will do musically can never compare, thats simply a fact. Actually Im probably more cheesed off at Jimmy Page for sitting back and letting this guy take the spotlight for so many years while in fact he is the mastermind of it all (or most of it).

Zero88

No one's comparing him to his work in Zep, especially him. That was then, this is now. He's evolving and changing. Nothing wrong with that. You're a Zep fan that seems to enjoy taking the piss out of Robert :blink:

Zero88

Jimmy Page will be in the spotlight tomorrow evening. Are you planning to watch him induct Jeff Beck into the Rock Hall of Fame? It will be on the FUSE network, live. I doubt that Plant's name will even come up, so it should be an enjoyable evening for you.

I really shouldnt get to worked up over this forum.

Zero88

...Zero88, No you shouldn't...so many other artists have gone solo...I remember when Sting chose to leave the Police at height of their success....I know it does appears as though the Solo Artist is experiencing their artistic career at the expense of their original fans, but if you really think in depth about being "artistic"....it is a different and right/just story for all the right reasons....Jimmy/Robert's successes or non-successes are not to be blamed on each other...They are in a very privileged position in life...they both make decisions that are just to them/their circumstances....

and I do hope you will focus on enjoying the HOF ceremonies....Jimmy/Jeff's friendship will be celebrated despite their differences........ :D :D

Good post! And it brought home good points. But I will say that there is a bit of difference between Sting going solo from the Police and Plants motivation for doing so from Led Zeppelins.

Zero88

...Zero88, No you shouldn't...so many other artists have gone solo...I remember when Sting chose to leave the Police at height of their success....I know it does appears as though the Solo Artist is experiencing their artistic career at the expense of their original fans, but if you really think in depth about being "artistic"....it is a different and right/just story for all the right reasons....Jimmy/Robert's successes or non-successes are not to be blamed on each other...They are in a very privileged position in life...they both make decisions that are just to them/their circumstances....

and I do hope you will focus on enjoying the HOF ceremonies....Jimmy/Jeff's friendship will be celebrated despite their differences........ :D :D

Good post! And it brought home good points. But I will say that there is a bit of difference between Sting going solo from the Police and Plants motivation for doing so from Led Zeppelins.

Zero88

What motivation. The remaining members of Zep mutually decided to end Zep as a band. What was Robert supposed to do - sit around and do nothing? He carried on and so did Jimmy in case you forgot.

Would Plant have left Led Zeppelin at its peak for artistic reasons and not because John Bonham died? Sting left the Police when they were one of the biggest acts in the world. Clapton did the same with Cream. It was trully for artistic reasons they left those groups. And they TRULLY left them. Sting did stuff on his solo material that was really different from what the police did, as did Clapton. Plants first two solo efforts were basically watered down zeppelin.

Zero88

Zero88

Would Plant have left Led Zeppelin at its peak for artistic reasons and not because John Bonham died? Sting left the Police when they were one of the biggest acts in the world. Clapton did the same with Cream. It was trully for artistic reasons they left those groups. And they TRULLY left them. Sting did stuff on his solo material that was really different from what the police did, as did Clapton. Plants first two solo efforts were basically watered down zeppelin.

Zero88

Now he is wrong because he didn't left Zeppelin at its peak?

:blink:

(And I have no doubt if he had ever done this some so-called fans here would thrash him to death.)

And your opinion is your opinion, please, don't state it as fact.

Zero88

How can we know that since it's not what happened and speculation is moot. And if Robert had - then what. His fans would have been pissed at him for that too. How do you know they truly left those groups for artistic reasons? Did you speak to them about this personally?

Plant's first two solo efforts were so NOT watered down Zep :slapface:

How can we know that since it's not what happened and speculation is moot. And if Robert had - then what. His fans would have been pissed at him for that too. How do you know they truly left those groups for artistic reasons? Did you speak to them about this personally?

Plant's first two solo efforts were so NOT watered down Zep :slapface:

IMO they were far from zep, probably intentionally.

I believe I heard that his first one or two post-zep tours he played no zeppelin songs in concert. That is admirable beyond.

IMO they were far from zep, probably intentionally.

I believe I heard that his first one or two post-zep tours he played no zeppelin songs in concert. That is admirable beyond.

Yes, it was later Phil Johnstone who talked him into doing Zep songs again on the Now and Zen tour.

Archived