5 books everyone must read before they die

Electrophile

My personal short list. Hard to narrow down to five only. And most I've read already, and would like to read again.

1. Gone with the wind

2. Edgar Allen Poe collections of poems and tales.

3. Harry Potter Series, need to finish, have yet to do so.

4. A Lesson Before Dying, by Ernest Gaines

5. The Crucible, although a play.

• 5 years later...

Dune by Frank Herbert

The Godfather by Mario Puzo

The Bourne Identity by Robert Ludlum
Saga of Pliocene Exile by Julian May (OK, I kinda cheated on this one - it's a 4-book set, but oh, so awesome.)
Portnoy's Complaint by Philip Roth

(1) Theory of Money and Credit 1912 by Ludwig von Mises

(2) The Black Book of Communism: Crimes, Terror, and Repression 1997 by Stephane Courtois

(3) Anarchy, State, and Utopia 1974 by Robert Nozick

(4) The Virtue of Selfishness: A New Concept of Egoism 1964 by Ayn Rand

(5) Capitalism and Freedom 1962 by Milton Friendman

I have read Gone with the Wind many years ago. Make it through the first hundred pages and you cant put it down. A legend. Someone told me at a restaurant the other night "The Life of Pi" is the best book she ever read and she is one of those kindle, 5 books a month readers?

I have read Gone with the Wind many years ago. Make it through the first hundred pages and you cant put it down. A legend. Someone told me at a restaurant the other night "The Life of Pi" is the best book she ever read and she is one of those kindle, 5 books a month readers?

I've never read Gone With the Wind -- wish I had -- I like the movie, though.

I've never read Gone With the Wind -- wish I had -- I like the movie, though.

I read the book before I saw the movie, always an advantage. Books are usually more fulfilling because you have your won imagination to run wild with what a character looks like and such. I think Gone With the Wind is one of the true all time classics for sure. Its on most people's must read list. Its over 1100 pages just so you know. The first hundred or so are tough to get through but then its just magic. So once the internet came along my reading sort of went south. I do not know if I can really put a list together but I will try

Gone With the Wind

War of the Worlds

Adventures of Tom Sawyer and Huckleberry Finn

Ty Cobb

Jackie Robinson

Instant Replay

I read the book before I saw the movie, always an advantage. Books are usually more fulfilling because you have your won imagination to run wild with what a character looks like and such. I think Gone With the Wind is one of the true all time classics for sure. Its on most people's must read list. Its over 1100 pages just so you know. The first hundred or so are tough to get through but then its just magic. So once the internet came along my reading sort of went south. I do not know if I can really put a list together but I will try

Gone With the Wind

War of the Worlds

Adventures of Tom Sawyer and Huckleberry Finn

Ty Cobb

Jackie Robinson

Instant Replay

That's a great list. My experience with War And Peace -- which is maybe 1400 pages long -- was similar to yours with Gone With The Wind. Once I made it through the first one hundred pages or so I couldn't put it down.

• 1 year later...

I am not going to pretend. I am not an avid reader. But, when I love a book, I really and truly love it! 

I have already included 3 books in my list, the last time I visited and posted on this thread. I am going to include another title to that list, but this book is special. Even more special than the three that I originally mentioned. 

Had I read Ayn Rand's Anthem in high school, I would have proudly termed it, as one of the books that changed my life for good, considering my personal experiences, at the time.

But as the old saying goes, better late than never! :D I easily place this short, but incredibly thought provoking novel to be among the greatest books that I have ever read. Everything from the plot to the underlying philosophy, struck a chord in me and was nothing short of inspiring. 

I cannot wait to dig into We The Living and The Fountainhead, next. :) 

On 2/20/2009 at 2:02 PM, Electrophile said:

I had a very interesting discussion with some friends of mine about the importance of books and how a lot of people don't take voluntary reading very seriously once they're out of school. So we got to talking about the 5 books we thought everyone must read once before they die. This was my list:

Flowers for Algernon

The Razor's Edge

Gravity's Rainbow

The Road

What do you guys think? You don't necessarily have to choose books, some of you may think plays or short stories are essential as well. I'm curious to see what you come up with because a lot of you strike me as being very well-read.

I own 1984, Flowers for Algernon, and The Road.  I have yet to read Cormack McCarthy's novel.  I'll have to look into the other two. 

I tend to like militaria along with literature.

Strong Men Armed----Robert Leckie

Tarawa-----Robert Sherrod

Guadalcanal Diary-----Richard Tregaskis

Brave Men-------Ernie Pyle

100 Best True Stories Of WW2------Various writers

• 8 months later...
51 minutes ago, kipper said:

The Catcher in the Rye

Zen and the art of motercycle maintenence

The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn

Slaughterhouse 5

Ivanhoe

Jesus Kip, those are excellent reads all of them. Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance changed my life in HS. I gifted a copy to my 21 year old step-son for Christmas.

Some of my other favorites:

Mists of Avalon

Nine Faces of Christ

The Apocryphal Book of Thomas

The Grapes of Wrath

The Prophet

I would have put down The Satanic Bible just to be outrageous but that book sucks. I read that and the Necronomicon in HS and both sucked, boring and nonsensical for the later and just boring, rehashed secular humanism for the hedonistic in regard to the former. Oh, and Mein Kampf...that was one of the worse books I ever read. Boring, rambling, contradictory, and a complete mess in general. Hitler really needed a good editor but then again, they likely would have told him the whole book sucked so, there is that.

18 hours ago, IpMan said:

Jesus Kip, those are excellent reads all of them. Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance changed my life in HS. I gifted a copy to my 21 year old step-son for Christmas.

thank you ipman for the compliment. I used to read all the time I need to get back into the habit.

when I was in high school I had a wonderful English literature teacher. She was at that point in her 60s and had the most beautiful way about her and was enthusiastic about getting students to read. She would mix classic novels with newer novels that many would call controversial. now to many schools ban certain books like Huckleberry Finn and Cather in the Rye. No wonder kids today are messed up.

Archived