Old Interview with Jimmy Page

shiela

• 3 weeks later...

"Crowley didn´t have a high opinion of women, and I don't think he was wrong".

I believe Page refers here to the sexual aspect of women in general society, at least Western society (as Crowley believed), wich was severely repressed at the time. "Women fails in expressing her sexuality at full range, without restriction and shame", that is what I think he was saying. Don't forget Crowley came form a Victorian age in England, where sexual repression and Christian dogma and morals was the order of the day, and through his religion Thelema (based strongly in the sacralization of sexuality and a belief in the power of the Goddess) he believed in the occult powers of sexuality (Tantra Yoga). He called such techniques "sexual magick", and is based in the awakening of Kundalini (the serpent of fire), the so called subtle-energy that lies "within" the base of the human spine, a then "shockingly new" and yet very archaic teaching in old Indian texts. Using these sex techniques with extreme discipline and in a ritual context, the adept expands his consciousness, achieving the higher levels, and so being able to obtain paranormal abilities. Here the Third Eye symbolism (The Eye of Horus). That was they believe, anyway. It all comes to the faith in what thelemites calls the True Will, believing that each human being is born to discover his or her own and particular True Will over the course of his life, and pursue that in every aspect of his/her life-journey to accomplish his or her happiness and freedom.

With that in mind. I would like to quote here an old declaration from Sounds magazine (1976), that was quoted by Mick Wall for his own Zeppelin biography, When Giants Walked The Earth. Here Jimmy says:

"I think Crowley is a misundertood genius of the twentieth century. Because his whole thing was the liberation of the person, of the entity, and (how) that restriction would foul you up, leading to frustration, wich leads to violence, crime, mental breakdown, depending on what sort of make-up you have underneath".

"Crowley didn´t have a high opinion of women, and I don't think he was wrong".

I believe Page refers here to the sexual aspect of women in general society, at least Western society (as Crowley believed), wich was severely repressed at the time. "Women fails in expressing her sexuality at full range, without restriction and shame", that is what I think he was saying. Don't forget Crowley came form a Victorian age in England, where sexual repression and Christian dogma and morals was the order of the day, and through his religion Thelema (based strongly in the sacralization of sexuality and a belief in the power of the Goddess) he believed in the occult powers of sexuality (Tantra Yoga). He called such techniques "sexual magick", and is based in the awakening of Kundalini (the serpent of fire), the so called subtle-energy that lies "within" the base of the human spine, a then "shockingly new" and yet very archaic teching in old Indian texts. Using these sex techniques with extreme discipline and in a ritual context, the adept expands his consciousness, achieving the higher levels, and so being able to obtain paranormal abilities. Here the Third Eye symbolism (The Eye of Horus). That was they believe, anyway. It all comes to the faith in what thelemites calls the True Will, believing that each human being is born to discover his own and particular True Will on the course of his life, and pursue that goal in every aspect of his/her life-journey.

With that in mind. I would like to quote here an old declaration from Sounds magazine (1976), that was quoted by Mick Wall for his own Zeppelin biography, When Giants Walked The Earth. Here Jimmy says:

"I think Crowley is a misundertood genius of the twentieth century. Because his whole thing was the liberation of the person, of the entity, and (how) that restriction would foul you up, leading to frustration, wich leads to violence, crime, mental breakdown, depending on what sort of make-up you have underneath".

It's a strange thing from the usual viewpoint of "standard thought", but I think there lies something very deep.

Archived