1975 Robert Plant Interview

SteveAJones

Would love to, but it´s so hard to read, even when I enlarge it. Maybe re-scanning in better resolution would help.

Anyway, I think this article is actually from ´77 since Karac´s death is already mentioned.

Also strange, Robert mentions Jimmy Page listening to live recordings to put out a Live-Lp. Which certainly means TSRTS. So this lines could be from ´75.

The mentioning of Jimmy playing a guitar synth would mean ´78.

Well, what can u expect from a teen-magazine. I´m surpised they covered Led Zeppelin in the late 70ies.

Would love to, but it´s so hard to read, even when I enlarge it. Maybe re-scanning in better resolution would help.

Anyway, I think this article is actually from ´77 since Karac´s death is already mentioned.

Also strange, Robert mentions Jimmy Page listening to live recordings to put out a Live-Lp. Which certainly means TSRTS. So this lines could be from ´75.

The mentioning of Jimmy playing a guitar synth would mean ´78.

Well, what can u expect from a teen-magazine. I´m surpised they covered Led Zeppelin in the late 70ies.

Many thanks for that. The death is mentioned? So much for this being from 1975. I thought I'd read somewhere that Bravo would often reprint UK press stories as if they were their own, but again, being unable to read German I really can't say. I wish we

had LedWolf here.

There you go. And since I´m no professional translator, sorry for my mistakes...

Led Zeppelin! The group´s about to split because of Robert Plant.

Blow of fate let him become a hermit!

It´s hard to find the farm in Wales. Miles from anywhere, hidden behind trees, near a small country road lives Robert Plant with his wife Maureen and his daugther Carmen. The celebrated rock star has become a hermit. His wistful look has nothing to do with the once so lighthearted and happy man with the rock angel face, whose voice made people go crazy around the world. It´s been months since he appeared in public. His favourite spot is a rock from which you can see the sea. When it´s too cold he stays at home, listens to blues records and writes poems. He also thinks about his father who once said: what´s the use of success and fortune when it tears family apart?

"It´s true. It can´t get worse. First there was this severe car accident on Rhodes in the summer of ´75. I broke my ankles. Led Zeppelin had to stop touring for more than one year. My wife who had been in the car with me had to stay in hospital for weeks."

Once he was able to walk again, tours got scheduled. Then another blow of fate! While he was touring the US Robert´s son Karac died of a mysterious bowel infection.

"By then I was thinking about leaving the group. But Jimmy Page kept me from doing it. He said: without me, the band´s nothing. He wanted me to take a break until I feel ready for playing again. I realized that we are more than business partners. We are real friends. WE have enough money to live a life without troubles but nobody knows how long our fans can wait. They might forget us if we don´t play anymore. I don´t want this to happen to the band. Our friends kept calling us every day. They helped us through this."

Robert doesn´t know yet when LZ will hit the stage again.

"I fear leaving my family behind. Something might happen again when I´m not around. Luckily the rest of the group understands that."

In the meantime, Jimmy Page is taking care of the band his own way.

"He built a studio in his house and is now listening on and on to some of our live shows. He picks out the best and mixes them for releasing a live album. He´s writing songs with John Paul Jones. And besides that, he´s fooling around with sound FX. He has got a synthesizer now which can be connected to his guitar. If he´s done with that we will go to a studio to record a new LP."

Robert continues:

"I know I can´t hide from my problems in the long run. But right now I´m not able to play live. Maybe it´ll change in a few months time. I need more time to find psychic balance again."

PHOTOS:

Robert Plant in front of his farm house in Wales. He lives there like a hermit.

Gardening or bike rides - that´s how Robert is distracting himself

Robert and his son Karac whose death changed his life completely

Many thanks for that. The death is mentioned? So much for this being from 1975. I thought I'd read somewhere that Bravo would often reprint UK press stories as if they were their own, but again, being unable to read German I really can't say. I wish we

had LedWolf here.

Can't help you with the interview Steve but those photo's are 75 except for the large one.that's 77. Artical has to be from at least then.

Not a beer to be founda

There you go. And since I´m no professional translator, sorry for my mistakes...

I'd like to publicly commend Jiri for this contribution to the website. Jiri, if my archive

can ever be of any assistance to you please don't hestitate to ask.

In the early stages of grief, one is still trying to come to terms with the loss. Even so,

I found his comments concerning Jimmy to be the most interesting. There's not a trace of bitterness or blame to be found here.

"I realized that we are more than business partners.We are real friends"...Yeah,very interesting because this interview is obviously after the funeral.I suspect that in earlier years,for instance when they were spending time together in Bron-Yr-Aur,Robert would certainly have considered them to be more than just business partners,but by this time,post-funeral, it took some sympathy and support from Jimmy to reassure Robert on this point.

A touchingly open-hearted interview.

Archived