? - Babe I'm Gonna Leave You

On the track, "Babe I'm Gonna Leave You", at around the 1:41 mark, you can hear RP in the background in a faint audible singing "I can hear it calling me...", which sounds kind of erie, yet almost comes across as a over-dub.

My question is...is that intentional or was it a misque?

BTW..."BIGLY" is one of my favorite acoustic pieces by Led Zeppelin. Jimmy's always getting criticized for his "sloppy play" (string buzz, squeaks, alternate picking, etc.), but to me, his guitar playing in this song in particular is what makes the song so appealing as it comes across as a RAW, true-natured recording. Its like you're sitting in the room with them listening to them play live instead of a studio recording. Classic, raw emotion and feeling.

Thanks.

DT

On the track, "Babe I'm Gonna Leave You", at around the 1:41 mark, you can hear RP in the background in a faint audible singing "I can hear it calling me...", which sounds kind of erie, yet almost comes across as a over-dub.

My question is...is that intentional or was it a misque?

Unintentional. Robert recorded "vocal marks" to know when to come in during certain parts of the song, and some of them could not be fully erased, so the band just left them in, instead of recording everything all over again ... remember, that first album recording session was on Page's dime (as well as maybe Jonesy & Grant, too).

Unintentional. Robert recorded "vocal marks" to know when to come in during certain parts of the song, and some of them could not be fully erased, so the band just left them in, instead of recording everything all over again ... remember, that first album recording session was on Page's dime (as well as maybe Jonesy & Grant, too).

and plant's voice was so so strong back then that it would go onto other tapes.. his voice was at its best back in the early early days

I agree this song is awesome. Who calls the guitar in this song sloppy, lol? This song is perfect (and one of my first favorites, and ultimately wound up to be my very favorite after a few others came and went in that spot)!

The reason sounds bleed through on some old recordings is because of the magnetic properties. The phenomena occurs after the recording and the adjacent tape on the reel affects the layers directly next to them.

This wouldn't happen on a digital recording to a harddrive, only on magnetic tape..

Archived