Jane's Addiction Thread.....

Wolfman

I've been a huge Jane's Addiction fan since 1989. In college, they were by far my favorite of the new bands (early 90's). The original line-up was incredible. I had the pleasure of seeing them live a few times and I have to say, it was very Zeppelin-like in the experience. I'm not saying JA was as good as Zep, but seeing them live had that whole "mind-blowing, unearthly experience" you only get from certain bands. Plus, they are one bad ass crew in the pure-talent sense.

They were still great afterwards with Flea, but something had definitely changed. It wasn't as psychedelic and eerie. They still were a blast to go to. To be honest I didn't dig the post-Flea era very much. Those concerts were way different. So in honor of the REAL Jane's Addiction finally going on tour with NIN, let's hear some thoughts from some fellow fans.

janes_addiction.jpg

Edited by Wolfman

Well this thread is going over like a lead balloon. :D

Hello? Is there anybody out there?

How's it going "Wolfman" as well as our fellow die hard hard core ZEPPELIN fanatics? I really do like the original line-up of JANE'S ADDICTION. My Daughter Lydia really likes them and she was the one that introduced me to their music. I must confess, I actually met Dave Navarro when he was still with Carmen Electra at a Restaurant in L.A. Navarro was a very friendly person and I got both his and Carmen Electra's autograph to give to my Daughter. ROCK ON!

How's it going "Wolfman" as well as our fellow die hard hard core ZEPPELIN fanatics? I really do like the original line-up of JANE'S ADDICTION. My Daughter Lydia really likes them and she was the one that introduced me to their music. I must confess, I actually met Dave Navarro when he was still with Carmen Electra at a Restaurant in L.A. Navarro was a very friendly person and I got both his and Carmen Electra's autograph to give to my Daughter. ROCK ON!

That's awesome. I met Perry in Las Vegas at a boxing fight. I think he was thrown off that I reconized him. He took a photo with me but the flash didn't go off so it's kinda of a dark photo. Very cool though.

I think Perry Farrell has one of the most annoying voices in rock. He sounds like a 12 year old boy taunting kids on the playground. "na na na na na, you can't catch me" and he doubletracks his voice a million times to give it some kind of weight.

Caught them live in a small venue on their last tour. It actually ended up being their last show as they canceled the remaining dates to get some "rest". I would see them again in a heartbeat! Great musicians and high energy on stage!! :thumbsup:

Well this thread is going over like a lead balloon. :D

Hello? Is there anybody out there?

Hahaha, yeah we're out here, or at least I'm out here. Don't know if there are that

many Jane's fans here as when I posted clips from their secret show I went to

last November(their first with the original line-up in 17 years), there was zero

response.

Which is a shame, as Jane's is one of the few bands since the demise of Zeppelin in

1980 to even come close to sounding like they got what Zep was about(unlike all the

stupid hair-metal bands of the 80's) and while sounding similar to Zeppelin still managed

to put their own unique spin on the sound.

You would think anyone liking Led Zeppelin would find much to enjoy in Jane's oeuvre.

Most of the people I met at Jane's shows (saw them over 40 times between 1986-1991)

were also Zepheads.

And while there wasn't and never will be anything like a Zeppelin concert, when Jane's were "on" they could be scary close as hypnotic as a Zep concert.

Forget the various "reunions" of the past 10 years...THIS, the true Jane's lineup of Perry,

Dave, Stephen and, FINALLY!, Eric is the one to see!

Edited by Strider

Hahaha, yeah we're out here, or at least I'm out here. Don't know if there are that

many Jane's fans here as when I posted clips from their secret show I went to

last November(their first with the original line-up in 17 years), there was zero

response.

Which is a shame, as Jane's is one of the few bands since the demise of Zeppelin in

1980 to even come close to sounding like they got what Zep was about(unlike all the

stupid hair-metal bands of the 80's) and while sounding similar to Zeppelin still managed

to put their own unique spin on the sound.

You would think anyone liking Led Zeppelin would find much to enjoy in Jane's oeuvre.

Most of the people I met at Jane's shows (saw them over 40 times between 1986-1991)

were also Zepheads.

And while there wasn't and never will be anything like a Zeppelin concert, when Jane's were "on" they could be scary close as hypnotic as a Zep concert.

Forget the various "reunions" of the past 10 years...THIS, the true Jane's lineup of Perry,

Dave, Stephen and, FINALLY!, Eric is the one to see!

Hey there. I can't wait to see them again. My favorite JA moment came the first time I saw them do "Three Days" live in Birmingham, Alabama. There was this dry ice blowing across the stage and Perry put his arms out like he was crucified and then drooped his head and arms like he was dead. Very creepy yet awesome at the same time. Those were the days. BTW, twice of the many times I saw them, they did a little Zep tease before playing one of their songs (HMMT and IS).

ja-featured.jpg

Billboard

Jane's Addiction is releasing two new studio tracks online today (March 20) via Ninja2009.com, the tour site for the forthcoming co-headlining tour with Nine Inch Nails. The two studio cuts available for free download are "Chip Away" and "Whores," both songs that fans will recognize from 1987's self-titled live release.

"Just to get some creative juice flowing- we went into the studio for about two weeks," Perry Farrell tells Billboard.com. "We had the idea to re-record two tunes, just because they'd never been done officially in the studio. And we had some fun writing some new things. A handful that are close to finished, but not quite done. But there's no rush to put anything out at this point."

Trent Reznor and Alan Moulder were acting as producers for the new cuts. But can fans expect a new record? "I don't think so," Farrell says. "For me, the idea is to introduce one or two songs into this touring cycle along with the ones everybody loves and knows."

The spark that ignited the reformation of the original four members of Jane's Addiction started in 2008 at the NME Awards. "We had a good time together and the music sounded good," drummer Stephen Perkins says.

Not only is the band gearing up for a hefty summer tour, the rarities box set "A Cabinet of Curiosities" is due April 21 via Rhino. The set includes three CDs and a DVD, featuring "Soul Kiss," a documentary on the group and Farrell's movie "The Gift. "I supplied a lot of music to Warner Bros," Perkins says. "A lot of the stuff has never been heard before."

"It's a really nice, fetishy object," Farrell adds. Perkins has also taken some bootleg material and remastered it. "There's some rough sounding stuff, sonically," guitarist Dave Navarro adds. "But it's worth a listen. I have old versions of Zeppelin recordings at home that I don't necessarily throw into rotation all the time, but I like it."

Jane's Addiction gave SXSW attendees as taste of their reformation in the wee hours of Friday morning, ripping through a 55-minute set that drew entirely from the first phase of its career – appropriate since orginal bassist Eric Avery has returned to the fold after a 17-year break.

Playing at a capacity-plus private party sponsored by Playboy and C3 Presents (with Playmates strolling around sporting ears and cottontails), the quartet served up a 10-song sampling, despite problems with one of the sound board cables that briefly threatened to derail the show. Once it was fixed, however, Jane's started with an epic rendition of "Three Days," with frontman Perry Farrell dancing like a dervish while Mohawked drummer Stephen Perkins pounded out the rhythm and Dave Navarro, shirtless and fedoraed, laced solos into the dynamic arrangement. Farrell peeled his jacket and scarf off during "Ain't No Right," ending the song with his arms raised in a triumphant V, then led into "Whores" by telling the crowd it was "lovely to see all you whores out there. How was your day?"

The set drew entirely from 1988's "Nothing's Shocking" and 1990's 1990's "Ritual de lo Habitual," mixing "hit" fare such as "Been Caught Stealing" (for which Farrell donned a pair of shades), "Mountain Song" and "Ocean Size" (but no "Jane Says") with deeper but still well-received songs such as "Standing in the Shower Thinking," the reggae-flavored "Ted, Just Admit It…" and the leaden final encore "Stop."

Visual evidence suggested that any of Jane's well-chronicled rancor has been allayed again; the group members were interactive and clearly enjoying themselves, and Farrell – who's slated to perform a SXSW club show on Saturday night -- finished the night with an arm slung around Navarro's shoulders.

Links referenced within this article

http://Ninja2009.com

Find this article at:

http://www.billboard.com/bbcom/news/jane-s...003953692.story

Jane's Addiction were great. Glad to see Eric Avery back with the band because he, on the songwriting side, was responsible for much of the music.

Jane's, not Nirvana, were really the band were who responsible for ushering the hard rock side of alternative music into the 90's. Nirvana only become big after the Lollapalooza summer tour of 91'. That momentum that Jane's already built from that tour finally broke with Nirvana's "Nevermind" in January 92'.

Well I hope they hold it together this time.

My Faves: "I Would For You", "Idiot's Rule", "Mountain Song" (demo), "Three Days", & "Of Course"

Edited by kakdaddy

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Anyone know in what order Jane's and NIN are going on stage? The first show is tonight, my show is tomorrow night and my GD computer :mad: won't let me into Jane's websites' information area!

Anyone know in what order Jane's and NIN are going on stage? The first show is tonight, my show is tomorrow night and my GD computer :mad: won't let me into Jane's websites' information area!

Not sure about the order but there's a third band also. The opening act will be Tom Morello's new band, Street Sweeper.

P.S. I believe tonight is the first show of this tour so we should soon have a review of who opened first, etc.

Edited by Wolfman

Not sure about the order but there's a third band also. The opening act will be Tom Morello's new band, Street Sweeper.

P.S. I believe tonight is the first show of this tour so we should soon have a review of who opened first, etc.

Hey Wolfman! I answered my own question. Morello's band 1st, Jane's 2nd, and NIN closing. I am going to the Tampa show Sat. night - looking forward to it! I'll let you know what I hear. Peace.

Great show Sat. night in Tampa. NIN's website had Jane's listed as support, but they actually headlined and closed the show. They opened with Three Days, Whores, Ain't No Right and Pigs In Zen. They played only songs from Nothing Shocking and Ritual... Played all of their favorites: Been Caught Stealing, Mountain Song, Standing In The Shower Thinking, Ocean Size, etc. Encore was Stop and Jane's Says. Dave Navarro was amazing and Perry was, well, Perry. His voice didn't seem as strong as on their last tour - but he is still an amazing frontman. Great to hear the original four together again. I don't know if they are flipping the headline part of the show, but it would be very difficult to come out after the energy and set list that Jane's put out.

What show are you going to Wolfman?

Great show Sat. night in Tampa. NIN's website had Jane's listed as support, but they actually headlined and closed the show. They opened with Three Days, Whores, Ain't No Right and Pigs In Zen. They played only songs from Nothing Shocking and Ritual... Played all of their favorites: Been Caught Stealing, Mountain Song, Standing In The Shower Thinking, Ocean Size, etc. Encore was Stop and Jane's Says. Dave Navarro was amazing and Perry was, well, Perry. His voice didn't seem as strong as on their last tour - but he is still an amazing frontman. Great to hear the original four together again. I don't know if they are flipping the headline part of the show, but it would be very difficult to come out after the energy and set list that Jane's put out.

What show are you going to Wolfman?

Camden,NJ (which is right outside Philadelphia). I can't wait and I'm personally glad that JA are the headliners. They deserve to be imo. Thanks for the report.