Jane's Addiction Thread.....

Wolfman

On 8/24/2018 at 3:52 AM, Brigante said:

This - absolutely. A perfect distillation of Jane's and the reasons why they possessed that same magical 'otherness' that straight-up Zeppelin imitators never even vaguely approximate. 
I saw Jane's at Sheffield Leadmill at the end of January 1989 and they totally stormed it. If I said that they carried a half-feral Zeppelin vibe, with a 1000 volts up its arse,
but with post-punk, funk, tribal and psych elements instead of the blues, it'd be an accurate enough description - but it wouldn't convey even half of it. 
All these years later, I'm honestly not sure if I can articulate the impact of them opening with Up The Beach and Whores, and then into 1%, but when Strider says 'it changed your molecular structure',
I know exactly what he means. All the stuff you've heard about early Jane's gigs being surging, mythic, oceanic, shamanic and flat-out fucking mesmerising? It's all true.
You knew right away that this was something special, something completely beyond the norm. I've never seen another band have that effect.
To be in the presence of that in a small club like the Leadmill? I was right - I really don't have the words... 

Well put yourself, Brigante. If you saw them during their original flowering from 1986 to 1991, then you were one of the lucky ones. In fact, when I think of those days the St. Crispin's Day speech by Henry V comes to mind... "We few, we happy few, we band of brothers."

The first reunion tour with Flea on bass in 1997 was good and the one where Eric Avery came back. But even those lacked a certain something. Dave and Perry had changed for sure...where they had once seemed like wild childs, now they were just rock stars.

Funny about that powerful opening of "Up the Beach" and "Whores". In the first couple of years they opened their shows with a variety of songs. You might get "Trip Away" one night, "Has a Dad" the next, or "My Time" or "Up the Beach". It was not until 1988 that the "Up the Beach"-" Whores" tandem became the ritual show opener for the next four years.

This is one of my favourite Whores.

On ‎8‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 4:47 PM, Strider said:

The first reunion tour with Flea on bass in 1997 was good and the one where Eric Avery came back. But even those lacked a certain something. Dave and Perry had changed for sure...where they had once seemed like wild childs, now they were just rock stars.

Indeed, Strider - that indefinable, mercurial 'other' just didn't seem to be there any more. Not that I saw any of those Relapse and later shows in person - I've only seen dvds of the various tours since they reformed and I know that cameras can't always capture the magic that's there in the hall itself, and some are better than others, but none of the ones I've got have that indefinable thing that the '86-'91 shows have. At first, I thought that Jane's were one of those bands where it was the particular chemistry created by those particular people that produced the result and that without Eric it just wasn't going to have the same effect. It's more than that, though, because you're right - even when Eric came back for a bit it still 'lacked a certain something'. Whatever spirit they were channelling first time round, didn't fully reappear. I know what people are getting at when they say it needed Casey to complete the circuit, but I suspect it was also simply that the time had gone, really. As you say, 'they were just rock stars' by then and the Jane's of 1986-'91 were so much more.

• 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...

ritual-de-lo-1598031735-720x720.jpg.809409b1094224ebca89578e79326cab.jpg

Jane's Addiction's long-awaited followup to "Nothing's Shocking" was released on this day thirty years ago...August 21, 1990. And the end of hair metal was finally at hand. "Ritual de lo Habitual" was the first album of the underground bands of that era to reach Billboard's Top 20 in the charts. 
Thanks to my actress friend Jennifer, I had an advance cassette of "Ritual" since January of 1990...I played that sucker constantly. Nearly wore it out by the time the album was released and I could get the official release.
You really had to be there to understand how exciting and volatile the music scene was and the optimism for the future that existed back then.
Of course, what we didn't know until later was that not only was this the death knell for the hair metal bands but also the beginning of the end of the true alternative underground. The Jane's Addiction of today bears no relation to the Jane's Addiction of 1986-1991.
But it was fun while it lasted. And I'm lucky to still be standing.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

30 years ago tonight. The last great run of Jane's Addiction. Sure, Lollapalooza was fun but you could tell something was off. But these Universal Amphitheatre shows were all killer, no filler.

I went to three of the four nights: Thursday January 31, Saturday February 2, and Monday February 4. Nine Inch Nails were the openers on Thursday and Monday. Dinosaur Jr. opened the Saturday night show. Tickets were $25. I recorded the Thursday and Saturday night shows. The tapes were later stolen during a house robbery. I had  made copies for some friends so maybe a copy has survived somewhere.

Between the three shows at the Universal Amphitheatre in 1991 and the three Hollywood Palladium shows December 18-19-20, 1990, I saw Jane's Addiction six times in two months. The difference between the 1990 and 1991 shows were that Perry Farrell had chopped off his hair...his hair was short and blond...and the band added violinist Morgan from the band Camper Van Beethoven to play on the songs "Then She Did", "Of Course", and "Classic Girl".

Christmas lights traversed the ceiling of the Universal Amphitheatre and the stage was covered in the usual Jane's Addiction menagerie of art and statuary and general weirdness.

I had seen Nine Inch Nails in the clubs before but this was most people's first exposure to Nine Inch Nails as their first album had really caught on in the past year. This was also the tour that saw Jane's Addiction 's popularity explode from 2-3,000 seat theatres to arena-size venues, culminating in Jane's headlining Madison Square Garden in April 1991.

The first Lollapalooza tour extravaganza followed in the summer and two shows in Hawaii. Then, an acoustic performance (without Eric Avery) for the L.A. Weekly's Craig Lee benefit at the Hollywood Palace in the fall of 1990 and that was it. Jane's Addiction officially broke up shortly after that. 
The end of an era. But it was a blast for the five years it lasted. Some of the best times and best concert memories I will ever have.

199101_janes_poster.thumb.jpg.e109f2ba02a36ed6989cfec496a9e077.jpg

7 hours ago, Brigante said:

Outstanding, Strider. You saw Jane's more times in that two months than I did in total! Am I envious? Good Christ, yes...

That is how I feel about people who saw Jimi Hendrix, Janis Joplin and the Velvet Underground.

That you saw Jane's Addiction at all is what's most important. Like a comet streaking across the sky, they were only here for a brief period and only those born at the right moment could bask in the trail they blazed. Whether you saw them once or multiple times, everyone who saw them in their original 1986-1991 incarnation is a badgeholder.

Like those who saw Led Zeppelin or DLR-era Van Halen or Bon Scott-era AC/DC. We few, we lucky few.

Edited by Strider

13 hours ago, Brigante said:

Indeed, so. Saw Jane's in 1989, '90 and '91 - once in Sheffield and twice in Nottingham. Would've taken any opportunity to see them, but those were the only times the stars aligned. 

Ah, so you must have been at this one...October 3, 1990.

And/or this one on March 12, 1991.

Edited by Strider

Yes indeed, those were the two Nottingham gigs - I had a tape of the second one and a slightly better version eventually actually came out as Down In Flames.
Parts of Rock City's notorious sticky floor were still on my boots four years later...felt like it, anyway!
I still remember the disappointment when Jane's didn't come back to Sheffield in 1990 and the nagging frustration knowing that they were playing in Leeds and Manchester around the times of these Notts gigs but I only had the money for one gig and had to choose!  
How criminal is it that I had to miss two Jane's gigs for the sake of about 30 quid?! Answer: criminal!

• 1 month later...

My first Jane's Addiction concert. 35 years ago. Friday, March 21, 1986. One of the shows that changed my life…I literally could feel my molecular structure changing.

163329584_3274190766140675_3443649653073870403_o.thumb.jpg.b11e809cba6f2c0e63a481338bf602bc.jpg

Edited by Strider

Early Jane's Addiction from January 1986. This is before Dave Navarro and Stephen Perkins joined the band in March 1986…when Ed Dobrydnio was on guitar and Matt Chaikin on drums.

But you can see Dave and Stephen rocking out in the audience at about the 1:20 mark. I think I know the guy who filmed this.

• 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 3/22/2021 at 11:28 AM, Strider said:

My first Jane's Addiction concert. 35 years ago. Friday, March 21, 1986. One of the shows that changed my life…I literally could feel my molecular structure changing.

163329584_3274190766140675_3443649653073870403_o.thumb.jpg.b11e809cba6f2c0e63a481338bf602bc.jpg

Damn, that's pretty cool. Would have LOVED to see those guys in 86

Totally agree that they were the closest to come to the power and spirit of Led Zep even though I was too young to see LZ when they were around. Jane's was the first modern band I got obsessed with, the only one really, back in 89. I got to see them in 1990 in SF. Primus and Pixies opened for them, how cool is that? But yeah seeing them in 86 in LA ... that must have been something else. I played the 86 demo tapes a LOT in the late 80s and early 90s. While the sound was rougher and much less evolved than what you hear from them in 90, or even the "live" album from 87,  it also felt more primal. Like, absolutely zero filter.  

On 3/25/2021 at 4:48 PM, Strider said:

Early Jane's Addiction from January 1986. This is before Dave Navarro and Stephen Perkins joined the band in March 1986…when Ed Dobrydnio was on guitar and Matt Chaikin on drums.

But you can see Dave and Stephen rocking out in the audience at about the 1:20 mark. I think I know the guy who filmed this.

This is great, thanks for posting. Haven't listened to these guys in forever. Watching this put a smile on my face .. embryonic Jane's ...