Theatre

eagle87

I can't recommend South Pacific at Lincoln Centre highly enough. We saw it last summer and it's breathtakingly beautiful!!! I also liked the revival of West Side Story. And I hear Hair is quite good. We're going to try to see that in July when we're there.

If you don't necessarily have to see a musical, I recommend August: Osage County. Really good family drama.

Mamma Mia is fun. I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

If you haven't been to Top of the Rock, you may want to consider that. I thought the views of the city were much better than from the Empire State Building.

Have fun!!

Thanks for the suggestions, ebk!

I have read great reviews of South Pacific. And Hair would be a fun show to see.

I have visited both the Empire State Building and the Top of the Rock, and I agree with you.

My favorite place to visit in NYC is the Frick Museum, so I will have to make time to go there.

Thanks for the suggestions, ebk!

I have read great reviews of South Pacific. And Hair would be a fun show to see.

I have visited both the Empire State Building and the Top of the Rock, and I agree with you.

My favorite place to visit in NYC is the Frick Museum, so I will have to make time to go there.

I haven't been to the Frick. I'll put that on my list - thanks!

We've also enjoyed walking tours of Central Park, and a walking food tour of Greenwich Village. Lots of fun and some lovely food.

Buck'eye' Doc, I'm soo excited for you, and not a little bit jealous. I posted this before:

http://www.exitthekingonbroadway.com/

It's a weird, imaginative comedy with Geoffrey Rush (who is a great!) and Susan Sarandon in a play that is not performed often at all. If you go, please give some feedback. Have fun!

Thanks, Patrycja,

This sounds like a funny play, with great actors.

I will check out the availability of tickets.

So many great plays to see.

Now I can't decide!

I am going to New York City the last weekend of this month.

Does anyone have any suggestions for a play or Broadway show to see?

I go to NYC every year the last weekend in April. Last year I saw Young Frankenstein. It was not that great. I have seen Spamalot, The Lion King, Fiddler On The Roof, The Producers with Matthew Broderick and Nathan Lane, and of course, The Phantom of the Opera.

I am thinking about seeing Mamma Mia this year.

By the way, I think that I will visit the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Annex while I am there.

Hair and West Side Story are getting really good reviews.

I've seen a couple plays at the Stratford Festival. Unfortunately I didn't get to see Hamlet, but I have seen The Merchant of Venice. I'd like to see: Macbeth, Hamlet, King Lear, and Othello eventually.

I saw Christopher Plummer in KING LEAR a few years ago at Stratford and he and the production were incredible! This year Plummer starred in "Caesar and Cleopatra" at the festival. It was filmed and subsequently released in select movie theatres. Bravo showed it earlier this month (and I missed it :slapface: ). Anyway, here are some clips of the making of (hate to say it, the actress playing Cleopatra is annoying);

http://watch.bravo.ca/specials--docs/most-...tra/#clip153143

Stratford has come a long way, hopefully they can keep it going

Having had to read Shakespeare since I was 13/4, I can safely say that I never want to see a bloody play of his ever again :D

I did Drama GCSE at school, which was wonderful - it was all very 'act like a tree and throw caution to the wind', but we had great fun and it was the only lesson we had where we could walk without shoes. It was in this weird, dark room (everything was a navy blue - including the walls), but it was great. My two drama teachers were very melodramatic - big shock - but they really shaped us as people. Some of my best memories are in Drama.

I'm doing Literature at Uni now and I'm having to read a lot of plays - Henrik Ibsen, Caryl Churchill, Shakespeare, George Bernard Shaw, Euripides, etc - and I'm really starting to appreciate the art of playwriting, especially since I had to write one myself. I even have the script of Almost Famous.

LDW, sorry to hear you had such a bad Shakespeare experience. Sometimes there are teachers who make the most vibrant subjects dull; the best ones can make the most seemingly mundane subjects interesting. Reading and watching, though, are two totally different experiences (as I'm sure you know) so hopefully you won't cut performances of Master Will's plays for good.

I went on a tour of the Globe when it was being built a few years ago (and got a souvenir splinter in my ass for my efforts lol) and have longed to see a play there ever since. Some people get uppity about the problems of recreating Renaissance 'authenticity', saying that it's sort of Disneyfying theatre, but I love it too much not to take in a good show wherever and whenever I can. Good luck in uni :bravo: (and how nice to hear you're doing literature :book: )

I haven't been to the Frick. I'll put that on my list - thanks!

We've also enjoyed walking tours of Central Park, and a walking food tour of Greenwich Village. Lots of fun and some lovely food.

The Frick Collection

The Frick Museum is in a mansion off Fifth Avenue on 70th Street. It was owned by Henry Clay Frick, a 19th/20th century industrialist, ala John D. Rockefeller era. This was his New York City home. It contains all the works of art that he accumulated while he was alive.

There are several Rembrandt paintings, works by El Greco, Renoir, Vermeer, Gainsborough, Constable, Turner, Boucher, Goya, Velazquez, Corot, Degas, Titian, Whistler, and many, many others.

The mansion is also filled with antique funiture, tapestries, sculptures, marbles, clocks, Limoges enamels, porcelins, bronzes, books, and lots more. There is a room of French Roccoco tapestires by Fragonard and Boucher. Stunning.

A few of my favorite paintings at the Frick:

191811121.jpg

Gilbert Stuart's George Washington

IndexTree511.jpg

Vermeer's Mistress and the Maid

191411001.jpg

Renoir's Mother and Children

IndexTree21.jpg

Ingres' Comtesse d' Haussonville

I had a horrible teacher in High School for a unit on Shakespeare - he was so intimidating and did nothing to help us understand the language and meaning of what we read. It was a real shame.

How do you feel about reading Shakespeare now? Or seeing plays? Depending on how much of an asshole teacher a student got stuck with (I had one who dumped the messy contents of a desk on a student's head, hardcover test books and all, to teach him a lesson on neatness :slapface: ), a revulsion towards the material can be long lasting.

I swear to God it seems like so many people went into teaching for the perks of summers off and benefits, and the students were an annoyance along the way. I've had many bad ones, but have been blessed with great ones, too. Who was is - Twain? - who said he never let school get in the way of his education?

Part of the beauty of theatre to me is the blank space where you could try different things out, learn what works, what doesn't. It's very malleable, and sometimes, if you're lucky and you let it, that shapes you in meaningful ways.

How do you feel about reading Shakespeare now? Or seeing plays? Depending on how much of an asshole teacher a student got stuck with (I had one who dumped the messy contents of a desk on a student's head, hardcover test books and all, to teach him a lesson on neatness :slapface: ), a revulsion towards the material can be long lasting.

I swear to God it seems like so many people went into teaching for the perks of summers off and benefits, and the students were an annoyance along the way. I've had many bad ones, but have been blessed with great ones, too. Who was is - Twain? - who said he never let school get in the way of his education?

Part of the beauty of theatre to me is the blank space where you could try different things out, learn what works, what doesn't. It's very malleable, and sometimes, if you're lucky and you let it, that shapes you in meaningful ways.

For the most part, my high school teachers were pretty fantastic but this one wasn't. He was extremely bright but not a good teacher at all. Funny I had a math teacher who was obsessed with how neatly you wrote your heading :rolleyes: Teaching is an artform - being intelligent or well versed in a particular subject doesn't necessarily mean you can "teach" it. It's also a willingness to be a student and keep learning IMO.

I haven't tried to read Shakespeare now but I have seen some performances of his plays which I've enjoyed. I should try to read something. I'm sure I would have a better appreciation for it.

I do love the theater - both plays and musicals.

LDW, sorry to hear you had such a bad Shakespeare experience. Sometimes there are teachers who make the most vibrant subjects dull; the best ones can make the most seemingly mundane subjects interesting. Reading and watching, though, are two totally different experiences (as I'm sure you know) so hopefully you won't cut performances of Master Will's plays for good.

I went on a tour of the Globe when it was being built a few years ago (and got a souvenir splinter in my ass for my efforts lol) and have longed to see a play there ever since. Some people get uppity about the problems of recreating Renaissance 'authenticity', saying that it's sort of Disneyfying theatre, but I love it too much not to take in a good show wherever and whenever I can. Good luck in uni :bravo: (and how nice to hear you're doing literature :book: )

Thank you :)

The problem for me stems from being forced to read Macbeth at the age of 13. I think that if the class had been a little older, or we'd had a less heavy story, we may have enjoyed it. Our teacher was mindlessly dull and didn't explain a thing. And, in schools in England (I can't speak for Wales, Scotland, or NI), Shakespeare is synonymous with exams. I remember reading Romeo and Juliet for our final year of exams, and that was significantly easier to follow, but no one took any pleasure from it because what exams are pleasurable (well - one, and I wrote that about Jimmy :D )?

I absolutely hated reading Henry V for my first year at uni. I couldn't grasp it at all, and had to write an assignment on it - though it was successful, it felt like an ordeal in itself. Yet when I had to read, and do an assignment on, Aphra Behn, I really enjoyed her play called (wait for it)... The Rover.

I'll bet it's cool as grits to be on a stage performing for an audience.I think stage fright would get the best of me though.Man, I hated performing in piano recitals as a kid.Nervous as hell.

I believe I would have to work behind the scenes in theatre.

There's a particular novel set in Birmingham Alabama which I'd love to view as a play. It is by Christopher Paul Curtis, entitled The Watsons Go to Birmingham. Set in the tragic year of 1963. The characters are very 3-dimensional (very Dickensian). My daughter had to read it in 6th grade. Man, I'd give a million to be a part of it (behind the scenes) if it becomes a play!

• 1 month later...

Hi Patrycja and ninelives! Yeah I like Geoffrey Rush too and was happy to see him bring home the Tony last night. This makes me want to see Shine, which I never had a chance to! :)

:thumbsup: Great to hear that. He's a fantastic actor!

So true! He's one of my favourites. I love that he does so much theatre. He studied, by the way, at the renowned Jacques Lecoq theatre school known for stressing physicality in performance. You may not see that as much on screen, but definitely on stage.

Hi Patrycja and ninelives! Yeah I like Geoffrey Rush too and was happy to see him bring home the Tony last night. This makes me want to see Shine, which I never had a chance to! :)

Ooooooh Fan S I'm soo excited for you! It's a breathtaking performance for which he deservedly won an Oscar. Funny how we talk about movies in the theatre thread and theatre in the movies thread, isn't it? ;) It's all good.

So true! He's one of my favourites. I love that he does so much theatre. He studied, by the way, at the renowned Jacques Lecoq theatre school known for stressing physicality in performance. You may not see that as much on screen, but definitely on stage.

Ooooooh Fan S I'm soo excited for you! It's a breathtaking performance for which he deservedly won an Oscar. Funny how we talk about movies in the theatre thread and theatre in the movies thread, isn't it? ;) It's all good.

Hi Patrycja! I know! hahaha! :) It's like a Ying/Yang thang. ;) Speaking of Geoffrey, what range! He can play a dastardly villain (Pirates of the Carribean) with equal ease as an admirable protagonist (Shine) from what I've heard (re: the latter) at least! lol

Say, did you see in the Tony Awards, the beginning medley performance of great numbers including Guys & Dolls, Hair and West Side Story songs? Darn it! I missed that part of the Tony Awards! :angry:

BTW, after last night's performance, I wouldn't mind seeing Rock Of Ages! It's a riot! :P

Hi Patrycja! I know! hahaha! :) It's like a Ying/Yang thang. ;)Speaking of Geoffrey, what range! He can play a dastardly villain (Pirates of the Carribean) with equal ease as an admirable protagonist (Shine) from what I've heard (re: the latter) at least! lol

Say, did you see in the Tony Awards, the beginning medley performance of great numbers including Guys & Dolls, Hair and West Side Story songs? Darn it! I missed that part of the Tony Awards! :angry:

BTW, after last night's performance, I wouldn't mind seeing Rock Of Ages! It's a riot! :P

Well that's quite a compliment (say, you're not Geoffrey Rush are you? :D), but I agree with you. I've seen his vast talents underused ("Munich") and movies where he got to, well, "Shine" them (sorry :P)

I missed a lot of the Tony awards, including the part you mention, in part because I got mixed up with an email alert. I was looking at one that talked about the Tony awards and mentioned 'tomorrow night' but I didn't notice until later that it was from an Australian online paper LOL soooo, by the time I found them it was just before Rush got his award.

I'm not really into musicals, though I wouldn't mind seeing "Hair". I'm off to do some work and watch "Serpico" :drool:

Well that's quite a compliment (say, you're not Geoffrey Rush are you? :D), but I agree with you. I've seen his vast talents underused ("Munich") and movies where he got to, well, "Shine" them (sorry :P)

I missed a lot of the Tony awards, including the part you mention, in part because I got mixed up with an email alert. I was looking at one that talked about the Tony awards and mentioned 'tomorrow night' but I didn't notice until later that it was from an Australian online paper LOL soooo, by the time I found them it was just before Rush got his award.

I'm not really into musicals, though I wouldn't mind seeing "Hair". I'm off to do some work and watch "Serpico" :drool:

Shine was great. I love the movie Hair. Haven't seen a stage production though.

Shine was great. I love the movie Hair. Haven't seen a stage production though.

Hi, ninelives and Patrycja! I saw Hair last summer at the Delacorte Theatre NYC (Central Park). I believe they kept the cast intact for the Broadway production. I loved it!!! Esp. the guy who played "Claude" (he sings "Where Do I Go?", "Hair", "Manchester, England" & more) Good thing my friends and I weren't seated in the aisles cuz the actors did the same thing they did on the Tony Awards show: they went over to random audience members and sat on their laps or performed other silly things. :P:

• 2 months later...

I'm doing Literature at Uni now and I'm having to read a lot of plays - Henrik Ibsen, Caryl Churchill, Shakespeare, George Bernard Shaw, Euripides, etc - and I'm really starting to appreciate the art of playwriting, especially since I had to write one myself. I even have the script of Almost Famous.

Even though this is a few months old, I just have to comment on the Ibsen thing.

I'm from and I still live in the same town that Henrik Ibsen was born in (No connection with the name!), I've never read a play of his but I bloody hate him. :P Mostly because they crammed him down our troats at school so we quickly got sick of him. I can't tell you how many times I've seen his plays at the local theatre with my old school. :lol:

Doesn't make me hate theatre though, I'm going to see a few plays later this month.:beer:

• 1 month later...

Archived