Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Hotplant

Random Thoughts v.3

Well, I've noticed this before, but apparently Conan O' Brien doesn't make mistakes on his show. There are hundreds of youtube videos to back it up.

:D

It is so strange that I am getting to learn so much about the world of Rush's live career and that I am getting to know exactly which unofficial live releases to look out for, etc. and which tour can be considered the holy grail of Rush live footage (for me it is definitely the infamous Down The Tubes tour ;) - will be the happiest girl on earth if live footage from an entire concert from the Down The Tubes tour, saw the light of day). My Rush unofficial releases collection is rapidly expanding.

But in stark contrast, when it comes to collecting Led Zeppelin live stuff, it totally scares me for some reason. I mean I find the process of getting to know the world of Zep's live career to be pretty daunting. :wacko: 

Monterey pop festival started 50 years ago today, man I wish I could dissapear for 3 days and be there

Posted (edited)

After reading about Amazon buying Whole Foods and other grocery retailers taking a hit in the stock market, I went right to my Fry's (Kroger) to pick up a few things and as I walked by a manager, I started pumping my arm saying 'Kroger, Kroger, Kroger' in a show of loyalty and we started talking about it. I love my Fry's (Kroger). And as I was walking through the aisles I was singing Cheap Trick's "California Man," but instead of singing 'I'm a California Man' I was singing 'I'm a Kroger Man'. :lol::bagoverhead:

Edited by luvlz2

Gene Simmons never ceases to amaze me applying for a patent for the "horns" hand gesture. :hysterical:

14 minutes ago, luvlz2 said:

Gene Simmons never ceases to amaze me applying for a patent for the "horns" hand gesture. :hysterical:

Just like Harley patenting their engine sound. Dumb as it gets.

It's been way too long since I enjoyed a quiet cup of tea on the balcony, surrounded by trees, with the wind in my hair, people watching! ^_^

8 hours ago, luvlz2 said:

I saw this yesterday on the news, ridiculous! Jinx Dawson from Coven did it long before he did it, and probably Ronnie James Dio who explained what it meant and called, the mallochio, evil eye in English, it's to ward off evil eyes from people or to bring bad luck onto them depending on how you do it.

34 minutes ago, Kiwi_Zep_Fan87 said:

It's been way too long since I enjoyed a quiet cup of tea on the balcony, surrounded by trees, with the wind in my hair, people watching! ^_^

Sounds nice Kiwi.

44 minutes ago, Kiwi_Zep_Fan87 said:

It was just so blissful! :) 

I imagine it was, I love being surrounded by trees and nature.

:coffee:

As I race towards 60, I'm beginning to wonder why they call it menopause.  It should be men-oh-stop....as in stop bugging me about that please !

With all of the modern technology available like radar, sonar, and satellites, how does a modern warship of any type run into another vessel....especially a commercial one ?  Was the ship recognized, yet mistaken for a pod of whales or something ?  What if this happens to a vessel armed with nukes ?    

9 hours ago, Bong-Man said:

With all of the modern technology available like radar, sonar, and satellites, how does a modern warship of any type run into another vessel....especially a commercial one ?  Was the ship recognized, yet mistaken for a pod of whales or something ?  What if this happens to a vessel armed with nukes ?    

Yes, I don't get this either. This makes no sense in this day with the available off the shelf tech, much less military grade stuff. Hell, even the Titanic had lookouts. Did not do them much good since the ship was going too fast but at least they had an excuse, as stupid as it was.

It was a bad week for justice.

23 hours ago, Bong-Man said:

Prediction: the investigation will reveal one of two things. One, and most likely, the night shift crew on the Navy vessel was screwing off checking Facebook, playing cards and doing everything but their jobs which resulted in them getting crushed by a container ship four time their size. Or two, and less likely, a navigational error occurred that none of the night shift crew corrected in time. 

2 hours ago, SteveAJones said:

Prediction: the investigation will reveal one of two things. One, and most likely, the night shift crew on the Navy vessel was screwing off checking Facebook, playing cards and doing everything but their jobs which resulted in them getting crushed by a container ship four time their size. Or two, and less likely, a navigational error occurred that none of the night shift crew corrected in time. 

I think it's interesting that we don't even hear any speculation.  Heck, the media gives you their two cents on any and everything these days.  Every motorized craft leaves a wake and an audible signal.  You would think some type of alarm would sound, even if everyone was 'asleep at the wheel'.      

The destroyer can detect a submarine miles away underwater, but can't detect a freighter 4 times it's size on the surface a few hundred yards away?  Someone was asleep at the wheel(house) and heads will roll on this one! 

2 hours ago, Bong-Man said:

I think it's interesting that we don't even hear any speculation.  Heck, the media gives you their two cents on any and everything these days.  Every motorized craft leaves a wake and an audible signal.  You would think some type of alarm would sound, even if everyone was 'asleep at the wheel'.      

Good discussion here, with photos and maps: 

https://www.quora.com/How-could-a-US-warship-like-the-USS-Fitzgerald-collide-with-a-container-ship-in-the-open-seas

Heads are going to roll?  Who's the Secretary of the Navy?

13 hours ago, Walter said:

Heads are going to roll?  Who's the Secretary of the Navy?

The Honorable Sean J. Stackley assumed the responsibilities of acting secretary of the Navy Jan. 20, 2017 at noon. 

Stackley, who served as the assistant secretary of the Navy (Research, Development and Acquisition) for more than eight years, carries out the day-to-day responsibilities of the secretary of the Navy until the Trump administration nominates, and Congress confirms, a replacement for Secretary of the Navy Ray Mabus.

If a head rolls, it will be that of the ship's captain, who was actually injured in the incident.

My friend Mike served on the USS Arleigh Burke (the first of this designation) from late 1991 until 1996 as a Fire Control Officer (guy who shoots missiles and stuff). He told me there is only one scenario which explains this: The navigator and or conn officer on deck refused to yield to the larger ship per maritime rules (smaller ships must yield to larger ships, ships to port must yield to ships to starboard). Whoever was in charge, on deck, violated at least two key maritime rules and also a good half-dozen naval rules as well.

He informed me this type of thing (expecting everyone else to yield) happened all the time and the US Navy & Russian Navy in particular have very bad reputation(s) across the globe for this type of behavior. Bottom line: many officers on these ships believe might makes right, unfortunately they sometimes find out the hard way that a 300m cargo vessel vs. a 160m destroyer = bad. In fact the cargo ship likely would have yielded if it were possible, but since it takes a good seven miles to stop a large cargo ship of this size and several miles just to turn, there was nothing the cargo ship could have done.

This is 100% the fault of the officer on duty of the Destroyer.